Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 08:55 AM

33 posts, read 161,951 times

Advertisements

My dad has been trying to remember the name of a mens clothing shop in Long Beach in the 50's and 60's. Anyone recall???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 5,263 times
i rember roy rogers on the corner was close to baskin and robins and was a pickle store next to it

Old 08-15-2009, 08:11 AM

4 posts, read 15,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevee View Post
Ruths candy store on Woods Ave.
And...
In the Woolworths strip mall on Atlantic was a hair salon called "Cut & Curl," and the CVS was a store called Consumers Distributing. (catalog store)

Before Marshalls, Gold Coast and The roller rink was Morsan's. It was a sporting goods store.
wow i remember consumers distributing the catalog sale place they were all over the place even when i lived in queens wow forgot all about that

Old 08-15-2009, 08:24 AM

4 posts, read 15,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugBoy911 View Post
Also... The Huge carnival they had behind TSS... There was also a huge protest were everybody lined the streets of Long Beach Rd including myself with my mom, to close the oceanside dump!!! lol.... I forget what Ruby Tuesday's used to be way back in the days, I think it was Pizza Box... They had a sick arcade and I remember big furry mascots... I was so young.. probably like 3-5... NYSC was Oceanside Bowling alley... sucks they closed that down... There was also car racing in freeport way back...
wow dude i went to a few birthday parties there it was called freeport raceway now there is a home depot and kohls there on the road of meadowbrok on the way to atlantic ave in freeport demolition derbys and everything i was sad when it closed

Old 10-10-2009, 06:33 PM

3 posts, read 14,568 times
You have a great list. Just some extras here: Farmer Joel's used to be Farmer Joe's when he was on LBR. Where John's Bargain Store wound up used to be the Post Office. In the mid-50's, we had a class trip to the Post Office (that was somewhere between 1954 and 1957). The shoe store next to Woolworth's was National Shoes (later bought out by Father & Son). There was also the Oceanside Bowl on Lincoln and Smith. Food Fair was the supermarket in Lincoln Shopping Center where CVS is now.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:17 PM

1 posts, read 4,831 times
Who owned Farmer joe's on longbeach rd Oceanside in the 60's? I know there was a little drug store next to them and i think A&P super market

Last edited by CUTTER5333; 01-07-2010 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: added

Old 01-08-2010, 03:19 PM

Default Camp DeBaun comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBaunAlum View Post
Just saw the previous few posts about DeBaun being the last survivor. Well, notices just went out to all the parents of current campers informing them that Camp DeBaun is closing. They will not be back for Summer 2008. Sad to see the last one go, especially since I went there for 10 years back in the 70's/80's.
I lived next door to the man who built the small houses at Camp DeBaun.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:30 PM

Default Just responding

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUTTER5333 View Post
Who owned Farmer joe's on longbeach rd Oceanside in the 60's? I know there was a little drug store next to them and i think A&P super market
You may be right about the location of the A&P on LBR, however my recollection is that the A&P was closer to The Triangle and Bohack's was up near Farmer Joe's. I may be wrong, but that is how I remember it.

BTW- 2 great books about the very early days of Oceanside: Dr. Boardman's THE STORY OF OCEANSIDE and Richard Woods' book IMAGES OF AMERICA OCEANSIDE.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:23 PM

2 posts, read 10,501 times
I used to live in east rockaway. i spent my summers at capri beach club. my parents had a cabana there. i hung out with many kids from far rockaway also coming to the beach club. i remeber lawson blvd, isnt that the street that had a pub, and a cake store, and otb? oh yes, i remember well!

Old 02-08-2010, 07:37 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrymaxine View Post
I used to live in east rockaway. i spent my summers at capri beach club. my parents had a cabana there. i hung out with many kids from far rockaway also coming to the beach club. i remeber lawson blvd, isnt that the street that had a pub, and a cake store, and otb? oh yes, i remember well!
The Lawson Pub. Mickey T was one of the original owners sold it to Howie...the rest is history.

The Whistle Stop built in late 70's Mikey T's brother and sister in-law original owners ...famous for its cheese cakes. Juniors in Bklyn were better but I lived 2 mins from it.

OTB the original one torn down ( too small no parking) Bigger and improved went in on the same location.......like the economy has fallen on bad times

Oh the memories...especially drinking at the Pub.

P.S. does anyone remember the Cricket Inn across the street from the Lawson Pub?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island