Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 09:29 AM

57 posts, read 175,453 times

Advertisements

I really appreciate all the information. This is a difficult decision but CA just isn't affordable and it is getting worse. I do fear the health care situation and finding a new doctor but my doctor has said he will probably leave medicine now.

Wjen I was younger I used to laugh at my parents when they spoke of the "good old days," but now I find myself thinking in the same terms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 07:08 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
I'm from California and I chuckled at a t-shirt that read, "California: You Can't Afford It." True for most of us.

As for humidity, I live near Houston and that's certainly not where to move if you don't like humidity. It is ridiculously humid here.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:02 AM

57 posts, read 175,453 times
Thanks Topaz!

Old 11-21-2012, 03:38 PM

12 posts, read 44,490 times
OMG! My head is swimming with all the info on this thread..
Ok, first, hi everyone, Im new here and I kept typing in the title of the thread in a search and kept being brought to this thread so I decided to join..

Ok, heres my deal..left western NY cuz too humid and cold and expensive..lived in Tucson for 11 years and then during a brief period of insanity i moved to central florida! I am now looking for something kind of in between the two extremes but more on the dry side and with MILD winters. I have fibromyalgia and cant handle being cold. Another issue is having a VERY limited income.. I DO NOT like AC and did fine with a swamp cooler, but dont want to go back to Tucson. As far as Texas and what Ive read, people are suggesting Alpine. midland area.. any more suggestions? It doesnt even have to be Texas but it seems in the middle and not as cold as more northern states. Thank you!

Old 11-21-2012, 04:05 PM

795 posts, read 1,585,677 times
San Angelo has mostly dry heat (not all the time though) except when there are T-storms in the area. But the summers are still hot. I've gotten used to it over the years so its not a big deal anymore. I'm a warm weather person anyway.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:32 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
Houston is no different then Florida when it comes to humidity.
I lived in Tallahassee and it seemed like it was more humid than Houston. It would rain about 5-6 days out of the week in the summer, and that rain was the direct result of the humidity. Houston is humid, but generally not 90%+ humidity and it doesn't rain nearly that much in the summer.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:47 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc41 View Post
OMG! My head is swimming with all the info on this thread..
Ok, first, hi everyone, Im new here and I kept typing in the title of the thread in a search and kept being brought to this thread so I decided to join..

Ok, heres my deal..left western NY cuz too humid and cold and expensive..lived in Tucson for 11 years and then during a brief period of insanity i moved to central florida! I am now looking for something kind of in between the two extremes but more on the dry side and with MILD winters. I have fibromyalgia and cant handle being cold. Another issue is having a VERY limited income.. I DO NOT like AC and did fine with a swamp cooler, but dont want to go back to Tucson. As far as Texas and what Ive read, people are suggesting Alpine. midland area.. any more suggestions? It doesnt even have to be Texas but it seems in the middle and not as cold as more northern states. Thank you!
Midland and Alpine do have low humidity, but also have colder temperatures. You might want to consider Kerrville and Fredericksburg, they have slightly warmer temperatures and less snowfall but also are slightly more humid. You can look up the weather charts for any Texas community here https://www.city-data.com/city/Texas.html?filter=alpine

Midland

Alpine

Fredricksburg

Kerrville

Texas is a big place with a large variety of climates.

http://terra.rice.edu/department/fac...vers_fig01.jpg

Old 11-22-2012, 02:18 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Midland and Alpine do have low humidity, but also have colder temperatures. You might want to consider Kerrville and Fredericksburg, they have slightly warmer temperatures and less snowfall but also are slightly more humid. You can look up the weather charts for any Texas community here https://www.city-data.com/city/Texas.html?filter=alpine

Midland

Alpine

Fredricksburg

Kerrville

Texas is a big place with a large variety of climates.

http://terra.rice.edu/department/fac...vers_fig01.jpg
Aren't you originally from WY, IIRC? If so, I bet it took you a long time to adjust to the low elevation and hot, VERY humid summers of Austin. Fredericksburg and Kerrville are just about as bad as Austin when it comes to the summer combination of heat and humidity.

Midland was a lot colder and snowier in the 70s and 80s than it is now, and the summers are unbearable in practically all parts of Texas most years. But Midland, Lubbock, Alpine and the Panhandle areas will be on the dry side with mostly mild winters--though the Panhandle can have severe winters some years.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:39 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Aren't you originally from WY, IIRC? If so, I bet it took you a long time to adjust to the low elevation and hot, VERY humid summers of Austin. Fredericksburg and Kerrville are just about as bad as Austin when it comes to the summer combination of heat and humidity.

Midland was a lot colder and snowier in the 70s and 80s than it is now, and the summers are unbearable in practically all parts of Texas most years. But Midland, Lubbock, Alpine and the Panhandle areas will be on the dry side with mostly mild winters--though the Panhandle can have severe winters some years.
IIRC? If you are talking to me, I grew up in Wyoming and got to Texas via Wyoming --> Arizona --> California --> Colorado --> Texas. Arrived in Texas 35 years ago. Yes I still don't care for the hot humid summers.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:46 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
IIRC? If you are talking to me, I grew up in Wyoming and got to Texas via Wyoming --> Arizona --> California --> Colorado --> Texas. Arrived in Texas 35 years ago. Yes I still don't care for the hot humid summers.
IIRC = "If I recall correctly..." and yes, I was addressing you.

The demographics, politics, scenery and some of the weather in WY really appeal to me, and if it weren't so far from home and family, I'd be up there in a heartbeat. Not sure I could stand the worst part of the winter, though.

I really think that a couple of the posters on this thread should spend part of a summer in any part of Texas before they make the decision to put down roots there. Having grown up in dry WT, it amazes me that I tolerated heat like that when I was younger, dry notwithstanding!

Can't handle it now, and even if I come home, I won't be spending June-mid-September there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas