Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,172 times

Advertisements

I grew up on Madison Ave. Attended the school across from south Nassau hospital and the moved to school #1 through 6thgrade on to junior high and high school graduating in 1962. A great place to live in the 50's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2022, 06:51 AM

11 posts, read 4,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
He hasn't posted on here since 2016
Thanks for the info.

Best!

Old 07-24-2022, 10:52 AM

513 posts, read 837,332 times
I haven't been to Oceanside much but I always found this Our Little Town interesting. I didn't read through the entire topic to see if it hasn't been previously posted...

Old 07-24-2022, 02:15 PM

20,025 posts, read 20,835,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTAC View Post
I haven't been to Oceanside much but I always found this Our Little Town interesting. I didn't read through the entire topic to see if it hasn't been previously posted...
Shame. Oceanside was a nice little town until the 80’s.
Then it went downhill rapidly with development.
Now it’s just an annex of Queens. What a cesspool it’s become.

Old 07-12-2023, 07:39 AM

1 posts, read 824 times
Thanks for posting….Most of my memories are from the early 60s through the 70’s. I went to School 2. They tore down the old school after 1st grade (1964) and they built the new school Florence A Smith school 2, dedicated to the Principal.

Starting with TSS, in addition to hot dogs, pizza and donuts in the front of the store there was also a coffee shop in the back of the store (King George’s) to the right of the record shop (Record World) and across from the smoke shop. The top 100 45’s were behind the counter in the Record Department.

Before the dump (and before Oceanside Park) you could pull your boat up on a small beach and clam in the bay (pollution killed clamming for decades-don’t know whether it ever reopened).
At the west end of Mott St was Bedell’s Boat Yard and around the bend was Wright’s Field (dedicated to Artie Wright, gym teacher and coach at Merle Ave Junior High.
Back to Long Beach Road there was Rudy’s Fish & Chips, the Little Red Barn (drive thru convenience),
Carvel, Nemo’s Army Navy Store
Once you past Nathan’s (formerly Roadside Rest), There was Al’s Pottery across Long Beach Rd from Capri Pizza. Across Anchor Ave from Capri was a big empty lot with the foundation of a house, then came Good Humor.
Lincoln Shopping Center had Food Fair, National Shoes, Woolworth, Cut & Curl, Alice Adams (women’s wear), Center Drug, Ho King (Chinese), Clay Thomas (men’s wear), Gianni’s Italian Restaurant, The Jewish Deli, Mel’s Stationary Store, 5 Star Bakery (great rolls, greasy donuts, and almond raspberry tarts!),Oceanside Cleaners, The Butcher, Pergaments (before it moved to Long Beach Rd..

Before McDonald’s there was an old red house converted to a bar called the Red Flame. There was an Esso (later Exxon) on the corner of LBR & Atlantic, and a Texaco and Sinclair gas Station on either side of Mahland Place.

Before it was John’s Bargain Store it was the Oceanside Post Office until they built the PO across from Tommy Dee’s house that sat on the corner of Atlantic Ave and Lower Lincoln.

Also worth mentioning is Oceanside Bowl (now NYSC) on Lower Lincoln. Going up Lower Lincoln on the right was Smiles (best pea shooters, balsa wood gliders, and parachute men in straws), the police booth on the triangle. On the left side of Lower Lincoln was a gas station, the old fire house, Oceanside Liquor, Luncheonette, Max’s Barber Shop, Sal’s Shoe Repair, Levin’s Pharmacy and Vernon Press (right across from the old Oceanside National Bank).

Between Chwatsky’s (before it expanded) and Pasetti’s was King’s Clothing Store (my mother bought all my shirts/pants/suspenders there - Health-tex when I was <8, followed by a fabric store, a pet store, Passetti’s Johnny Russell’s Don Jay Auto and an Amoco Gas Station. Staying on the east side of Long Beach Rd there was a small clothing boutique (tiny old house), the Seiffert Building, The Log Cabin (forget the name of the bar, then I think the Townie Bar.

On the east side of Long Beach Rd after the bank and Bohacks was the New Bootery (Buster Brown inside), Messler’s hardware, Dixon & Mcafee Dancing School, a laundromat and a real estate on the corner. When I was a paper boy (Newsday 5 cents a day/6 days a week-then they introduced the Sunday edition for an extra 25 cents) I picked up my papers on the corner of Tilrose and Long Beach Rd, next door to the Real Estate agent on the corner.

When you passed Homecrest Court there was Oceanside Movie Theatre before you got to the A&P, across the street was Rainbow Diner, and the Oceanside Motel.

Over to Atlantic Ave, just to add a couple memories - across from 7-11 was a Fish Shop next to the creek and a bar (the Velvet Touch??), then heading west across from the American Legion - the deli mentioned next to A&P was Lou & Flo’s (Dambrosio), and there was an S&H greenstamps catalog store where you could trade in your books of stamps for merchandise.

Sorry if I replicated anything…..I got lost on memory lane. If this triggered more memories- please share

Last edited by Brianmny; 07-12-2023 at 07:45 AM.. Reason: Correct street side

Old 07-29-2023, 02:56 PM

248 posts, read 123,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Shame. Oceanside was a nice little town until the 80’s.
Then it went downhill rapidly with development.
Now it’s just an annex of Queens. What a cesspool it’s become.
It may not be what it used to be, but Oceanside is far from being a cesspool.

Old 07-30-2023, 05:18 PM

293 posts, read 89,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
It's not the same. Definitely on the downward spiral.
Unless you are from Queens, then it's possibly an upgrade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VivienL View Post
It may not be what it used to be, but Oceanside is far from being a cesspool.
Just curious. What's changed? Are some sections much better than others?

Old 08-10-2023, 08:19 AM

Brianmny,
Wow! You just brought back a ton of memories! Lived in Oceanside 1957-1961, ages 10-14. My parents build the house at 3133 Perry Ave. for 12k! Now worth 650k! Unreal.
Went to School 4 and Oceanside Jr. High. Red store was a favorite hang out. Prop. was named Artie, if I remember correctly.
I can go on and on, but you touched all bases.
Thanks for the trip!

Old 12-13-2023, 06:37 AM

Found an old autograph book from School 4. Brought back many memories of classmates and friends. No ideal if anyone is still around, but it would be interesting to find out. Any of these names familiar?

Paul Murray, Joe Monoco, Joe Alvino, Billy Southard, Frank D'Amaro, Peter Speth, Tom Flynn, Ralph Johnson, Judy Tucker, Patricia Garone, Linda Johnson, Charlie Butler, Davey Asniss, Stephen Vukas, Carol Goldstein, Eleanora Quinn, Fred Christensen?

Old 12-13-2023, 02:28 PM

1,184 posts, read 720,152 times
I remember consumers where CVS is now got my snes there I worked at Caldor in the 90sl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island