Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 01:38 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,009,439 times

Advertisements

My mom worked as a teacher at an elementary school in Oceanside in the early 60's.

Wow, does she have some stories....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 02:33 PM

2 posts, read 14,018 times
Hi all, im new here, but figured i would join in the fun.

My grandmother had the tiny house behind what is now Dunkin Donughts. That house has been vastly increased in size. My father was a volunteer fireman at the old (and "new") Columbia firehouse, which still stands on the corner of West Davidson and Lincoln. My mother went to School #1 which was torn down for a village green. Every so often Trolly tracks still appear on Oceanside Road.

The abdoned Buildings on Mott Street was an old Circus. Near to it was a Tent Revival Church (about where the Waldbaums shopping center is). My friend in HS father was the pastor for it. Coal trains used to deliver coal to the Barnum Isle power plant at 1 am. There was another LIRR crossing someplace on access road in East Rockaway that crossed to Lawson Blvd in Oceanside (an office building with under building parking stands there now)
Before Nathans there was the Road Side Rest.

Saint Anthony's not only had the underground church, but all the chaples were connected together.

There used to be a stream by silver lake that got filled in due to a sewage project.

Going to Oceanside Town Park, there was a boatyard and just swamp.

Oil City Exxon depot.

None of the Town homes behind (what is now Kohls) existed. Any number of the strip malls did not exist on Long Beach Road. Where Sunoco and that small shopping center is on LBR was just a lot (maybe with a creek... i wasnt allowed to play there). On the same block where burger king is was another empty lot, that i used to play in.

My parents first apartment is still there, above the Music store.

Sunyside Road used to be two way (and its a huge mistake that its not now).

School #8 was 1/3 smaller then it is now, with two real playgrounds.

Not every square inch of town was illuminated.

Joe K

Old 01-07-2008, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 14,018 times
Default History 1900-1960

This will blow you away

History of Oceanside- 1900-1960 (http://www.schoolhousegreen.com/History%20of%20Oceanside-%201900-%201960.html - broken link)

Old 01-07-2008, 08:31 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,798,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkgroove View Post
dude, we must have known one another or something....cuz I was there playing suicide EVERYDAY....I also played football or punchball during lunch....I was in mrs. garfield's class, then I had mrs. harwood, then mrs. lehrer, and mrs. cohen, and mr. whaler...you remember these names? I wasn't good at writing in the lines so I went downstairs ti mrs. brodskey. I'm talking 9e stuff too...so I don't know if you just came for jr. high, or if you were at boardman the whole way through like me.

they did call them the madison homes and the same builders made some cul de sacs off of east rockaway road.

Anyway, you remember when all the burnouts would hang out in the back of nathans, and it was actually a little scary to be there! so fun! and remember we had jay fieldler! he was just one or two years older than me and and he would play punchball with us! This is awesome!

Anyone remember ordering delivery breakfast/lunch from the whistle stop on Lawson? YUM!
Wow, I had Mrs. Garfield, Mrs. Lehrer & Mrs. Cohen!! When I was in the 6th Grade I had Lehrer, Gavin and the guy...but I don't remember his name being Mr. Whaley was it like Whalen or something...It's funny how I can still see his face in my mind and it was like 20 years ago he used to call the kids sugar plums. I felt so cool cause we got to "Change classes". Definitely remember Nathans. We must be the same age, I'll PM you. Jay Fiedler was one year older than me, he lived right around the block from me and we used to ride the bus to Boardman.

I was part of the first OHS class that wasn't allowed to go out for lunch!! It sucked because all through elementary and middle school we looked forward to the 9th grade because we go to go out. Me and my friends snuck out every day and went to Mario's Pizza, the Chinese Place next to Mario's and Henry's Deli.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:22 PM

4 posts, read 26,836 times
oh mario's pizza. what year did you graduate? I graduated in 91, and my ninth class was allowed out. I used to cut class at Mario's and play that driving game for, like, two periods! Someone would go and put on the "dreams" by van halen, or "Patience" by Guns n roses. hahaha

Other times I'd go to the chinese place next door. Maybe rent a video in the same plaza. then go to heart to heart for some rock mags and some candy. Sometimes we'd go over to Henry's and get a great sandwich, but if it was to crazy, we'd eat outside at farmer joel's. Then you'd walk back to class and hoped it you wouldn't get splashed by the seniors speeding through the puddles. Remember that?

Old 01-10-2008, 07:37 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,798,790 times
That's how I got caught leaving for lunch !! I was walking back from Henry's on the side of the road opposite from OJC, there was a big fence outside the development where Camp Allen used to be and they ran their car into a puddle. There was no place to run!!!

Funny stuff!!! Oh, BTW I used to play Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles at Marios.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:17 PM

1 posts, read 6,937 times
Exclamation I live in o'side now

im 13 and i live in o'side now, i live across the street from wrights field and now its big to hit balls across bedell creek, everything's developed now, no one has a clue about treasure island day camp, but life sounded crazy bak then with the pron magazines blowing everywhere and dirt bikes, me and my friends have actually got on the old dump and went snowboarding down it.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:54 PM

1 posts, read 6,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
AWESOME MEMORY!!! I loved the Pizza Machine and had a birthday there When I was growing up the perfect weekened was spent at Hot Skates, Pizza Machine, Top Rollers, or if we were lucky a trip to Nunleys.
omg i'm from baldwin class 1990 and i too remember and miss nathan's nunley's, hot skates, top rollers, gold coast flea market, the dumps are now the gap and shopping center well last time i was on LI.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 6,901 times
Default DeBaun

Just saw the previous few posts about DeBaun being the last survivor. Well, notices just went out to all the parents of current campers informing them that Camp DeBaun is closing. They will not be back for Summer 2008. Sad to see the last one go, especially since I went there for 10 years back in the 70's/80's.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:46 PM

2 posts, read 11,336 times
What a great walk down memory lane. I grew up in Baldwin, then lived in Oceanside from 1972-1988 when I moved to fForida where I still reside. I go to long Island about once a year, and I see how things have changed. Hopefully Oceanside is still a nice place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island