Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 02:37 AM

30,429 posts, read 52,064,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
if a young boy gets sent to school wearing a skirt the all then other students and teachers have to put up with it - this is not right.

it's distracting to everyone else and sends out a confused gender message - so not appropriate.

teachers should also not cross-dress.
Thank you for sharing your opinion... always appreciated, even when it's not based on facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 05:29 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,271,041 times
Men are such wimps!
97 degrees out and they're still intimidated into believing they have to wear long pants. long sleeved shirts, long sleeved jackets and the worst thing of all....a tie!...as acceptable business dress.
Women insisted on wearing dresses, pants, whatever the hell they want but men aint got the b**** to insist on the same.
Suffer on,guys!Show us how you rue the world!

Old 08-10-2012, 07:02 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,655,769 times
Cross dressing has it's place and I don't think school is one of them.
Let the kid cross dress at home and on the weekends, not during school hours and not at school.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:31 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,176,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Well, at least you're honest about it! But believing you are right doesn't necessarily make it so... I don't think either of our views are right or wrong, they are simply different. I'm not afraid of differences, in fact they make the world more interesting IMO.
Why wouldn't I be honest? There's nothing wrong with being a conservative who believes in the traditional culture and values of his/her ancestors.

Quote:
I do actually consider myself more culturally than religiously Jewish, and usually refer to myself as an "Agnostic Jew." In the mind of most Orthodox Jews that means I'm secular, but it really means I submit to not knowing everything. I think organized religion can be very dangerous in the hands of some people, while also very positive in other hands.
That's pretty much how I feel about christianity. It's been a part of my culture. I view christianity as a social construct. Church in appalachian and ozarks communities served as a part of a social support network for generations. It was far more effective than government checks in the mail are today at sustaining meaningful lives as it encouraged values that included self sufficiency and mutual support for individuals and families within communities. I believe faith sustained the various jewish communities throughout europe as well for hundreds of years of pograms in much the same way.

Quote:
It does concern me, and that's one of the reasons I don't identify as a Democrat.

However, the Republicans aren't much better, in terms of their treatment of non-Christians/Jews (and a few other groups) - so that's why I've chosen to follow a more independent political path. But enough about us, since this thread is really not about religion OR politics. It's about a boy with gender identity issues, and how his family & school have chosen to address them. And I think they should be free to make these decisions themselves, without having to worry about what other people believe. That's just my opinion, though.
It's a conundrum faced by many of your kinsmen in 20th century europe. Unfortunately it seems to have surfaced in 21st century american liberalism as well. A bad development by my way of thinking. This is an article concerning the history of anti semitism and liberalism in europe. It's from a center-right magazine in britain. It's alright to read it tho. It slams conservatism a few time too so your hair shouldn't burst into flames should you decide to read it.

Last edited by Dutchman01; 08-10-2012 at 09:40 AM..

Old 08-10-2012, 09:33 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,701,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
It's unbelievable that we're even considering this as an option for children.

Why can't parents raise their children as they are supposed to be raised. Why are children given so much freedom to dictate to their parents how they will dress?

If my son wanted to dress up like superman and go to school there's no way that would happen, but a dress? Give me a break.

What’s So Bad About a Boy Who Wants to Wear a Dress?

At 4 years old, there's no way I'd allow my son to make those decisions on his own.

There's an image of a boy in a green dress that goes with the article linked. That kid is probably older than 7 years old, I can't believe the world of hurt his parents are setting him up for. Why don't adults just put their foot down and impart discipline and be a parent.
Maybe the boy is having his period, and is expecting a heavy flow day?

Old 08-10-2012, 09:44 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,213,450 times
Traditional culture??? So you agree with the parents permitting the boy to wear a dress??? It was tradition for young boys to wear dresses and wear long hair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
Why wouldn't I be honest? There's nothing wrong with being a conservative who believes in the traditional culture and values of his/her ancestors.

That's pretty much how I feel about christianity. It's been a part of my culture. I view christianity as a social construct. Church in appalachian and ozarks communities served as a part of a social support network for generations. It was far more effective than government checks in the mail are today at sustaining meaningful lives as it encouraged values that included self sufficiency and mutual support for individuals and families within communities.

It's a conundrum faced by many of your kinsmen in 20th century europe. Unfortunately it seems to have surfaced in 21st century american liberalism as well. A bad development in my way of thinking. This is an article concerning the history of anti semitism and liberalism in europe. It's from a center-right magazine in britain. It's alright to read it tho. It slams conservatism a few time too so your hair shouldn't burst into flames should you decide to read it.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:46 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,271,041 times
Ooooops....that was supposed to be 'rule the world'

Some did a fair job of it:

The ancient Egyptians wore dresses and skirts. Going further back, so did the ancient Sumerians. Alexander the Great conquered the whole world while wearing a skirt. The Greeks wore togas, and the Chinese wore dresses (yes, men too).
Men In Skirts

Old 08-10-2012, 09:55 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,655,769 times
How well is cross dressing acceptable in the workplace these days ?
Not very.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:29 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,465,701 times
This thread reminds me about the arguments over "long hair" on guys back in the 1950's.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:17 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,138,812 times
Hmmm...Ive got a huge problem in this dressing idea, maybe I should make a thread...I bought a red color shirt and knew when I bought it, the deep red was just a touch off, but I fancied the style. So I bought a bottle of bleach thinking to ajust the color a touch being a little fussy. Problem is I forgot about the soaking and the new shirt is more of a distinct pink hue.

Now, I'm a bachelor and most of the young little babes out there just love it when I squeeze out a possible notice or glance of distraction, now if the shirt is pink the little blooming flowers might think hey, maybe this guy is gay and its not, such a great day....so I refuse to wear that shirt and if I toss it out, it will go out in a colored non-clear bag so that there is no mistake. I think being aware of peoples day and realizing we all have an effect in the waltzing around is import.I'm concerned about these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies