Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 03:02 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,972 times

Advertisements

Midland/Odessa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 03:47 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,761,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
It has been extremely humid lately and Austin being at the 45% range isn't happening right now. The dew points aren't getting out of the 70 range. When it is and if the temperature is 95 degrees (definitely happens this time of year) with the humidity at 45%, that translates into a dew point of 70.28 and that is very uncomfortable.

To the OP: I live north of Austin and was walking last night at 8:30 p.m. The temperature was ONLY 78 degrees, the humidity was 78%, and the dew point was 71.6. It was miserable so don't let temperatures in the 70s fool you. I was sweating bullets.

Also, Texas has the highest homeowner's insurance rates in the entire country and the utilities aren't cheap either.

I also have been looking at Idaho for retirement and yes, there are sections that don't get all that much snow.

You might want to visit Texas in the summer before you decide. It can be beastly and miserable and usually is. Now, from November to early April, it's usually really nice.
Very good advice about visiting in the summer. I would always suggest that everyone visit the city they are thinking of moving to at least once and preferably at a time when the weather is the tougest. An example would be visiting a Northeast / Upper Midwest city in the dead of winter to see if you can tolerate the cold and snow for 4-5 months.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:42 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Is there any part of Texas where it isn't real humid?

Seek elevation. Generally west of I-35. The more west the more elevation.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:58 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
I live north of Lubbock near a very small rural community but Lubbock has excellent health facilities, at least right now. This may be in part because Texas Tech has a medical school. I don't know. I mention that the facilities are excellent now because the medical world is likely to be thrown on its head with the recent SC decision. My primary doctor (middle-age) is talking about leaving the profession entirely.

As far as low humidity, I write this as a swamp (evaporative) cooler runs in the window. Most of the time this summer on the Texas south plains, swamp coolers have been able to maintain at least a 20 degree differential in outside and inside temperatures. However there are some days when humidity (plus 50%) nearly shuts down evaporative processes.

I have to say that a move from San Diego to anywhere on the Texas south high plains would be a very dramatic change for anyone but I will wish you the best of luck whatever decisions you make for your retirement.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:58 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,273,099 times
Well I used to live in San Angelo and it might work for you. Population 110k, humidity averages 44% although higher in the morning, several hospitals and I think the West TX Rehabilitate Center is there. I found it to be a friendly town and there are a couple of retirement centers there so despite the college and base it isn't all 20 somethings. Great community, low COL, and decent weather. Hot summers but maybe one small dusting of snow a year. It's dry but windy so if dust rather mold is an issue it would be a bad choice. Oh and despite what people tell you about the distance to Dallas, we were from San Antonio and the drive there was 2-3 hours. Plenty of big city shopping on the north side of.San Antonio

It's pretty conservative and when I lived there...Baptist...so it might be a drastic change from CA. Loved the small town manners despite the size. And the college and base made it more diverse and at least to me, seemed to have less racial issues then you might find elsewhere in a town that size.

Last edited by TXsurburbanmom; 07-18-2012 at 11:26 PM..

Old 07-19-2012, 09:29 AM

57 posts, read 175,453 times
Thanks so much for all the replies! I will check out all the towns mentioned.

hoffdano, The cost of living in CA is very high and we really need to live somewhere in retirement that is more affordable. With CA's financial problems, which the politicians refuse to face, the COL is going to keep getting higher and higher. The traffic is terrible and that's one of the reasons we'd like to live in a smaller community.

Thanks for the chart Dave. Canine, visiting during the summer is the plan. We intend to spend time visiting all the places on our list.

Thanks again, everyone!

Old 07-21-2012, 11:32 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeel View Post
Well I used to live in San Angelo and it might work for you. Population 110k, humidity averages 44% although higher in the morning, several hospitals and I think the West TX Rehabilitate Center is there. I found it to be a friendly town and there are a couple of retirement centers there so despite the college and base it isn't all 20 somethings. Great community, low COL, and decent weather. Hot summers but maybe one small dusting of snow a year. It's dry but windy so if dust rather mold is an issue it would be a bad choice. Oh and despite what people tell you about the distance to Dallas, we were from San Antonio and the drive there was 2-3 hours. Plenty of big city shopping on the north side of.San Antonio

It's pretty conservative and when I lived there...Baptist...so it might be a drastic change from CA. Loved the small town manners despite the size. And the college and base made it more diverse and at least to me, seemed to have less racial issues then you might find elsewhere in a town that size.
There is still the dew point aspect to consider. 44% humidity is very high when the summer temperatures are in the 90s or higher and makes for an uncomfortable dew point.

Old 07-21-2012, 03:42 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,273,099 times
When I lived there it sure felt very dry compared to San Antonio and my allergies were ridiculously better. I have noticed in the last 5 years they seem to get more rain then San Antonio so perhaps it's different --although I thought I saw someone complaining about one of the lakes being almost dry here on CD so I assumed it was similar to 20 yrs back.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:22 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binkie99 View Post
Thanks so much for all the replies! I will check out all the towns mentioned.

hoffdano, The cost of living in CA is very high and we really need to live somewhere in retirement that is more affordable. With CA's financial problems, which the politicians refuse to face, the COL is going to keep getting higher and higher. The traffic is terrible and that's one of the reasons we'd like to live in a smaller community.

Thanks for the chart Dave. Canine, visiting during the summer is the plan. We intend to spend time visiting all the places on our list.

Thanks again, everyone!

If you don't mind the heat there's Tucson or some of the small communities around Phoenix like Carefree,Cave Creek might be hot but it's low humidity plus your close to California for visits.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:34 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
People tend to forget that property taxes are high because there is NO state income tax. The state has to get its money someplace.

As for retiring from San Diego to Texas, I would think long and hard about that. There are much better options, IMO, than anywhere in Texas. Far west Texas is very dry, but also very hot in the six months of summer there.

Idaho does not get that much snow in some places. I like Lewiston/Clarkston area for the fact that it is known as both the "Banana Belt" for its mild winters and "Idaho's Seaport" for its great waterways. Summer can be hot, but only for brief spells. Southern Idaho (Twin Falls, etc.) is very arid with fairly mild winters.

I would also look closely at places like Las Cruces, NM and Flagstaff/Sedona, AZ. As well as the more expensive Santa Fe/Taos area. Ruidoso, NM is also a retiree haven with very tolerable winters and mild summer temps, but at higher elevations than some older people may be comfortable with.

The New Mexico areas are attractive options and I don't know the OP's needs. Many retirees have to consider, how thier retirement incomes will be taxed. For many it is the make or break or where to retire. Many choose Texas because of the no income tax. New Mexico as far as I have been told, taxes everything with few deductions for many retirees. Beautiful state but not tax friendly for a retired person. Pensions even Social Security is taxed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas