Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 04:32 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I dont think thats what he/she meant. I think he/she meant that there is racism everywhere. Its not specific to one region, city, or state.
Yes, exactly. And you have got to be kidding about NYC. I've personally witnessed some of the worst of it up there..society doesn't go for race.

But all that said, the switch is...if you look for something hard enough you will find it...there or not. It's knee jerk..just like the previous post. And Just like I have thought I hit sexism because I was expecting/looking for it.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:02 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,062,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Wow, are all the proud Texans out to lunch today? Here, I'll fill the void: "Ain't nowhere in Texas racist-- San Francisco is where all the racists are-- dang controlling the blacks with welfare! Excuse me while I go stock my bomb shelter with canned goods-- FEMA is coming!"
Wow..Very sad... I wonder if the majority of those from Austin think like you...

Old 01-26-2010, 05:09 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,062,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
I was born in Port Arthur and grew up in Orange, and let me tell you, racism is still alive and well in this area (not just from whites, but from all races). It's not just race either, people in that area don't like outsiders at all. If they know you, then they'll do anything for you. But if you're an outsider of any kind, they won't give you the time of day. It is a very culturally backwards place and seems to always be about 20-years behind everywhere else. Even being only an hour and a half east of Houston, it feels extremely isolated and depressing. I got out as soon as I could and I only go back when I have to. When my dad retires, my parents are getting the hell out of there as well and hopefully I'll have no reason to ever go back.

BTW, "Latino/Hispanic" is NOT a race, it is an ethnicity. There are Latinos of all races (white, black and Asian). I really don't understand why people classify this as a separate race (even people within the ethnicity). Ask a Hispanic person what is listed under "race" on their birth certificate. There is a reason why the Census bureau has the classifications "White Hispanic", and "White Non-Hispanic".
Most Latinos prefer to be referenced as Latino or Latina because not every latinos origin stems from Spain--thus Hispanic---But I get what you mean...

I have seen some of spanish origin get very offended by being called Hispanic---I don't get into symantics---I think whatever---Whatever the person feels more comfortable with.

Whites don't care if they are called caucasian or white. But to be politically correct Caucasian. SOME blacks don't care--and Not all blacks origin derives solely from Africa,---for instance those of Carribean heritage DO NOT like to be called African American.

It makes life way too confusing sometimes.....

Old 01-27-2010, 09:23 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
Also, they have some quasi-racist ads down there that would never fly here in America.
FYI, it's a different country and a different culture.
"Negrito" doesn't exactly mean "Little n.....r"

I knew at least 2 guys where I grew up that everybody, including their family called them "El negro" and one of them was nowhere close to looking black and is very common for people to call their sons/daughters "negrito/negrita".

Yes, there's racism in Latinamerica, it's just a little different from the one here.
After this commerical came out when I was a kid.... everybody would call the black kids like those waffers 'Sorbetico"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jqtqe3Cp8E

Old 01-27-2010, 11:28 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
I was born in Port Arthur and grew up in Orange, and let me tell you, racism is still alive and well in this area (not just from whites, but from all races). It's not just race either, people in that area don't like outsiders at all. If they know you, then they'll do anything for you. But if you're an outsider of any kind, they won't give you the time of day. It is a very culturally backwards place and seems to always be about 20-years behind everywhere else. Even being only an hour and a half east of Houston, it feels extremely isolated and depressing. I got out as soon as I could and I only go back when I have to. When my dad retires, my parents are getting the hell out of there as well and hopefully I'll have no reason to ever go back.

BTW, "Latino/Hispanic" is NOT a race, it is an ethnicity. There are Latinos of all races (white, black and Asian). I really don't understand why people classify this as a separate race (even people within the ethnicity). Ask a Hispanic person what is listed under "race" on their birth certificate. There is a reason why the Census bureau has the classifications "White Hispanic", and "White Non-Hispanic".
I can't speak for PA or Orange, but Beaumont isn't half bad. Not nearly as pretty scenery, or as manicured looking as Tyler, but that is a given due to its location. It seems like there is a little more stuff to do down there though. Their mall is much larger & has a bit better stores. I also like the fact is it so close to the coast & just a 1 1/2 hour drive from Houston kinda like Tyler is to Dallas. Visit friends there often for parties, but don't think I could ever live in Beaumont.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:23 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
Most Latinos prefer to be referenced as Latino or Latina because not every latinos origin stems from Spain--thus Hispanic---But I get what you mean...

I have seen some of spanish origin get very offended by being called Hispanic---I don't get into symantics---I think whatever---Whatever the person feels more comfortable with.

Whites don't care if they are called caucasian or white. But to be politically correct Caucasian. SOME blacks don't care--and Not all blacks origin derives solely from Africa,---for instance those of Carribean heritage DO NOT like to be called African American.

It makes life way too confusing sometimes.....
ALL black people are from africa. blacks in the caribbean did not originate there, they were brought to those islands just like black americans were brought to the united states

Old 01-28-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
FYI, it's a different country and a different culture.
"Negrito" doesn't exactly mean "Little n.....r"

I knew at least 2 guys where I grew up that everybody, including their family called them "El negro" and one of them was nowhere close to looking black and is very common for people to call their sons/daughters "negrito/negrita".

Yes, there's racism in Latinamerica, it's just a little different from the one here.
After this commerical came out when I was a kid.... everybody would call the black kids like those waffers 'Sorbetico"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jqtqe3Cp8E
i dont care if its a different culture. its still racist

the pictures on those "negrito" ads are obviously meant to depict someone of african heritage. especially the older ad which shows that little child in blackface, which is by the way the most insulting potrayal of blacks you could ever make

there's a reason those ads wouldn't fly in america, because its downright inflammatory

Old 01-28-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I think this is absurd and your friend is generalizing perhaps an isolated incident he/she witnessed.

Race relations in San Antonio are all things considered - healthy.
yeah well living there, i would say that the race relations in san antonio are a little too familiar for my tastes. being constantly surrounded by non-blacks who thinks theres absolutely nothing wrong with spitting out the word "n---a" whenever they please. and people who pretty much get all their information about our culture from 106 and park

now i'm not judging the entire city by my experiences alone, but while san antonio is no east texas when it comes to race relations, it certainly isn't dallas or houston either

Old 01-28-2010, 10:47 AM

5,447 posts, read 7,740,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
ALL black people are from africa. blacks in the caribbean did not originate there, they were brought to those islands just like black americans were brought to the united states
You're missing the point. There is a distinct African-American culture here in the US that is based on the centuries-old experience of blacks living in America...from the colonial days and slavery on up to the present day. In fact, most black Americans have roots in America that reach far deeper into the past than most white Americans, the majority of whom are descended from late 19th and early 20th century European immigrants.

Caribbean blacks and black immigrants from Africa are not a part of that African-American culture. Obviously they are black. But they don't necessarily identify with or are a part of the traditional African-American culture here in the US. Caribbean blacks are no more African-AMERICAN than I'm English just because I'm white and speak English.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
You're missing the point. There is a distinct African-American culture here in the US that is based on the centuries-old experience of blacks living in America...from the colonial days and slavery on up to the present day. In fact, most black Americans have roots in America that reach far deeper into the past than most white Americans, the majority of whom are descended from late 19th and early 20th century European immigrants.

Caribbean blacks and black immigrants from Africa are not a part of that African-American culture. Obviously they are black. But they don't necessarily identify with or are a part of the traditional African-American culture here in the US. Caribbean blacks are no more African-AMERICAN than I'm English just because I'm white and speak English.
no i did not miss the point. chica_bella basically said that all blacks are not from africa, and that is not true. that's what i was replying to

now as far as caribbean blacks not identifying with african-american culture, that's not always true either. there are many traditions and cultural aspects shared between us blacks here in the united states and those down in the caribbean. even where there are differences, we share common ideals as we are all generally the descendants of slaves
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas