Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 03:41 PM

20,025 posts, read 20,835,571 times

Advertisements

Stick a fork in Oceanside, it's done thanks to hurricane Sandy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 06:57 AM

1 posts, read 4,015 times
Does anyone remember the name of the hair cutting place on long beach road across from the lincoln shopping center.
it opened some time in the 1970s and they had all kinds of shampoos and conditioners such as strawberry and coconut...
i think it was zodiac???/

Old 01-22-2013, 11:17 AM

15 posts, read 83,662 times
Default Zodiac is a good guess...

but I'm having a senior moment and cannot remember the name, even though I went there for a hair "style" in the 70s. It was in between the bagel shop and savings bank.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:14 PM

3 posts, read 11,313 times
I live on Beatrice Ave, since nov 1971. Every single home in Madison Homes and Treasure Island was flooded. The water on Beatrice was I guess about. Six feet deep. It came just about up to the top of my across the street neighbor's fence. In fact, everyone from School 4 south was hit.

Yes, we rebuilt, but I wouldn't buy any of these houses now. Even tho we had Servpro do a professional clean out and drying, who really knows what's going on behind the walls?

My dentist on Lawson (next to the 7/11) closed, and the 7-11 had a permit in the window. They r still not open, but I think they r working on it.

Gold Coast is gone, they r now Marshall's. I forgot name of sporting goods store was morsans, thought it was Herman's. Radio shack is still there. Bank is still on the end. I remember when it was originally metropolitan savings bank.

The building for the landfill seems to be shut down. Not sure, but I think windows r broken. Y they keep the traffic light there active is beyond me.

No one mentioned the RV sales place that used to be at corner of sands parking lot, before church was even built, if I remember.

There's a Joe's Crab Shack at sands now (but not at corner).

East bay diner is gone. The CVS that was in sands moved there, and a nike store took over old cvs.

Mobil station on Mott is now a useless T-mobile store.

Remember the ice cream cone light at carvel? Gone, thanks to one of the nor'easters of the last few years.

Whitbread lumber looks closed.

Miami grill was changed back to a BK a few years ago.

I remember park and shop, esp the liquidation sale. It's now Payless shoes.

Nathan's is still there, but I'm not sure if the arcade is still a safe place for teens and Tweens.

Shell station is gone. Was vacant for a while due to oil nd gas that had seeped into the ground, but is now a credit union.

Red store has been closed since sandy.

Marty's shoes is back, and there is a new burger place in the front.

The med bldg just down from there had a for rent sign right after sandy, not sure of status now.

Exxon at Atlantic is now gulf. Mel from the stationery store in Lincoln sh Ctr passed away a few yrs ago, I think store is still vacant.

The irony of that cvs is that they had one years ago next to TSS, but closed it.

Gas station on Atlantic across from post ofc is now a 7-11. Post ofc took down all the trees in front.

Someone hit the police booth in the triangle on lb rd, and now it's some stupid little park.

Chwatsky's has been gone like forever. Walgreens tore it down and put up a store. A few yrs ago walgreens moved down to the site of the old movie theater and foodtown, and now modells is where chwatskys was.

Library was expanded.

Cedarhurst paper just became a petco.

Site of theater and foodtown and old candy store where u could get the Sunday paper even if u slept in is now Wild By Nature, a health food supermarket.

Gas station that became American Waffle House is now TD bank.

South nSsau has a new 4 story wing. And a large parking lot for staff.

I remember the old handball court At boardman, which Apple maps calls broadman.

Half the tennis courts at the park were converted to a basketball court.

I didn't know there used to b a circus where the strip mall at Mott and Oside rd is. I just remember the land for sale sign being there forever.

I remember smelling burning garbage from school. In my day, they were promising us a golf course. BTW, middle bay, where I waitressed a couple of summers, had $3M in damage from Sandy. It is now South Bay club, a semi-private golf course.

Former coat factory was finally torn down and they put up condos. I laughed when I saw the holes they dug for the foundations fill with water, I guess that was the pool. Not laughing when I saw all the pods containers after sandy.

Sweater factory is now a dialysis center.

Hope that helps.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:09 PM

Whitbreads Lumber is alive and well. I have always used them as much as possible over the big box stores. I bought most of the materials to rebuild my house after Sandy from Whitbreads.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:11 PM

909 posts, read 1,836,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Whitbreads Lumber is alive and well. I have always used them as much as possible over the big box stores. I bought most of the materials to rebuild my house after Sandy from Whitbreads.
They don't make yardmen like John anymore and June and George are great as well.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:13 PM

I stand corrected. Maybe I'm thinking of the furniture store. I don't get out much.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:24 AM

715 posts, read 1,233,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFD613 View Post

Remember the ice cream cone light at carvel? Gone, thanks to one of the nor'easters of the last few years.

Cedarhurst paper just became a petco.

Hope that helps.
I remember that ice cream cone light! Sad its gone.

Cedarhurst is now petco? I had fond memories of going to Cedarhurst and seeing the lady behind the counter in her chair. Is that a recent development? I haven't been to Oceanside in at least a year.

I remember when Kohls was Caldor. When Marshalls was Gold Coast.
I remember the Oceanside Theater and the class trips we took there. And the motel across the street with the dead body under the bed.

There used to be an Edward's where the Walgreen's and Wild Oats place are. I remember a rumor that the owner of the Edward's intentionally set the fire?

Old 10-13-2013, 10:09 PM

Motel is now a parking lot.

I forgot that foodtown becam3 Edwards bef they closed.

Petco just opened this year, but I think cedar hurst closed a while back.

Thing about the cone is I was told the owner had restored it not long before the storm.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:05 AM

I believe they are going to try to repair/restore the cone. I remember when it blew off it sat in the parking lot for a while and it didn't look *that* bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island