Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 11:15 AM

909 posts, read 1,836,655 times

Advertisements

That cone hasn't worked for over 20 years. I worked there for 4-5 years and they talked about fixing it back then, 20 years ago. I believe there was a conflict of interest as the old owner sold the building and business but kept the parking lot as a rental.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 3,064 times
Was the East Point Inn also known as Joseph's in East Rockaway? It was fine dining in an old victorian style house. Also, does anyone remember "The Pub" a local bar and "The Theatre Bar." I am going way back to the 1960s and 1970s. Thank you

Old 03-25-2014, 12:32 PM

11 posts, read 21,729 times
Mr. Philly's

late night cheese steaks

Old 01-25-2016, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,643 times
can someone tell me where I can find a picture posted of Maier's Manor 310 Woods Ave Oceanside-- I think that was under the name of Shaw's Tavern as well

Old 01-25-2016, 07:45 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times
You guys are awesome...thanks for starting this post....grew up on Arch St, in between Neptune and Park; went to School #4 elementary, School #1/Merle Ave for Junior HS, and graduated from OHS in '77....yes, many fond memories of the thumbits at Lawson Pub, lobster tail at Cricket Inn, and many more named.

I would like to add a couple of other places you folks missed, unless I lost it in the fine print, that i recall from growing up (I have been in California with the fruitcakes since 1983, but my memory is still damn good):

The Red Store--a classic mom and pop convenience store (think it was damaged during Sandy...Oside Rd & Waukena)
Dairy Barn
The Green Shack (similar to The Red Store, across from Treasure Island)
Phyllis and Bernie's luncheonette I used to sneak to for lunch from Merle Junior High (next to Uneeda Prime Beef)
Smokey's Pub (border of Oside and Baldwin near Silver Lake Park...tshirts: "Get Really Stoned, Drink Wet Cement"
Dee's Nursery (went to college with Bob Lucas)
The Porthole (still there??)
Chicken Delight (delivered as well...much better than KFC)
was there also a 2nd bowling alley...CJ Bowl??...seem to remember a little league team (Commissioner Sam Cooperman) by that name.
Wasn't there a cafeteria style steakhouse, Bonanza?--or was that in Island Park.
D & D Stationers (used to get stickball bats there, as well as at Mel's at Great Lincoln Shopping Center...pensy pinkys also).
Arthur Treachers (still there?)
Rainbow Diner?--on Long Beach Road in the general vicinity of Oceanside Movie Theatre and Merle Jr High
Center Drug
Kiddieland
Middle Bay Country Club (used to caddy there in HS when I needed extra cash...guy named Henry "hey, what day you off")
Daisy Donuts??...I recall my family sticking a pic of some daisies in the front window and the donut truck would stop & deliver donuts to our front door

Honorable mention, not in Oside: Custom Bakers of Island Park--without question, their chocolate layer cake remains the best cake I have ever had in my life....I can taste the frosting as I am typing. Julius Telowitz the proprietor (if correct).

Last edited by elchevere; 01-25-2016 at 08:23 PM..

Old 02-12-2016, 09:04 AM

15 posts, read 83,624 times
Default fond memories

Wow, finally another post in almost two years! I grew up in Ocean Harbor near the train station, went to Boardman elementary and JHS, graduated from OHS in '73. I worked at McDonalds through high school and a few summers when home from college. Left Oside after graduating from college in DC, settled in northern VA and never came back. Moved my folks down here in the mid 80s (they're both gone, sadly). Made a visit to Oside a few years ago with my sister ('76, another sister '80) and niece to show her where we grew up. Visited all the sites, including some of those you listed that were still around. Our old house had been completely remodeled! Had lunch at Peter's Clam Bar in Island Park, with a great view and aroma of the trash dump. You bring back many fond memories of Oside! What a great place to grow up!

Old 02-12-2016, 09:06 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,158,005 times
Now Buffalo Wild Wings, Joe's Crab Shack are the two biggest restaurants in town.

All the diners, the movie theater and bowling alley long out business.

But O-side still has two funeral homes if you want to die in town.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:57 AM

15 posts, read 83,624 times
I recall Towers Funeral Home at Foxhurst and LBR across from what used to be School #1, and Vannella's on LBR near the Triangle. At least what my now feeble mind can recall going back over 40 years!!

Old 02-12-2016, 10:01 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,158,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooba73 View Post
I recall Towers Funeral Home at Foxhurst and LBR across from what used to be School #1, and Vannella's on LBR near the Triangle. At least what my now feeble mind can recall going back over 40 years!!
Towers used to be the summer vacation home for the most famous Oceanside resident of her time. Gilda Gray

Our Little Town

Old 08-14-2016, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,331 times
Default S.v.

Barnum & Bailey Circus elephants Was in a large hanger on the corner of Mott st. & Oceanside rd.
They would take them to what was called the elephant hole by Jakes fish store.which was a small canal that was connected to bedell creek. That section of town was called the neck that the Bedells the Bacons the Miller's lived. There was other families as well that lived on Mott street.rent boats u would you go up to the Abe's polnt or Buds point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island