Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2010, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 6,526 times

Advertisements

My husband was run out of a convenience store in East Texas - they said they didn't sell to "Nxxxxs". This was 3 years ago. Probably about the same. Sorry I don't remember the town (for sure) but I think it was Vidor.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:22 PM

423 posts, read 824,142 times
Border towns in South Texas are racist as hell. If you're white good luck getting any kind of service over there.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:53 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,292,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
not to take anything away from your story jread, but i think the problem with vidor is people are basing their opinions off of rumors and hearsay, rather than informing themselves

the reality is, vidor texas has not been considered a sundown town since the 1950s, numerous other races besides whites live there today, and lastly, there is no documentation of any violent hate crime towards blacks or any other race to be found in the town's recent history

vidor is not a town filled with rotten mouth rednecks ready to kill the first black person on site. it's just a town filled with slow old "christian" folk who are honest about their dislike for minorities. there is no logical reason for any person of color to fear for their safety. because a simple look at this nation's history will show you that are just as likely to be the victim of a hate crime anywhere

and someone mentioned jasper earlier. you should know that i have been to that town, and met nothing but the kindest most friendliest white people you could ever meet. oh and by the way, the population is over 40% black

we need to stop using isolated incidents to prejudge an entire community and simply assume that is something they condone
I actually don't disagree with what you have said. I will say that there is a fair amount of residual racism in Vidor from back in the day, but mainly from middle-aged and older residents. The younger generation in Vidor is a lot more accepting.

And you are EXACTLY right about Jasper. I would say that race relations in Jasper are, and always have been, way better than anywhere in that region of Texas. Blacks and whites have always coexisted peacefully there and most people are friendly, hardworking country folks (black and white). As shocked as the nation was about what happened in Jasper, I can assure you that nobody was more shocked and appalled than the people who live in Jasper. A family friend from there said that they are sick and tired of being associated with such a horrible crime, and that they wish everyone else would visit Jasper to see what it's really like there. It's a scar in the town's past that will never fully heal.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:10 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,063,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
My dad was on I-10 through Vidor one night and saw a car pulled over on the shoulder. He pulled over to help and saw that it was a black man and his family. He said the man was frantically trying to put on his spare tire as one of his tires had gone flat. The guy was startled when my dad walked up and was expecting the worst, then overcome with relief when my dad asked him if he could help. He started helping put the spare tire on the car and he said the man was shaking the whole time and saying, "I've gotta get out of here. I've gotta get out of here. If anyone pulls over please keep them from coming after me." My dad just kept reassuring him that everything would be fine, and to just calm down. When they had the tire put on and everything put away, the man tried to offer my dad money for helping him, which my dad of course refused.

I'm so glad that my parents brought me up to believe that racism was wrong and something that only ignorant people did. My dad had black friends over for dinner all the time, and had a Vietnamese friend who would always do paintings for us. One time my dad was with one of his friends and went to see another guy they knew. When he was at the guy's house, the guy asked him if he was interested in joining the KKK. My dad politely said "No", went out to his truck, and went home.

Racism definitely exists everywhere, though it is a lot worse in some places than others. I've even been a victim of it a few times when I drove down the wrong street in Orange or Beaumont. I had things thrown at my car, my life threatened, you name it. There are enough problems in this world without having to hate someone just because of their race, ethnicity, religion or nationality.
Wow...that's so sad the man was in such terror. No one should have to live that way..

That is awesome that your father helped out that man. You came from good stock...that's great that he instilled that same ideology of helping others out despite race. We could all learn from that.

Last edited by chica_bella813; 01-31-2010 at 02:23 PM..

Old 01-31-2010, 02:18 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,063,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
but i think the problem with vidor is people are basing their opinions off of rumors and hearsay, rather than informing themselves

we need to stop using isolated incidents to prejudge an entire community and simply assume that is something they condone
I do agree with this statement. But it is difficult to remove some of those sterotypes from the surface of our minds especially if it was a horrific incident.

I hope we are all striving to eliminate the prejudgement of others from various communities as humans...But as we journey to that endeavor it is great to know that we have forums like these to have open dialouge and learn from each other.

The only thing that will improve and change race relations is once we first take a look at all that was engrained into us growing up regarding a certain part of town, certain race, etc... and when an opportunity permits in life to actually bring down those walls and learn from that individual from that particuliar community. We can all learn from each other.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:00 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,326,665 times
the difference between me and others, and why I don't notice what others notice, is because I define the world, wherever I may be, not by how others treat me, but by how I treat others...

It's amazing how many roads you can smoothen out with that approach...

Old 01-31-2010, 04:15 PM

22 posts, read 58,656 times
Default Bienvenidos? No!

By far the most blatant and proudly racist part of Texas is in deep south Texas' lower Rio Grande Valley. It's about 85 percent Hispanic and virtually all of them have an admitted and aversion to "bolillos" (Caucasians/Anglos).

They justify their aggressive, taunting, openly, buzz-saw, belligerent attitude by claiming that bolillos exploited them and now they (Hispanics) are re-claiming it. Maybe they are right.

Justified or not, it was somewhat disheartening to see some bumper stickers reading "Gringo, vete a tu casa!" (Gringo go home), which we promptly did.

(And we're Democrats)

Old 01-31-2010, 05:48 PM

507 posts, read 1,660,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Yeah it came out. They played the trailer in movie theaters too. (at least in Texas). However, the promotion sucked for it.
The movie is on Watch Instantly on Netflix.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:52 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,240,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poinciana View Post
By far the most blatant and proudly racist part of Texas is in deep south Texas' lower Rio Grande Valley. It's about 85 percent Hispanic and virtually all of them have an admitted and aversion to "bolillos" (Caucasians/Anglos).

They justify their aggressive, taunting, openly, buzz-saw, belligerent attitude by claiming that bolillos exploited them and now they (Hispanics) are re-claiming it. Maybe they are right.

Justified or not, it was somewhat disheartening to see some bumper stickers reading "Gringo, vete a tu casa!" (Gringo go home), which we promptly did.

(And we're Democrats)
Yikes. You think being a bolillo is bad down there, try being a mayate. They'd give the Klan a run for their money.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:03 PM

122 posts, read 307,496 times
Present day Texas still has its mildly veiled racist undertones. And its not only East Texas - its anywhere you go.

My parents experienced a much worse Texas back in 1955 El Paso. There were "NO MEXICANS OR DOGS" signs everywhere they went. They were asked to leave certain cafes and other establishments. Mom and dad were respectful and classy compared to the trashy slimeballs they encountered.

What arrogance those poor excuses for human beings displayed until they were forced to accept everyone into their establishments! I would've loved to have taken a Time Machine and gone back with a bazooka.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas