Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 01:41 PM

57 posts, read 175,585 times

Advertisements

Is there any place in Texas where the weather isn't real humid? Hubby and I have been looking at Idaho to retire but are concerned about the amount of snow there, so thought we'd take a look at Texas too.

Also, property taxes seem high in Texas. Are there any help for seniors?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 02:04 PM

8,610 posts, read 14,916,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binkie99 View Post
Is there any place in Texas where the weather isn't real humid? Hubby and I have been looking at Idaho to retire but are concerned about the amount of snow there, so thought we'd take a look at Texas too.

Thanks!
Do ya like heat? The drier areas of Texas are typically found in West Texas. Amarillo, Lubbock, Midland/Odessa, and El Paso are all fairly dry and very toasty during the summer. Amarillo and Lubbock also get blasted by snow from time-to-time.

If you don't mind living out in BFE there are probably some folks who'll recommend Alpine, Fort Davis, and Marfa to you.

Property taxes in Texas are fairly high. The state does offer a homestead exemption as well as an over 65 exemption on property taxes.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:14 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,205,294 times
What do you think is humid? Where have you been that you thought it was humid?

Texas is less humid than the east coast. It is less humid than the gulf coast, though Houston is not much different from New Orleans.

Austin's summer climate starts in the morning with a fair amount of humidity and finishes the day around 45%. Most of Texas is less humid than Atlanta for example. Dallas is about the same.

Property tax rates in Texas are higher than most parts of the US. But since your property tax bill is dependent on the value of your home the actual money spend on property taxes may not be so high depending on how expensive of a home you have. On a national scale homes in Texas are more affordable. A typical property tax rate in Texas is 2.5% of assessed value. People over 65 in most parts of Texas have an over 65 exemption that freezes the assessed value used to calculate school taxes. That is usually the single largest part of your property tax bill.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:26 PM

Thanks for answering bluescreen and huffdano!

We live inland from San Diego. It gets pretty warm in summer but low humidity. We've been to Florida and thought our armpits were going to rot, it was so humid.

Hubby and I are NOT looking to bring California ways with us. We believe in "live and let live."

We'd like a smaller community but not too far from medical facilities.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:39 PM

714 posts, read 2,935,136 times
Ft. Davis or Alpine, I like BFE.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:17 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,890,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboybootnut View Post
Me, too.....LOL!!

Old 07-17-2012, 05:15 PM

Thanks cowboyboot and Cathy!

Old 07-17-2012, 05:25 PM

51 posts, read 103,029 times
Quote:

We'd like a smaller community but not too far from medical facilities.
Midland is dry and is finishing up a new and pretty good sized hospital facility. Anyone in the surrounding areas in need of medical help is sent there as well.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:29 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,174,562 times
Quote:

Thanks!
People tend to forget that property taxes are high because there is NO state income tax. The state has to get its money someplace.

As for retiring from San Diego to Texas, I would think long and hard about that. There are much better options, IMO, than anywhere in Texas. Far west Texas is very dry, but also very hot in the six months of summer there.

Idaho does not get that much snow in some places. I like Lewiston/Clarkston area for the fact that it is known as both the "Banana Belt" for its mild winters and "Idaho's Seaport" for its great waterways. Summer can be hot, but only for brief spells. Southern Idaho (Twin Falls, etc.) is very arid with fairly mild winters.

I would also look closely at places like Las Cruces, NM and Flagstaff/Sedona, AZ. As well as the more expensive Santa Fe/Taos area. Ruidoso, NM is also a retiree haven with very tolerable winters and mild summer temps, but at higher elevations than some older people may be comfortable with.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:30 PM

11,867 posts, read 26,914,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboybootnut View Post
Keep in mind those cities are extremely remote and do not have decent hospitals. If either of you needs care, you will be going hundreds of miles away to Midland/Odessa or El Paso.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas