Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2010, 04:45 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,761,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Says the white guy, I'm white too, who is at the top of the food chain. I had black friends growing up and what they went through on a daily basis was shocking.
People like you obviously never had black friends and obviously lack the imagination or desire to try and understand what they go through.
Ah I see, of course, typical. You missed my point.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:02 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,064,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtoal View Post
^^^^^^I think you are WAY TOO obsessed with this racism, hatred, non progressive, good 'ol boy agenda. Look, these issues are everywhere and emailing a public forum will yield ALL kinds of answers because people are giving you their opinion and are biased (for the most part). Texas has some not so good areas/people and Texas has some great areas/people....just like Florida does. If you want to move here, move here but don't worry about all this "stuff". It likely will just drive you nuts.
Far from obsessed--Just wanted to know what some of the masses think...It's ultimately up to me. I hold the keys to my destiny. No one else does. I find this dialogue to be very interesting, So do the others that chose to participate on this thread, including yourself.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:33 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,761,631 times
ChicaBella, yes, it is ultimately up to you but I think you will like/love living in TX, especially the DFW area, which is where I live, so welcome whenever you make your big move. Unfortunately there is racism/issues everywhere and it sucks! You think this day and age, it wouldn't be that way. I don't think the previous post understood my point.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:47 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,064,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtoal View Post
ChicaBella, yes, it is ultimately up to you but I think you will like/love living in TX, especially the DFW area, which is where I live, so welcome whenever you make your big move. Unfortunately there is racism/issues everywhere and it sucks! You think this day and age, it wouldn't be that way. I don't think the previous post understood my point.
Thanks...I think your first post came off of as judgemental because you made a judgement by stating I was too obessessed I think that is why the other poster reacted that way. Thanks for the welcome. I like Collin County hands down...so I already know that I will be in Allen or Plano. Its funny how people out in DFW determine where they live based upon where they work. Here in Florida its the opposite. I guess its due to the traffic there? You guys do have alot of traffic and congestion than what I am used to. But bottom line I think these forums are great to learn from one another. One may have a perspective that another may not have. Its ultimately up to the reader to decide if he/she will add that idea or deduce it from the knowledge that they already have.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:20 PM

Location: Michigan BAY-BEH!!(Texan by birth, Michigander by choice!!)
183 posts, read 289,299 times
Smile East Texas falsehoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
Where is the golden triangle region?? Isn't that near the Louisana border?? I wonder why there is more racism on the eastern side of Texas?? I have not visited the eastern side..Have no real intentions to...Just wanted to know a little more about the state. Lovely state though.

I actually live in East Texas (about an hour east of Dallas) and though I do notice some racist attitudes here, it really isn't as prevalent as people make it out to be.I was born and raised in this area as were some of my very best friends (who happen to be a mix of black, hispanic and asian). I have never hard or seen anything remotely racist toward them and they state the same... that they are treated just like everyone else. Just because of some isolated incidents (like what happened in Jasper) East Texas gets a bad rap for being redneck and racist.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:52 PM

40 posts, read 135,309 times
There aren't many racist areas where the "Nascar" culture thrives in Texas except in the deep east along the Arkansas and Louisiana border, and there is a little bit (I mean minimal) racism in the Panhandle area. Everywhere else in Texas is not so bad. It's a pretty diverse place and the bigger cities especially are awesome places, though I'm not a big fan of the Houston humidity.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:56 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,974,119 times
There are racists anywhere there are people.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:01 PM

580 posts, read 1,082,277 times
I'm sure someone's already said something about Jasper, TX...sadly, some extreme bigots did wrap a chain around a Black man's neck and dragged him behind their truck for several miles.
Otherwise, most areas in Texas, even the more rural areas in West Texas, are usually pretty cool with diversity. The bigger cities are gonna be fine, in most cases, but there's always the one racist who ruins it for everyone.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:04 AM

1 posts, read 3,331 times
Default LOL not true

I was born in Port Arthur and grew up in Orange, and let me tell you, racism is still alive and well in this area (not just from whites, but from all races). It's not just race either, people in that area don't like outsiders at all. If they know you, then they'll do anything for you. But if you're an outsider of any kind, they won't give you the time of day. It is a very culturally backwards place and seems to always be about 20-years behind everywhere else. Even being only an hour and a half east of Houston, it feels extremely isolated and depressing. I got out as soon as I could and I only go back when I have to. When my dad retires, my parents are getting the hell out of there as well and hopefully I'll have no reason to ever go back.

BTW, "Latino/Hispanic" is NOT a race, it is an ethnicity. There are Latinos of all races (white, black and Asian). I really don't understand why people classify this as a separate race (even people within the ethnicity). Ask a Hispanic person what is listed under "race" on their birth certificate. There is a reason why the Census bureau has the classifications "White Hispanic", and "White Non-Hispanic".

lol I AM FROM ILLINOIS AND WORKED THE TRIANGLE AFTER BOTH RITA AND IKE. I WAS AN OUTSIDER AND ALL THAT ABOUT THEM NOT LIKING OUTSIDERS IS HOG WASH. THE PEOPLE OF THE TRIANGLE ARE VERY TRUSTING PEOPLE AND FOR THE MOST PART IF YOU STAY OUT OF THE HOOD EVERYONE GETS ALONG!

Old 04-19-2010, 01:23 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,781,941 times
The city of Austin planned and implemented a city wide plan to get blacks out of white areas of town into East Austin in around 1930.
Heres the disgusting page that bemoans the fact that segregation laws are unconstitutional but they plan to create a 'negro' district to draw 'negroes' into this area and away from the white areas of town.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/carver/do...typlanpage.pdf

Today if you're black but of means in a white area of town especially an older neighborhood you'll be met with silent racism perhaps some stonewalling or dirty looks.

In youth areas if you 'fit in' with the white kids you'll be treated well but probably draw more unwelcome attention from police and authorities if you're a black male or particularly if you're a large black male.

Any 'differences' between you and a stereotypical white person of your age in Austin will be perceived as you being hostile. Its not like NYC where you can wear typical urban African-American youth gear and its normal and no one bats an eye. You will be targeted, and harassed, made to feel unwelcome in stores by staff/customers and basically shunned.

So its an incredible joke to say that Austin is just swell and welcoming to blacks. What a joke this is the town that spent big bucks to segregate them 80 years ago. The apples dont fall far from the tree despite what anyone from here wants to tell you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas