Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 09:49 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,173,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You mean the Dutch culture? I don't care what you do personally, but on the same note, you shouldn't care how other people dress either... to each his/her own, I say.

P.S. "Social norms" change with almost every generation, as has been the case since forever.
If you people want to dress your boys as girls, fine, have at it. Just leave my folks out of it thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Clearly, no one should go to school or they will turn into a serial killer
So, I'm guessing you completely missed his point.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:52 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,037,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
So, I'm guessing you completely missed his point.
Yep - that poster didn't read the article otherwise they would have known that Lucas dropped out of school - partly because he was humiliated by having to wear the dress.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:03 PM

30,383 posts, read 51,996,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
So I guess a nice demure Ann Klein pleat that fell just above the knee would be acceptable?
A little something like this, perhaps? http://slimages.macys.com/is/image/M...erlrg$&wid=370

I think that could look nice on the right man, if he had a nice set of legs.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
If you people want to dress your boys as girls, fine, have at it. Just leave my folks out of it thank you.
What's with the "my people your people" stuff? I still don't get how we're that much different, except maybe the fact that I'm Jewish - but if you're speaking for all the White European mutts of this country, I think you might want to check with us/them before making such a firm statement. Did we elect you our spokesperson recently?

And again I ask, doesn't your profile say you're part Scots-Irish? I've seen my share of Irish & Scottish-Americans wearing kilts, so my examples DO represent your culture.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:14 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,324,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Yep - that poster didn't read the article otherwise they would have known that Lucas dropped out of school - partly because he was humiliated by having to wear the dress.
Yeah, ok fine.

It was the dress

Watching his mom ***** herself out, having his father kill himself, being beaten, and not fed he could have handled, but wearing a dress to school was too much.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:15 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,440,256 times
The new America, thanks boomers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
It's unbelievable that we're even considering this as an option for children.

Why can't parents raise their children as they are supposed to be raised. Why are children given so much freedom to dictate to their parents how they will dress?

If my son wanted to dress up like superman and go to school there's no way that would happen, but a dress? Give me a break.

What’s So Bad About a Boy Who Wants to Wear a Dress?

At 4 years old, there's no way I'd allow my son to make those decisions on his own.

There's an image of a boy in a green dress that goes with the article linked. That kid is probably older than 7 years old, I can't believe the world of hurt his parents are setting him up for. Why don't adults just put their foot down and impart discipline and be a parent.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'll remember to thank my parents later, for freeing us from the pre-1960 puritanical repression. Thanks, mom & dad!!

Old 08-09-2012, 10:17 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,675,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Obama did it.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
According to your profile, part of your heritage is Scots/Irish - isn't the man in the kilt Irish (or Scottish)? Also, we might share more than you think... like our profession, for one thing.

Regardless, the point is that "societal norms" can change from place to place, and from generation to generation. Even within the same country, culture & generation these concepts are subjective, so NOBODY here can unequivocally say "This or that is not normal." Well, you can say whatever you want, but not everyone will necessarily agree.
In all fairness tho while the kilt was worn in parts of europe by men and boys the women wore different clothing. That is not what you people are advocating. You are advocating dressing little boys like little girls. That is not a cultural norm of mine, my people, nor my ancestors.

source
Quote:
Male Scottish dress includes a kilt or ‘trews’, sporrans and gillie brogues.

The kilt is a knee-length ‘skirt’ with pleats at the rear. It was first worn in the 16th century, by men and boys in the Scottish Highlands. It is typically made from one piece of fabric that is wrapped around and fastened at the side.
Since the 19th century, it has been associated with the wider culture of Scotland in general, or with Celtic – and more specifically Gaelic – heritage further afield.

Today, the Scottish kilt is most frequently worn on formal occasions or at Highland games and sports events. It has, however, all been adapted for more mainstream fashion, and can be seen on catwalks across the globe, worn by Scottish and non-Scottish fans alike.

The sporran is made of leather or fur, and serves as a wallet and container for any other necessary personal items, as the traditional Scottish kilt does not have pockets.

In medieval times, it would have been attached to the belt. Today, it generally hangs just below the belt buckle on a chain, but can be turned around the waist, to let it hang on the hip in a more casual and convenient position.

Gillie brogues are traditional thick-soled shoes, with no tongues and long laces. The laces are secured by wrapping them around the ankles then tied. The shoes deliberately lack tongues, so the wearer’s feet can dry more quickly in typically damp Scottish weather.

The Gillie brogue is named after the Gillie, the traditional Scottish gamekeeper and outdoorsman.

Traditionally, women and girls didn’t wear kilts, but sometimes wore ankle-length plaid skirts. In the absence of this, or in addition, a tartan sash or shawl may also be worn to indicate clan affiliation.

Female dress also includes gillie shoes that are tied on the same way as their male counterparts’, but they tend to have thin soles for indoor wear and dancing.

Women may also wear ‘dress’ tartans, which have white threads woven into the patterns. The light colour of this fabric was a status symbol. It was used to demonstrate prosperity, because the wearer could wear the tartan without fear of it being soiled.

White tartan was also worn to social events as a sign of peace and harmony – indicating it would not be stained by bloodshed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies