Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 05:55 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
An easier question would be which parts of Texas AREN'T racist.

It's not in your face, saying the n-word in public, type of racism. It's more of a subtle "I don't want to be around (insert minority groups)." type of racism. An area may be statistically diverse, but people won't socialize outside their own ethnicity. and yes, I did grow up in a VERY diverse area.
So which parts of Texas has neither of those characteristics? Where are the real INTEGRATED parts of Texas? Because where I live out in the East Coast, there's plenty of the latter kind of bull**** being done by covert racist asshats who hide it behind bragging about "diversity" while driving a Prius with an "Obama 2012" sticker.

I love your state's "Be friendly yet don't take bull**** from yuppies and hoodlums" approach. But for the love of God, you all really need to get rid of (all remnants of) your racism. And no, that's not done by replacing conservative overt racism with liberal covert racism.

Or would I be better off going to Colorado and Alberta since they seem to "get it"?

Old 07-12-2012, 09:33 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,434 times
Don't know about Canada but there was a post within the last few months from a family in CO hoping San Antonio would be less racist toward perceived Hispanics. They were having trouble with their child being treated horribly at school. He was actually Italian but they were worried it would be the same in SA. I assured her in my neighborhhood my kids have friends that are Hispanic, Black (that's the word my friend prefer and yes I asked), Asian, Indian and Arabic. Of course there are people everywhere that harbor racist thoughts but I don't see anything overt in my neighborhood. Unless you count the really snobby rich Mexican Nationals who treat everyone around them like their personal servents--not all of them but unfortunately a lot of them. That's not a racial thing though as it's just that one economic group that acts that way.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:57 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
So which parts of Texas has neither of those characteristics? Where are the real INTEGRATED parts of Texas? Because where I live out in the East Coast, there's plenty of the latter kind of bull**** being done by covert racist asshats who hide it behind bragging about "diversity" while driving a Prius with an "Obama 2012" sticker.

I love your state's "Be friendly yet don't take bull**** from yuppies and hoodlums" approach. But for the love of God, you all really need to get rid of (all remnants of) your racism. And no, that's not done by replacing conservative overt racism with liberal covert racism.

Or would I be better off going to Colorado and Alberta since they seem to "get it"?
Bro, Ive read a lot of your posts and youre looking for an absolute answer one way or the other. It doesnt exist anywhere and you cant create it.

There are some parts of everywhere that are not racist and some parts of everywhere that are. There are areas of most major metro areas that are integrated and some parts of every major metro area that are not.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Bro, Ive read a lot of your posts and youre looking for an absolute answer one way or the other. It doesnt exist anywhere and you cant create it.

There are some parts of everywhere that are not racist and some parts of everywhere that are. There are areas of most major metro areas that are integrated and some parts of every major metro area that are not.
So the racist white can run to the rural South or gated suburbs. And the militant black can stick to being in or near the hood. But someone who wants an integrated place gets the run-around?

Not to offend you personally, but that's such an "American" response.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
So the racist white can run to the rural South or gated suburbs. And the militant black can stick to being in or near the hood. But someone who wants an integrated place gets the run-around?

Not to offend you personally, but that's such an "American" response.
No, I think you are misudnerstanding my point.

There is no metro area that is one thing. You have segregated parts and integrated parts of almost all metro areas. You want to know where the integrated areas of Texas are? They are spotty and mostly exist in the inner ring burbs and suburban neighborhoods outside Dallas and Houston. The urban neighborhoods are almost always segregated in the residentail areas.

I personally live in an area of Plano (a suburb of Dallas) that is extremely integrated. I have people from Korea, China, Vietnam, India, Ethiopia, African-Americans, and Hispanics in my neighborhood. However, a couple of miles to our Southwest is West Plano and its almost entirely white. Then a few miles to my Southeast is Southeast Plano which is almost all Hispanic. A few miles east, you also get a neighborhood thats almost all Asian.

The example is my point. There is not one city, one metro area, etc. that is completely integrated or completely segregated. There are parts of almost every city/metro area that are both.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
No, I think you are misudnerstanding my point.

There is no metro area that is one thing. You have segregated parts and integrated parts of almost all metro areas. You want to know where the integrated areas of Texas are? They are spotty and mostly exist in the inner ring burbs and suburban neighborhoods outside Dallas and Houston. The urban neighborhoods are almost always segregated in the residentail areas.

I personally live in an area of Plano (a suburb of Dallas) that is extremely integrated. I have people from Korea, China, Vietnam, India, Ethiopia, African-Americans, and Hispanics in my neighborhood. However, a couple of miles to our Southwest is West Plano and its almost entirely white. Then a few miles to my Southeast is Southeast Plano which is almost all Hispanic. A few miles east, you also get a neighborhood thats almost all Asian.

The example is my point. There is not one city, one metro area, etc. that is completely integrated or completely segregated. There are parts of almost every city/metro area that are both.
I stand corrected on my original accusation. With that being said, the urbanity of integrated vs segregated neighborhoods doesn't help my cause. Being in my mid-twenties, many people in my age range tend to live in the urban (and thus, segregated) neighborhoods, while the more racially integrated (and hence more open-minded) towns tend to cater to only families and kids. I'm assuming that's the same case for all major Texas cities. I doubt racially integrated burbs like Plano and Sugar Land have many twenty somethings. And as far as racially segregated urban neighborhoods with racist twenty-somethings, and racially integrated suburbs that only has families and children, I have more than enough of that in the craphole metropolitan area I'm currently in.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
I stand corrected on my original accusation. With that being said, the urbanity of integrated vs segregated neighborhoods doesn't help my cause. Being in my mid-twenties, many people in my age range tend to live in the urban (and thus, segregated) neighborhoods, while the more racially integrated (and hence more open-minded) towns tend to cater to only families and kids. I'm assuming that's the same case for all major Texas cities. I doubt racially integrated burbs like Plano and Sugar Land have many twenty somethings. And as far as racially segregated urban neighborhoods with racist twenty-somethings, and racially integrated suburbs that only has families and children, I have more than enough of that in the craphole metropolitan area I'm currently in.
In almost every single case, people go live in places where they have commonality with their neighbors.

Even your racially/ethnically integrated suburbs are segregated by something else: income. Take any ethnically integrated suburban neighborhood like Plano, Sugar Land or Annandale. Most people in areas of these cities have a household income of between 100k and 300k. When you bring the microscope down further and focus on a specific subdivision, most houses cost around the same amount meaning most people there are going to make around the same amount. That means people in those places dont have to really pay much attention to what kind of people live around them because they will still be upper-middle class. Even a racially conscious white person would readily admit that they would rather live by an upper middle class family thats black/Asian/Hispanic vs. white trash.

Therefore the commonality in the suburbs is not race, culture, religion, or ethnicity, its money and income. People are just fine with it because they are still with those who are like them on some level.

Now then, bring that same microscope to an urban area. There is very little income commonality because income differences are much, much greater in the city. There are a lot more rich and a lot more poor. So people living there seek other forms of commonality. In lots of cases, that means cultural commonality. The easiest example is Chicago. I was there a couple of weeks ago and the ethnic and racial segregation is staggering. My wife and I were the only mixed couple I even saw during my visit. I actually brought it up to a friend of mine who lives there and her response was "Why am I going to go live with people I have nothing in common with?". To me, that underscores the mentality. People are trying to live with those they have stuff in common with.

Given all this, does that mean people in urban areas are racist? I dont think we can make that conclusion. People simply want to be around people they have something in common with. In the burbs, the income level commonality suffices. In the urban area, there is little income commonality so people gravitate to those with cultural commonality. I use the word cultural because I dont think its about race, but rather culture.

As for young people in the burbs, you would actually be surprised about the age demographic in Plano and Sugar Land. While places like Sugar Land and Plano cater primarily to families, there are still a pretty good amount of 20-somethings there. In Plano, there is an area called the Shops at Legacy. While its no Sunset Strip or even Uptown Dallas, there are a good amount of nightclubs and and places to eat that a lot of the younger crowd frequents. Hell, Im only 29 myself.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:11 PM

71 posts, read 224,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
I am just curious...I am moving to Dallas and I love it there. Race relations look decent. I have heard there are parts of Texas that are still segegrated and have that good ole boy 1920's mentality. What areas are those?? Can't believe in 2010 life in some places still think that way.

I know everyone is pretty much armed in Texas but a loaded gun, and moonshine and a racist is a bad combo....Just wanted to know what areas to avoid and what is not safe in regards to race relations.

Thanks
Dallas is a racist city for blacks (any colored skin) depending on what area you are at. South Texas may not be very Racist. Austin the same (not so racist). I have also met a lot of guys from the hill country, and they happen to be the nicest people I have ever met. corpus christi seemed to be nice too.

Last edited by coffeelover1; 07-16-2012 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: additional info

Old 07-16-2012, 06:00 PM

933 posts, read 1,533,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeelover1 View Post
Dallas is a racist city for blacks (any colored skin) depending on what area you are at. South Texas may not be very Racist. Austin the same (not so racist). I have also met a lot of guys from the hill country, and they happen to be the nicest people I have ever met. corpus christi seemed to be nice too.
Maybe not openly racist, but I bet you that many of the northern suburbanites wouldn't be too happy if an African American family moved next door.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
Maybe not openly racist, but I bet you that many of the northern suburbanites wouldn't be too happy if an African American family moved next door.
Let's break this down...

You're saying making sweeping generalizations about a group of people is bad (racism), yet you go on to do it yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas