Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 08:31 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,241,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
i dont care if its a different culture. its still racist

the pictures on those "negrito" ads are obviously meant to depict someone of african heritage. especially the older ad which shows that little child in blackface, which is by the way the most insulting potrayal of blacks you could ever make

there's a reason those ads wouldn't fly in america, because its downright inflammatory
You think that's bad, take a look at what actually passes for comedy over there. Would probably make even Walt Disney himself cringe. Sad, just sad.

Mexicans Bash Blacks In US Broadcast Show [Video] : Diggers Realm

Old 01-28-2010, 09:09 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,063,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Caribbean blacks and black immigrants from Africa are not a part of that African-American culture. Obviously they are black. But they don't necessarily identify with or are a part of the traditional African-American culture here in the US. Caribbean blacks are no more African-AMERICAN than I'm English just because I'm white and speak English.
Yes very true....

AL Green I never once said that Blacks of Carribean decent do not originate from Africa....The culture of the Black Carribean vs that of the Black American have a very very different history.....

Haiti for instance despite the struggle they are currently going through were the FIRST black country to gain their independence from Slavery and the White man....

Where as here in the states that disgusting oppression of slavery continued forth...for many many years...very sad.

That oppression didn't fly in the Carribean long--the blacks there had a do or die mentality out there completely different from the states. The whites QUICKLY realized that and realized those in that region where not one to play with...Believe me...

I believe that all of this African American or Latino American or Anglo american or Afro Carribean are all terms for one to find ones' idenity.

If you talk to one from the Carribeans or from a native of Africa they are quick to disown the African American title...

I believe the blacks from this country use that as a way to find an identity..Everyone needs an identity and a sense of belonging.

But for those from the Carribean it is the Carribean culture that they hold onto--not to Africa neccessarily. AND DEFINITELY not America.

Also that is also a way to cause division as well...

Regardless of where our heritage stems from whether it be Africa, Europe, Asia, Haiti, Puerto Rico, Mexico it doesn't matter...

We were ALL created with purpose from God. I think the cultures can learn so much from one another. Not one is better than the other despite if you came here by boat, plane, train or automobile

Old 01-28-2010, 10:35 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,293,052 times
I've never liked the term "African American" because it does not apply to all African Americans. For instance, my optometrist was born and raised in Johannesburg, South Africa. She now lives in America. Technically, she is an African American, even though she is a blond, blue-eyed Caucasian.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:38 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,063,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
I've never liked the term "African American" because it does not apply to all African Americans. For instance, my optometrist was born and raised in Johannesburg, South Africa. She now lives in America. Technically, she is an African American, even though she is a blond, blue-eyed Caucasian.
Yep she is a South African--beautiful people I love their accents!!

Last edited by chica_bella813; 01-28-2010 at 10:55 PM..

Old 01-28-2010, 11:22 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,272,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
There is a caucasian girl at my work from South Africa who jokes about being an African American.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:38 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,755,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
There is a caucasian girl at my work from South Africa who jokes about being an African American.
I work with a white girl from Rhodesia (Zimbabwe). He family came to Dallas after the British gave it up. She likes to be called African-American!

Old 01-29-2010, 07:46 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,850,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
Yes very true....

AL Green I never once said that Blacks of Carribean decent do not originate from Africa....The culture of the Black Carribean vs that of the Black American have a very very different history.....
then you should learn to word your posts better. because you clearly stated "not all blacks origin derives solely from africa"

Quote:
Haiti for instance despite the struggle they are currently going through were the FIRST black country to gain their independence from Slavery and the White man....

Where as here in the states that disgusting oppression of slavery continued forth...for many many years...very sad.

That oppression didn't fly in the Carribean long--the blacks there had a do or die mentality out there completely different from the states. The whites QUICKLY realized that and realized those in that region where not one to play with...Believe me...
that's because slavery in the united states was much more organized and "smarter" than down in the caribbean. not because those blacks were any "different"

Quote:
I believe that all of this African American or Latino American or Anglo american or Afro Carribean are all terms for one to find ones' idenity.

If you talk to one from the Carribeans or from a native of Africa they are quick to disown the African American title...
well if they werent born here than no they arent african american, but if they were than technically by definition they are afro-amer. people get too caught up in titles. black is black

Quote:
I believe the blacks from this country use that as a way to find an identity..Everyone needs an identity and a sense of belonging.

But for those from the Carribean it is the Carribean culture that they hold onto--not to Africa neccessarily. AND DEFINITELY not America.
american blacks dont "hold on" to africa anymore or any less than caribbean blacks do

Quote:
Also that is also a way to cause division as well...

Regardless of where our heritage stems from whether it be Africa, Europe, Asia, Haiti, Puerto Rico, Mexico it doesn't matter...

We were ALL created with purpose from God. I think the cultures can learn so much from one another. Not one is better than the other despite if you came here by boat, plane, train or automobile

Old 01-29-2010, 08:21 AM

705 posts, read 1,759,895 times
To the OP - east texas gets my vote too.

lived there for 6 years. Subbed in schools there while working on my graduate degree. Was told by the secretary who took my application for sub: 'Now, you don't want to call the children names - you know, like '*****ninny' because that child might go home and tell his parents, who will raise a big stink with the schoolboard and get everyone in trouble'.

Was in the mall in Tyler, dressing room was locked. Got an employee to unlock the door. She said 'it is a shame we have to lock the door, but you know 'those people' steal when they get a chance'. It was obvious who she was talking about.

Those are 2 specific examples, I have more.

East Texas.....it is a whole other country

Old 01-29-2010, 10:38 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,850,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88txaggie View Post
To the OP - east texas gets my vote too.

lived there for 6 years. Subbed in schools there while working on my graduate degree. Was told by the secretary who took my application for sub: 'Now, you don't want to call the children names - you know, like '*****ninny' because that child might go home and tell his parents, who will raise a big stink with the schoolboard and get everyone in trouble'.

Was in the mall in Tyler, dressing room was locked. Got an employee to unlock the door. She said 'it is a shame we have to lock the door, but you know 'those people' steal when they get a chance'. It was obvious who she was talking about.

Those are 2 specific examples, I have more.

East Texas.....it is a whole other country
the reality of the situation is that we can pick on this region all day, but racism exists everywhere in different forms. rarely nowadays is it in-your-face racism, but it's definitely there

some east texans will tell you that prejudice is alive and well in their part of the state, but you also have some east texans who can honestly say that theyve never physically witnessed racism

Old 01-29-2010, 10:58 AM

965 posts, read 1,886,664 times
Vidor and Jasper are both in East Texas. That tells you a lot about that side of the state right there. It's really naive to think that mentalities just automatically died out when Jim Crow was abolished. Lots of outspoken and closeted white nationalist types out there. I've also dealt with quite a few when I was living in the Dallas suburbs.

When my father was younger, he went to college in Louisiana and drove down to Houston with some friends of his. Their car broke down in Vidor of all places. It was almost 8 pm at night. A cop rolled by and told them they better push that car over the river (to Beaumont) before he turned around and came back if they knew what was good for them. They hauled you-know-what and got out of there. I know many black folks that refuse to stop in Vidor for ANYTHING to this day.

Quite a few Hispanics can be quite racist towards blacks as well. I tend to see it more with the more recently arrived illegal immigrants who come from countries that aren't exposed or as enlightened about black people. Some have this attitude that they do the work that us supposedly dumb, lazy blacks won't do. I know enough Spanish to get me by, and some of the things they say about blacks would make a Grand Wizard blush.

Look at the race war against black people going on out in LA. It wouldn't surprise me if something like that were to occur in Texas soon due to the overwhelming growth that Latinos have bought to the state.

Most Mexican's don't seem to be crazy about white folks either.

When I lived in Dallas, I met a few militant blacks who had some pretty awful things to say about everyone under the sun who wasn't black. I can't say that was the majority of the black population there, but they're out there.

In other words, we all suck.

Last edited by Overcooked_Oatmeal; 01-29-2010 at 11:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas