Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 09:01 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,856,150 times

Advertisements

A black friend of mine told me Eastland was the worst place he had experienced. It was back in high school in the 80's though. (Midway between Abilene and Dallas).

Old 02-10-2010, 10:06 AM

50 posts, read 243,134 times
Quote:
Definitely stay away from Vidor, I heard they had some KKK march down there.
Maybe back in the 1960s.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:52 PM

33 posts, read 134,228 times
Apparently Farmers Branch best be able to speak English or you wont be getting a place to live there!

Old 02-10-2010, 08:01 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsonny View Post
Apparently Farmers Branch best be able to speak English or you wont be getting a place to live there!
I highly doubt thats actually being enforced since 40% of the city is hispanic.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:50 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,061,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsonny View Post
I don't think that is the case anymore. I got lost there trying to get back to Irving and it just seemed like a very small town, didn't see any signs of blatant racism with my guests. Do you have any instances that you have seen relating to Farmers Branch??

Old 02-10-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I highly doubt thats actually being enforced since 40% of the city is hispanic.
Yes I second that.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:54 AM

33 posts, read 134,228 times
I am actually taken back by this question and all that i can do or say is wow!I mean im an american hispanic/latino/mexican hey didn't ask for it just got blessed!Anyways i feel somewhat disagree able on several responses to this thread and everyone has and is entitled to there opinion.Come on people this is Texas and were a better people than some of these responses!I mean people are people everywhere different races and mixes especially in my family and you know what thats life and i wouldn't ever change the way somethings are.I'm a well traveled person i live in the metro plex Keller to be exact.Have lived on the gulf coast my entire life i work in the Golden Triangle area wich includes Port Arthur,Beaumont,Orange and surrounding communities such as Vidor,Lumberton,Bridge City.It's not like the kkk is holding daily meetings here in the area.People have mixed feelings about everyone everywhere in this country its how it is.When The hurricanes hit this area i can guarantee you we all come together as one as a commutnity as a people.When Ike hit Bridge City everyone helped everyone.People need to get reaquainted with society.I remember a very short time ago some of the best high school football teams here did'nt even have African Americans on the field in Vidor,Port Neches Groves maybe one or two not anymore.Towns are getting a bad rap as well as other cities in East Texas in this area and we've has come along way.I love this area and will say racism i havent experienced it or maybe im just numb to it or rise above it and hopefully others will do likewise.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:57 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,934,465 times
Are you Black, Hispanic, or Muslim? For a city of over 700,000 there is a lot of self-segregation and a pretty obvious social hierarchy in Austin,Texas.

Racist doesn't always mean Jasper,Texas where a black man was lynched and then dragged to death by white trash. It is mostly covert in most places in Texas and the south.

The white trash culture in Austin is heavily sugar coated with limousine liberalism and PC lip service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
LOL out loud at Austin being a racist city. I almost spit up my drink.

And I really don't like defending Vidor, but I am from that area so I know what goes and what does not go. Bridge City is a better place to live than Vidor, and until Ike it was one of the more desirable places to live in Orange County. Vidor was not a no-go place for blacks in the 80's and 90s because I am a minority and I hung around black people in the 80s (high school), and we stopped in Vidor on the way to Beaumont all the time. Now as far as subtle racism in Vidor - I don't dispute that one bit. I can provide examples of that myself. It ain't a mecca for diversity and tolerance. But people will not spit in your food or force you to use a different water fountain if you are black. Those days are looooong over. I may stop in Vidor for a burger tomorrow on the way to visit my parents. They have no problems with Mexicans. Now there are other stereotypes about Vidor that are true, but no need to drag that up here.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:54 PM

Just watched the movie "American Violet". Very good film about the made up town called Melody Texas and the blatant racism that takes place in that tiny town in Texas. This incident actually took place in Hearne Texas and that DA of that town is actually John Paschall and is still in office. I can't believe that this hatred continues on...... I can't believe that Texans would re-elect that man....Where is exactly is Hearne Texas??? I wonder if that corrupt racism still takes place there??

Old 03-14-2010, 10:57 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,973,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
Just watched the movie "American Violet". Very good film about the made up town called Melody Texas and the blatant racism that takes place in that tiny town in Texas. This incident actually took place in Hearne Texas and that DA of that town is actually John Paschall and is still in office. I can't believe that this hatred continues on...... I can't believe that Texans would re-elect that man....Where is exactly is Hearne Texas??? I wonder if that corrupt racism still takes place there??
Hearne is in Western East Texas or Eastern Central Texas depending on who you ask. somewhere between college station and Waco, I believe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas