Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 11:27 PM

3,326 posts, read 3,178,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Nature plays a big part - ie: the climate, landscape and soil etc..

Religion also factors in a great deal.

but anyway, how can anyone claim it to be appropriate for a young boy to wear a dress to school?
In secular humanistic western society there has long been a theory that gender differences are a product not of nature but of culture. There has been a great effort to erase these differences of behavior. Part of this effort has been to encourage whats normally thought of as "masculine" behavior in girls while encouraging whats thought of as "feminine" behavior in boys. I'm not really surprised by this.

These folks like to present this as tolerance and freedom but the reality is really quite different. They are not very tolerant of people who possess cultural values other than their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
It's appropriate for a young boy to wear a dress to school.

Just like that.
Most cultures possess gender specific clothing. That doesn't mean your culture has to but I feel you shouldn't insist my culture should adopt your cultural values.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:30 PM

30,438 posts, read 52,106,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
These folks like to present this as tolerance and freedom but the reality is really quite different. They are not very tolerant of people who possess cultural values other than their own.
You keep saying this, but I have yet to see any examples from you... how is saying "he can dress as he pleases" being intolerant of your beliefs? Nobody is forcing YOU to allow your son to wear a dress, are they?? If your son was suddenly being ostracized for wearing pants, then you might have a point - but I'm pretty sure that isn't a common occurrence in the US. Actually quite the opposite, so "your side" is the one acting forceful here.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Because the default is that everything is appropriate unless their is reason it is inappropriate. No one has provided a reason that it is inappropriate.
I have. It's a violation of cultural norms for many of us.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Most cultures possess gender specific clothing. That doesn't mean your culture has to but I feel you shouldn't insist my culture should adopt your cultural values.
Once again I ask, who is forcing you to adopt these values? For goodness sakes, I just don't get it!!

Old 08-09-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
So don't do it.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:34 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,363,477 times
Quote:
Exactly.
I feel you shouldn't insist another culture should adopt your cultural values.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:36 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,363,477 times
Quote:
Quote:
I feel you shouldn't insist my culture should adopt your cultural values.
1 + 1 = 3 to you?

Old 08-09-2012, 11:39 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,140,487 times
My sister is a school teacher and asked my opinion on a girl at the school who is having gender confusions and getting the hair cut right back, including wearing very pronounced male style clothing.

I asked a few questions about what is known in the home for this girl...( I got the idea she was 12-13

As expected the mother is not normal and the father has left the scene. The mother is into guys and wants desperately to be a big hit with the men. Dolling herself up all the time and going out for the attracting.

So here we have a young girl who is troubled with the lack of solid direction within the home. The mothers direction is showing an incompleteness and need for influence. The girl then notice's this absence and would be inclined in care of the household to be more on the affirmative, many young kids wind up taking on more adult alpha type roles in the home due to non existing theme....so I told her what this girl needs is an adult role model to gab with like an expert, so that she can be who she wants to, without feeling pressure to "fill a gap" The girl also has issues getting along with others which is understandable in the whole scheme of things.

So in answering this thread idea I think every situation is different but will say the youth are very affected by stability in the home and then look at society to try and find out how all of it can make sense. The homosexual voice is interfering with the identity crisis in the often found broken family unit. I think thats a given. I told my sister the worst thing the school could do is upset her, to not see the dress idea and give her as much respect, welcome and acceptance as possible...plus keep the eyes peeled and use whatever pro guidance the school has to offer.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
When did I ever call you intolerant? I've been very civil to you, and completely respect your opinions and values... I've only said that not everyone agrees, and asked if you're able to accept that. You didn't actually answer my question, so I have no idea if you're tolerant or not.

P.S. I'm not a cross-dresser, nor do I have a child, and therefore this is not my issue to defend. I've never advocated sending a boy to school in a dress, it's just none of my business if they do.

What on earth does that have to do with me, or with allowing people to dress as they please? I think you've been smoking some California herb, LOL.

Every sub-culture has its wackos, but that really doesn't mean anything to the general population. Should I pull out similar stories from conservatives or the Ozarks? Matter of fact, I was just thinking of my mother's recently departed friend, who was originally from the Ozarks (WV)... he was basically forced out of his hometown, and permanently disowned by his parents, just for being openly gay. Should I assume that represents all people from your neck of the woods?
West virginia is a part of the appalachian mountains not the ozarks. However, it doesn't really matter as we are of the same culture. In regards to your mother's friend I too understand how he felt. I, once, lived in california. It was quite clear to me I didn't belong there. I came home. Peoples of common cultural traits tend to band together.

Here in another example of your people encouraging compliance with it's cultural norms. Perhaps you remember this. Does this represent all people from your neck of the woods?

Anti proposition 8 protesters harass little old lady. - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies