Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 03:14 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times

Advertisements

Oceanside was awesome through the late 70's. Then it became mediocre.
Now it sucks. But then again, most of Nassau was probabally much better until the 80's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 06:43 AM

15 posts, read 83,562 times
Default Lawson Blvd.

Hotkarl, your post about the places on Lawson Blvd. was right on. Lawson Pub had an awesome prime rib sandwich which I enjoyed frequently. There was a little deli and hardware store next door. My dad got his coffee and muffin at the Whistle Stop before catching the train to Manhattan. Our dentist was across the street at the corner of Anchor Ave in the little professional bldg, our bank (old Peninsula Nat'l) and butcher, Carvel and a pizzeria was in the little shopping area across from the station, as was Lawson Pharmacy. Is Lawson Cleaners still at the corner of Weidner Ave? Heading north from the station just past Anchor Ave on the left at the north end of the little station lot there was a liquor store, forget the name, still there? I worked at McDonalds during high school and so did my sisters. We'd get our O'side Physical Education apparel for gym class at Chwatzsky's, which I hear is no longer there. Back before global warming the winters were cold enough that the little ponds in Oil City next to the tracks would freeze and we'd skate and play hockey. Man, this was 40+ years ago but I could go on and on!!

Old 09-02-2010, 09:41 AM

2 posts, read 7,190 times
How about the golf driving range on Long Beach Road where the Alhambra townhouses now are. (circa 1958)

Or Mack & Milt's men's store on Long Beach Road, just north of Cortland Avenue.

Or Murray's Bargain Store on Long Beach Road. My parents bought me my first 3-speed bike there.

George Bernard, the greatest bartender in the world (he worked Lawson Pub, Alias Smith & Jones, Back Street Steak House) just passed away a couple of months ago.

Who remembers Miss Bombara from school 8?

Old 10-03-2010, 12:04 AM

1 posts, read 3,594 times
About that old time circus at Mott St. and Oceanside Rd.... My Dad lived with an old man named Bill Hime who sold property there to the circus. I guess in the 1950s. I think that is too far back for anyone living to remember?

Old 10-03-2010, 09:05 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logician7 View Post
How about the golf driving range on Long Beach Road where the Alhambra townhouses now are. (circa 1958)

Or Mack & Milt's men's store on Long Beach Road, just north of Cortland Avenue.

Or Murray's Bargain Store on Long Beach Road. My parents bought me my first 3-speed bike there.

George Bernard, the greatest bartender in the world (he worked Lawson Pub, Alias Smith & Jones, Back Street Steak House) just passed away a couple of months ago.

Who remembers Miss Bombara from school 8?

Now that's a blast from the past....she kicked my out of 8 when I was in 2nd grade ended in 9 Boardman

Old 10-05-2010, 09:42 AM

15 posts, read 83,562 times
Thumbs up When were you at Boardman?

What's your last name? My two younger sisters and I attended Boardman elementary and junior high as well, I left Boardman for OHS in '70 and my sisters in '73 and '77 respectively. I also see you're a fellow Virginian living near Richmond. I'm up I-95 in Arlington.

Bill Goodman

Old 10-12-2010, 03:42 PM

2 posts, read 7,190 times
I went to school 8 - I had Mrs. Berv in 3rd Grade, Mrs. Marks in 4th Grade, Miss Lynch in 5th Grade, and Mr. Whelan in 6th Grade.

Started Boardman Jr. H.S. in 1965, graduated in 1966 - then O.H.S. class of 1969.

Can't believe that it is over 40 years. WOW.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:40 AM

6 posts, read 13,492 times
I remember when Lawson Blvd ended at Montgomery Ave, and there was a foundry at the very end of Lawson. I can't remember what it was called, but my dad had a second job there as a security guard in the late 50s. (actually, I just remembered its' name-AMA). The area was a real wilderness at the time. I also vaguely remember Oceanside Beach. I lived in Oceanside from 1952-65. Attended school #8, then St Anthony's. Nice town.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:42 AM

6 posts, read 13,492 times
Does anyone remember a deli near the railroad station in Oceanside called Jack and Mabel's?

Old 08-08-2011, 07:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,141 times
My aunt Alexandra (RIP) owned "Famous Pizza" next to Carvel on LB Rd.
Anyone remember what took over after TSS went out??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island