Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 02:27 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,766,661 times

Advertisements

My friend told me that Tyler was real racist!

Old 03-17-2010, 04:32 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,977,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post

I remember growing up in Tyler..it was very, and blatantly stratified by race...blacks on the north and west sides, mexicans on the east and whites in the south...all but segregated...there actually is still quite a bit of lingering racism in the area though...I have been to places that were far, far, FAR worse..but I can say with certainty that while, nowhere near perfect, Tyler has changed a great deal since I was growing up there....As it grows, some of the old racists are dying out, and the massive inundation of Hispanics to the area has diluted a lot of the overt racism that was there when I was growing up....still not where it needs to be though.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:11 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,542,767 times
I have to agree about Vidor though no one there said anything to me. Just some weird looks when i stopped at a local diner to get something to eat and a leak too. This was during the mid to late 90s. I remember seeing a billboard sign where it said that this town got away with murder or something like that. Can't recall the specifics. Maybe it is alot better now. Who knows.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:29 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,063,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Been there twice, got a bad vibe from people there. Lot of looks.

It may not be as bad as it was 50 (ore even 20) years ago, but it still has that mark....

When CNN does an entire segment on your town, somethin's wrong....

YouTube - Southeast Texas Reputation
I think the woman in the last segment who was in the diner and said she would talk to blacks but wouldn't mingle with them looked like she ate a few burgers and probably every black person that entered that diner or that lives in that city.

I look at the faces of those with such deep rooted hatred against a group of people and I think it is a poor testament to them and their race. Thank God that woman is not the spokesperson for White America. Are there still sundown towns???? Vidor and Beaumont looked to be very poor towns--are they?? Why is it those that appear to be less educated and appear to live below the poverty line continue to have that racist mentality??? The racists in that clip appeared to be unintelligent and appear to need assistance from some sort of stimulus package. I would love to hear what is muling through their brains now that their is an African American as Commander in Chief I bet they never saw that day coming...God is good

Old 03-18-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
I met a guy on the plane from Tyler Texas and he was very nice and very funny. We didn't stop talking the whole flight from Dallas to Tampa. He asked me out to dinner when we landed, I am not the same race as him and he didn't appear to be phased by it one bit. I didn't take him up on his offer. I have not been to Tyler but after seeing how friendly he was I thought about checking it out. But based on what I have read from your threads it appears that Tyler may not be the place to be. I find this very interesting.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:54 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,228,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
I think the woman in the last segment who was in the diner and said she would talk to blacks but wouldn't mingle with them looked like she ate a few burgers and probably every black person that entered that diner or that lives in that city.

I look at the faces of those with such deep rooted hatred against a group of people and I think it is a poor testament to them and their race. Thank God that woman is not the spokesperson for White America. Are there still sundown towns???? Vidor and Beaumont looked to be very poor towns--are they?? Why is it those that appear to be less educated and appear to live below the poverty line continue to have that racist mentality??? The racists in that clip appeared to be unintelligent and appear to need assistance from some sort of stimulus package. I would love to hear what is muling through their brains now that their is an African American as Commander in Chief I bet they never saw that day coming...God is good
Beaumont has a sizable black community compared to Vidor; however, it's very blue collar with the industries and ports nearby. Not enough high-paying jobs in the area. Anyways, Beaumont and Vidor are not the worse the area has to offer; Port Arthur is even worse. Houston's area sundown town is Bellaire/West University. I wouldn't recommend any black person explore those areas after dark.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:57 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,228,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
I met a guy on the plane from Tyler Texas and he was very nice and very funny. We didn't stop talking the whole flight from Dallas to Tampa. He asked me out to dinner when we landed, I am not the same race as him and he didn't appear to be phased by it one bit. I didn't take him up on his offer. I have not been to Tyler but after seeing how friendly he was I thought about checking it out. But based on what I have read from your threads it appears that Tyler may not be the place to be. I find this very interesting.
Tyler is very nice imo. I've never experienced racism when we use to go up there to spend time at the resort near Lake Palestine. We'd drive into the city and the people were very nice.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:38 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,273,096 times
Port Arthur is predominately black with sizable hispanic and asian communities. It's not a sundown town. Vidor is the antithesis of cultural diversity, but the so are the older parts of Beaumont and Port Arthur. It's less about race, and more about whether an area has a higher percentage of undereducated and underemployed. Vidor still has a very long way to go, but I can tell you that Vidor as a whole is safer than the worst parts of Beaumont and especially Pt. Arthur.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:10 PM

10 posts, read 31,288 times
I have extended family that are mixed and wonderful people, but after the earthquake those women had to band together to protect themselves from their own men. The hatred for whites by the blacks where I've lived for a decade is as intense as Texas tornado dust. They act like they want to take over the country. Girls here won't turn them in for fear of that blaming the victim or revenge. An old woman in my neighborhood after years confided to me she was taken by force by a black boy here and never leaves her house now; she was so sweet and generous too. It happens in every race but they are the majority in the east and appear to feel powerful and entitled to be abusive. It is too dangerous to wait for these, not so few, to catch up on cultural values of common decency so I am heading west and hope it is safer there. Southern men used to have the reputation of not letting things like this happen. All peoples throughout history have suffered oppression; it is no excuse. Are people so afraid of being called a racist they will tolerate rape? She is making the best of a bad situation but her life is ruined and the rest of us are nervous.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:13 AM

So what areas have the blacks threatening the whites??? I have not heard of such a thing....So the whites will not go to which town because the blacks scare them and run them out of town? Was that Port Author?? I haven't been there. That sounds like a movie--is this true? What kind of things have taken place there to scare the whites so much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas