Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2012, 01:12 PM

18 posts, read 21,604 times

Advertisements

The area from Magnolia over to at least Cleveland, Tx. is heavily KKK. Much of East Texas also.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:19 PM

998 posts, read 1,324,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
So Vidor is really racist?? I never heard of it.....

Yes

Old 03-18-2012, 03:07 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,229,275 times
Rural Texas and Rural America in general is not immune. The great City of New York is very segregated.
We had hoods in NYC where blacks knew they couldn't enter, back in the days. Howard Beach, Queens, Bensonhurst, Brooklyn were classic examples.

Same for whites going into black hoods.

Racism is alive and well in every corner of the USA. Sad but true.

However, on a postive note...it's getting better as the older folks die off.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:26 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,630,222 times
Ok ... I was bored (and lazy) today. I read the whole thread ... yes ... all of it (well I scanned a few posts that were boring, so poorly written I couldn't follow them, and the classic stoopid ones with one sentence of hate or dumbasity!

I see where I had posted on this about a year ago too with about the same general attitude as I am experiencing now.

I live in an East Texas county about 90 miles NE of Houston. I've lived in 4 other states (never out west): Maine, Michigan, Tenn, and Fla. I lived 20 years in the Golden Triangle: Beaumont, Port Neches, and Port Arthur but have been out of there since 1996. I do work in Beaumont as a charge nurse in an ICU so I see ALL types of folks.

My take on Race issues around here in 2012 (and some of this has been alluded to already). Blacks are not getting lynched in Vidor or tarred and feathered. 99% of the people in Vidor couldn't care less about your race as long as you conduct yourself with character. A lot of ignorant smearing of Vidor by posters that are just plain stupid haters. So even though Vidor is predominantly white, poor in many instances, and maybe a bit redneck (I use the term with the utmost respect to rednecks as I include myself in that population grouping) there will be no crimes against humanity committed against blacks there. The hating on Vidor is perpetuated by rumor, and nearly century old reputations. In other words folks are safe there and fears are perpetuated between the beholders ears.

Jasper. I live 40 miles west of that town. It has more than one traffic light (pop. 6,000 ... 40% black). The dragging of James Byrd was hyped by an agenda driven media as totally racial in nature when the death of the man was due to unpaid drug debt. Byrd had served prison time with one of the perps and thus the commerce driven relationship was started on the outside. This was a horrific crime and would have been characterized as such despite any circumstances ... he11, it would be horrific to do this to a dog so I'm saying the perps were without conscience and got what they deserve ... kinda, I feel like if the state judges your offense as a capital crime you should die by the means which you inflicted death ... but I digress. The jasper incident was a drug related motivation, not race. One week before the death of Byrd 2 blacks killed a white business owner in his place of commerce and work. Was that racially motivated? What is the difference? BTW the Caucasian was beat to death with a pipe. Race motivated hate crime? The term "Hate Crime" is stoopid ... just sayin' ... most crime has a certain amount of hate. How much breaks the barrier into "hate Crime" territory?

Oh, one other thing ... the KKK is laughing stock. I know a DPS investigative det. assigned to gang investigations (this included white supremacy and Black hate groups both along with latina gang activity). He laughs at the KKK. They are impotent and teeny tiny! Impotent like the Quanell X group. They are also infiltrated.

Latino gangs pose much more danger for all Texans.

Quit the hatin' on East Texas, Texans. My county with a black population of <15% elected a black sheriff for 8 years in the 90's until 2002. Sheriff is the most powerful office in the county! Sound racist? More judging the content of one's character than the color of one's skin I'd say! School board and city council in Jasper also very bi-racial. Whites aint puttin' the black man down here! Git a grip!

IMHO this whole thread was a fishing expedition and I resisted the nature of it for 2 years. Dam shame someone felt the need to start it ... no real good came of it and very little accurate info was dispensed (until I felt the need to hopefully put this thread to rest with some needed balance).

I hate gettin gut hooked by a troller but they finally got me! Throw me in the cooler with the other phish!

Old 03-19-2012, 10:19 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Ok ... I was bored (and lazy) today. I read the whole thread ... yes ... all of it (well I scanned a few posts that were boring, so poorly written I couldn't follow them, and the classic stoopid ones with one sentence of hate or dumbasity!

I see where I had posted on this about a year ago too with about the same general attitude as I am experiencing now.

I live in an East Texas county about 90 miles NE of Houston. I've lived in 4 other states (never out west): Maine, Michigan, Tenn, and Fla. I lived 20 years in the Golden Triangle: Beaumont, Port Neches, and Port Arthur but have been out of there since 1996. I do work in Beaumont as a charge nurse in an ICU so I see ALL types of folks.

My take on Race issues around here in 2012 (and some of this has been alluded to already). Blacks are not getting lynched in Vidor or tarred and feathered. 99% of the people in Vidor couldn't care less about your race as long as you conduct yourself with character. A lot of ignorant smearing of Vidor by posters that are just plain stupid haters. So even though Vidor is predominantly white, poor in many instances, and maybe a bit redneck (I use the term with the utmost respect to rednecks as I include myself in that population grouping) there will be no crimes against humanity committed against blacks there. The hating on Vidor is perpetuated by rumor, and nearly century old reputations. In other words folks are safe there and fears are perpetuated between the beholders ears.

Jasper. I live 40 miles west of that town. It has more than one traffic light (pop. 6,000 ... 40% black). The dragging of James Byrd was hyped by an agenda driven media as totally racial in nature when the death of the man was due to unpaid drug debt. Byrd had served prison time with one of the perps and thus the commerce driven relationship was started on the outside. This was a horrific crime and would have been characterized as such despite any circumstances ... he11, it would be horrific to do this to a dog so I'm saying the perps were without conscience and got what they deserve ... kinda, I feel like if the state judges your offense as a capital crime you should die by the means which you inflicted death ... but I digress. The jasper incident was a drug related motivation, not race. One week before the death of Byrd 2 blacks killed a white business owner in his place of commerce and work. Was that racially motivated? What is the difference? BTW the Caucasian was beat to death with a pipe. Race motivated hate crime? The term "Hate Crime" is stoopid ... just sayin' ... most crime has a certain amount of hate. How much breaks the barrier into "hate Crime" territory?

Oh, one other thing ... the KKK is laughing stock. I know a DPS investigative det. assigned to gang investigations (this included white supremacy and Black hate groups both along with latina gang activity). He laughs at the KKK. They are impotent and teeny tiny! Impotent like the Quanell X group. They are also infiltrated.

Latino gangs pose much more danger for all Texans.

Quit the hatin' on East Texas, Texans. My county with a black population of <15% elected a black sheriff for 8 years in the 90's until 2002. Sheriff is the most powerful office in the county! Sound racist? More judging the content of one's character than the color of one's skin I'd say! School board and city council in Jasper also very bi-racial. Whites aint puttin' the black man down here! Git a grip!

IMHO this whole thread was a fishing expedition and I resisted the nature of it for 2 years. Dam shame someone felt the need to start it ... no real good came of it and very little accurate info was dispensed (until I felt the need to hopefully put this thread to rest with some needed balance).

I hate gettin gut hooked by a troller but they finally got me! Throw me in the cooler with the other phish!
Meh....

Old 03-19-2012, 10:22 AM

predictable ....

Old 03-19-2012, 10:45 AM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
predictable ....
Look, no matter what you say or how much you defend it, people are going to have THEIR OWN EXPERIENCES and go from that (you do know that, right?)

You may comfortable with it, but some people actually have had issues with being in Texas period, let alone east Texas.

For instance, I'm black, I got to Prairie View A&M, and work in Waller. Sure there are people who are friendly and don't care about what your race is... but I've actually seen two guys with Nazi/White Power tats one night, and what that tells ME is that I wouldn't be welcomed on their front yards.

Saying 99% of people in Vidor couldn't care less about your race is a stretch. Really, it is. I mean where I live in Fort Worth, there are over 700,000 people... you honestly want to tell me that out of those 700,000, less than 70 of them are racists or have prejudices? Be real.

And I even have a female friend from Philly, been down here for about 5-6 years and had to go to school in Mansfield, a suburb in a major metro area like DFW. She's half black, half Latina and she was called every name in the book from BOTH races. Does it mean that the entire state is racist? No. Does it mean she'll take that as Texas being racist? Of course.

Point is, other people go through different things and you can't call them stoopid (stupid) because they themselves have gone through something like that. It's something you probably can't relate too. People have different experiences in everything and that includes race, some more than others.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:13 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,266,728 times
I think Bob's point was that a lot of rumors persist about Vidor and Jasper, that simply are not true. A lot of the posts relate events that happened before Nixon was president.

I still poke fun at Vidor since I am from the area, and the running jokes among locals are more about the gene pool rather than racial issues. One of the star football players on Vidor's football team was a black guy this past year. But to be honest, I am not white, and if absolutely forced (it would have to be life or death as I do enjoy suburban Houston), I would much rather live in Vidor than in the rough neighborhoods in Beaumont or Pt. Arthur. Heck a black person would be safer in Vidor than in the bad parts of Beaumont or Pt. Arthur. I've spent lots of time in the barrio (if you can call it that) of Beaumont and Pt. Arthur, and also the hood of East Orange. Today's Vidor does not compare in the least, and it gets national attention. Go figure.

Last edited by DanielWayne; 03-19-2012 at 12:21 PM..

Old 03-19-2012, 12:21 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
I think Bob's point was that a lot of rumors persist about Vidor and Jasper, that simply are not true. A lot of the posts relate events that happened before Nixon was president.

I still poke fun at Vidor since I am from the area, and the running jokes among locals are more about the gene pool rather than racial issues. One of the star football players on Vidor's football team was a black guy this past year. But to be honest, I am not white, and if absolutely forced (it would have to be life or death as I do enjoy suburban Houston), I would much rather live in Vidor than in the rough neighborhoods in Beaumont or Pt. Arthur. Heck a black person would be safer in Vidor than in the bad parts of Beaumont or Pt. Arthur. I've spent lots of time in the barrio (if you can call it that) of Beaumont and Pt. Arthur, and also the hood of East Orange (ask around about 2nd street). Today's Vidor does not compare in the least.
To be honest, I wouldn't want to live in either....

Old 03-19-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Look, no matter what you say or how much you defend it, people are going to have THEIR OWN EXPERIENCES and go from that (you do know that, right?)
Sure, I agree. Problem in this thread is the generalizations, misinformation, AND folks NOT acting on "THEIR OWN EXPERIENCES". He11, people are people ... everywhere. To single out East Texas or Texas/Texans is bigoted in itself and most authors of the negative comments seem to be happy to stroke with that wide brush. There are more blacks in East Texas than any other region ... wonder why that is and how those per capita numbers influence attitudes against the region? Hmmmmmm

Quote:
For instance, I'm black, I got to Prairie View A&M, and work in Waller. Sure there are people who are friendly and don't care about what your race is... but I've actually seen two guys with Nazi/White Power tats one night, and what that tells ME is that I wouldn't be welcomed on their front yards.
2 guys? Tats? Nazis? I wouldn't be welcome either. I'd prolly have to bust a cap in their pitbulls.

And I'm white and there are certain areas ALL over America where I would not be welcome ... it is a good thing that God gives us discernment , eh? Wanna name a few of those areas and their characteristics ... you can leave Texas areas out of the discussion. People are people where ever they are!

Quote:
Saying 99% of people in Vidor couldn't care less about your race is a stretch. Really, it is. I mean where I live in Fort Worth, there are over 700,000 people... you honestly want to tell me that out of those 700,000, less than 70 of them are racists or have prejudices? Be real.
You dropped a couple of zeros which screwed your argument all to he11!

Prairie View, huh? Degree? Big difference in "70" and 7,000. Hope it's not a math or engineering major.

And you don't know anything personally about Vidor and you are making judgements ... tsk tsk !!! And you're defending your uninformed bigoted attitude toward the area. ! Maybe your thoughts are influenced by math weaknesses.

Quote:
And I even have a female friend from Philly, been down here for about 5-6 years and had to go to school in Mansfield, a suburb in a major metro area like DFW. She's half black, half Latina and she was called every name in the book from BOTH races . Does it mean that the entire state is racist? No. Does it mean she'll take that as Texas being racist? Of course.
So she thinks in her experience in Texas that the blacks and latins are racist? Or bigots? Interesting. Still, though, her mental weaknesses proves little. She possibly could have influenced these folks calling her names with her attitude and they just lashed out. Who knows? I wasn't there. Bring her back ... I'll show her that some of these white East Texans have no preconceived notions.

Quote:
Point is, other people go through different things and you can't call them stoopid (stupid) because they themselves have gone through something like that. It's something you probably can't relate too. People have different experiences in everything and that includes race, some more than others.
Oh, I can call them "stoopid" ... and mean it! I can relate to racial discrimination too but I am more than an over comer! That doesn't color my attitudes.

I've been robbed at knife point by 2 blacks up North (Mi.) ... I take it for what it was ... 2 thugs being the scum of the Earth ... that event doesn't mean Michigan is a scummy place nor the Northern US nor does it change my attitude negatively toward blacks. It is what it is. Sure we have experiences and that CAN taint our thinking, the question is do we want to be in error with our thinking?

Choose your path:

Johnny Nash - I Can See Clearly Now - YouTube

peace

Texas Rox !!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas