Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2010, 03:25 PM

32 posts, read 65,396 times

Advertisements

Racism is Everywhere in the world and includes all races being racist in all places, it is not limited to any region or state. I have seen it in every country and state South and Northeast, from Anti-Americanism to anti-white, anti-black, ant-Asian, anti-Arab, anti Latin American, and the list goes on.

I happen to be of mixed race which isn't really relevant, but I saw tons of racism in Massachusetts!!!!!!!! Not just that but also regionalism. People with Boston accents making fun of Southern accents (because their accent sounds so much smarter ;-)) Accent is not a reflection of intelligence, it is of region.

Now Texas is like anywhere else in the world, it is more obvious in smaller less educated communities and neighborhoods.

Texas is multi-cultural with a Hispanic (still don't get that term) majority, and all sorts of other types of people including the largest Pakistani population outside of Pakistan.

Racism is often ignorance, but sometimes which I find disgusting, for some it is a choice. And is displayed by all races against each other.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:33 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfucious View Post
Racism is Everywhere in the world and includes all races being racist in all places, it is not limited to any region or state. I have seen it in every country and state South and Northeast, from Anti-Americanism to anti-white, anti-black, ant-Asian, anti-Arab, anti Latin American, and the list goes on.

I happen to be of mixed race which isn't really relevant, but I saw tons of racism in Massachusetts!!!!!!!! Not just that but also regionalism. People with Boston accents making fun of Southern accents (because their accent sounds so much smarter ;-)) Accent is not a reflection of intelligence, it is of region.

Now Texas is like anywhere else in the world, it is more obvious in smaller less educated communities and neighborhoods.

Texas is multi-cultural with a Hispanic (still don't get that term) majority, and all sorts of other types of people including the largest Pakistani population outside of Pakistan.

Racism is often ignorance, but sometimes which I find disgusting, for some it is a choice. And is displayed by all races against each other.
Couldnt have said it better myself! Nicely put!

Old 02-05-2010, 08:44 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,650 times
Vidor was a no go area for blacks throughout the 1980's and most of the 1990's. Every major town/city in SE Texas was segregated along racial lines. In Beaumont all the blacks were east of the highway. Other towns basically kept blacks out. Nederland and Port Neches were all white, while towns a few miles down the road like Port Arthur were mostly black.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:15 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,292,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Vidor was a no go area for blacks throughout the 1980's and most of the 1990's. Every major town/city in SE Texas was segregated along racial lines. In Beaumont all the blacks were east of the highway. Other towns basically kept blacks out. Nederland and Port Neches were all white, while towns a few miles down the road like Port Arthur were mostly black.
Don't forget Bridge City. It's actually worse than Vidor ever was, it just never made the news.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:17 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Austin,Texas. It's a racist dump with a liberal marketing agenda. Go figure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
I am just curious...I am moving to Dallas and I love it there. Race relations look decent. I have heard there are parts of Texas that are still segegrated and have that good ole boy 1920's mentality. What areas are those?? Can't believe in 2010 life in some places still think that way.

I know everyone is pretty much armed in Texas but a loaded gun, and moonshine and a racist is a bad combo....Just wanted to know what areas to avoid and what is not safe in regards to race relations.

Thanks

Old 02-06-2010, 07:41 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
This little hatred act on Austin is getting annoying. Austin is not a racist dump.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:34 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,292,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Please go troll somewhere else.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:32 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,062,627 times
I wonder why people said that about Austin?? It's on my list for one of the places to see in Texas.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:26 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
LOL out loud at Austin being a racist city. I almost spit up my drink.

And I really don't like defending Vidor, but I am from that area so I know what goes and what does not go. Bridge City is a better place to live than Vidor, and until Ike it was one of the more desirable places to live in Orange County. Vidor was not a no-go place for blacks in the 80's and 90s because I am a minority and I hung around black people in the 80s (high school), and we stopped in Vidor on the way to Beaumont all the time. Now as far as subtle racism in Vidor - I don't dispute that one bit. I can provide examples of that myself. It ain't a mecca for diversity and tolerance. But people will not spit in your food or force you to use a different water fountain if you are black. Those days are looooong over. I may stop in Vidor for a burger tomorrow on the way to visit my parents. They have no problems with Mexicans. Now there are other stereotypes about Vidor that are true, but no need to drag that up here.

Last edited by DanielWayne; 02-09-2010 at 07:36 PM..

Old 02-09-2010, 11:18 PM

52 posts, read 140,785 times
Austin racist? Yeah right.

Its better than a lot of other cities that I have been to, and there is racism in other cities in the North. Texas has some of the kindest people that I had ever met.

Definitely stay away from Vidor, I heard they had some KKK march down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas