Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2010, 01:52 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,061,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I'm primarily carnivorous, and I make no apologies for it. How did we get on food, anyway?

There is racism all over TX, but at least it is mostly covert these days. It isn't all on one side, either. I hear more disparaging remarks about Latinos than I do about Blacks, probably because of the illegal immigration issue. The way I see it, bad neighbors come in all colours. Racism is stupid. I think most people agree with me.
Well said!! I am with you on that...racism, classism is stupid.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 12,665 times
i moved to east texas almost 6 or 7 years ago. it is very racist! so i moved to a different town [Dayton,TX.] they are by far the top racist!!! im talking about KKK all that! And the police there don't help any! they're racist themselves! thank God i moved! dayton,tx is not a place to live,unless your white! Going to sleep paranoid with knives under your pillow isnt worth it. at least in other towns or cities you can ignore it. i know from experience.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:27 PM

216 posts, read 444,356 times
Racism exists everywhere, but racism and segregation isn't nearly as bad here as it is places like the deep south and even Michigan and Ohio from my experience. I know I heard some cringeworthy things out in West Texas around the Midland/Odessa area, but in Dallas/Fort Worth most folks seem to get along together.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:20 AM

13 posts, read 36,731 times
The first places that jump to my mind are the East Texas towns of Jasper and Vidor. That being said, I've never actually been there. Those places just have a certain racist stigma attached to them. My black friends go expecting racism there, but haven't encountered any that I know of.

I think by and large you wouldn't run into any problems in Texas. I'd expect very few issues -- if any -- in the major cities. Compared to many major cities like Philly and LA, Dallas and Houston are perfect color-blind cities where Dr. King's dream is realized.

As a white person walking down the "wrong street" in Philly or LA I was screamed at and hustled for my color. I'm assuming they did that to me because they encountered similar treatment in the "white" areas. In Alabama, I've heard people drop the n-word in a bar like it was no big deal. I have never encountered that in Texas. Never. People just don't say that.

To be frank, in East Texas, sometimes I get a creepy feeling. The people just look like they'd be racist. And I know that is an incredibly harsh and probably unnecessary thing to say. But that's just the vibe I get over there. And I'm white with blonde hair and blue eyes!

Old 08-29-2010, 06:26 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,938,326 times
I've noticed that about Dallas too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJohnZ View Post
but in Dallas/Fort Worth most folks seem to get along together.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I've noticed that about Dallas too!
I wonder why in Dallas/Ft.Worth area everyone seems to get along well?? Why can't the rest of Texas follow??

Old 08-30-2010, 09:28 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
I wonder why in Dallas/Ft.Worth area everyone seems to get along well?? Why can't the rest of Texas follow??
Some parts do. The Houston area is like that too.

I think it has to do with the sheer size and diversity. There are too many people in this area from different walks of life (racially, economically, etc.) for too many to waste time on that. There are morons everywhere, but I concur. Being Middle Eastern myself, I feel very welcome here in DFW.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Some parts do. The Houston area is like that too.

I think it has to do with the sheer size and diversity. There are too many people in this area from different walks of life (racially, economically, etc.) for too many to waste time on that. There are morons everywhere, but I concur. Being Middle Eastern myself, I feel very welcome here in DFW.
That's great LaNative. I met with a Middle Eastern realtor from Plano when I was out there. He was very very nice. I asked him about race relations. He said for the most part they are good for his ethnic group, but there are times when he goes into certain distinguished areas he gets the cold treatment, like his business isn't welcome there. He told me a story of how he was treated unfairly at some really nice ranch out there, can't remember the name of that ranch but he showed me and it was very nice. He stated the owner of that ranch is like in his 90's so he has that racist view towards Middle Easterners, Blacks and Latinos. He referred to the people in Texas with that mentality as "Old Tymers". He said it doesn't faze him one bit. Its not like its an everyday occurance but he said there are some that will let you know they are not comfortable with that particuliar ethnic group. So yes there are morons everywhere He also mentioned that in Plano there is a strong niche of Middle Easterners that are pretty close. I think that's lovely.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:05 PM

224 posts, read 273,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
the way i see it, bad neighbors come in all colours. Racism is stupid. I think most people agree with me.
Well put.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:57 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,256,732 times
Racism is everywhere. It's in East Texas, NYC, Boston, San Fran, Fla, oh...and don't forget Arizona!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas