Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 11:59 PM

3,326 posts, read 3,189,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
A society where gender roles are slowly becoming extinct.

AKA:

A better society.
Actually, it is not only gender roles that are becoming extinct. So are you. You people, like the western europeans you so desire to emulate, are not producing enough children to replace your numbers. You're culture is.....dying.

source
Quote:
The liberal baby bust
By Phillip Longman
What's the difference between Seattle and Salt Lake City? There are many differences, of course, but here's one you might not know. In Seattle, there are nearly 45% more dogs than children. In Salt Lake City, there are nearly 19% more kids than dogs.
This curious fact might at first seem trivial, but it reflects a much broader and little-noticed demographic trend that has deep implications for the future of global culture and politics. It's not that people in a progressive city such as Seattle are so much fonder of dogs than are people in a conservative city such as Salt Lake City. It's that progressives are so much less likely to have children.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 12:00 AM

30,591 posts, read 52,317,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
West virginia is a part of the appalachian mountains not the ozarks. However, it doesn't really matter as we are of the same culture. In regards to your mother's friend I too understand how he felt. I, once, lived in california. It was quite clear to me I didn't belong there. I came home. Peoples of common cultural traits tend to band together.
One difference between your story and his, he didn't CHOOSE to be disowned and kicked out as a teen. He was ousted from his home without a penny to his name, never to hear from his parents again. They really missed out, too, since he was a heck of an amazing man... we became his family instead, and I really miss him now.

Quote:
Here in another example of your people encouraging compliance with it's cultural norms. Perhaps you remember this. Does this represent all people from your neck of the woods?
Those aren't "my people," and no they don't represent everyone here. I guess you missed the sarcasm in my earlier comment, huh?

Not that a Prop 8 counter-protest is relevant to this issue, seeing as that's related to lawmaking... AFAIK, this child's family isn't trying to pass laws forbidding boys in pants (or forcing acceptance of boys in dresses).

Old 08-10-2012, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Telling people they can't wear a certain style of clothing doesn't sound like freedom nor liberty to me.
Then, by all means, dress your children anyway you like. It matters little to me.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:01 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,965,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I can't believe that NBC is televising women's beach volleyball in primetime - its practically like showing the Playboy channel to 7 year olds.

At least the male volleyball players have the decency to actually wear clothes.
Haha. I just have to SMH and laugh at these hopelessly puritanical remarks.

For the record, I personally wouldn't let any son of mine walk out of the house wearing a dress, but I also wouldn't bother myself with the fact that other parents let their sons do so.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
One difference between your story and his - he didn't CHOOSE to be disowned and kicked out, it was that "conservative tolerance" that literally forced him out. He was ousted from his home without a penny to his name, never to hear from his parents again. They really missed out, too, since he was a heck of an amazing man.

Those aren't "my people," and no they don't represent everyone here. I guess you missed the sarcasm in my earlier comment, huh?

Not that a Prop 8 counter-protest is relevant to this issue, seeing as that's related to lawmaking... AFAIK, this child's family isn't trying to pass laws forbidding boys in pants (or forcing acceptance of boys in dresses).
It all has to do with cultural norms and how they are enforced by different societies. All societies do this, your society is no different than any other in that respect.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Actually, it is not only gender roles that are becoming extinct. So are you. You people, like the western europeans you so desire to emulate, are not producing enough children to replace your numbers. You're culture is.....dying.
So, why does society seem to be getting more & more liberal in its societal norms? You guys complain about that, and then claim we're dying off... make up your minds, LOL.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
Haha. I just have to SMH and laugh at these hopelessly puritanical remarks.

For the record, I personally wouldn't let any son of mine walk out of the house wearing a dress, but I also wouldn't bother myself with the fact that other parents let their sons do so.

So.....who's being puritanical now?

Old 08-10-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
It all has to do with cultural norms and how they are enforced by different societies. All societies do this, your society is no different than any other in that respect.
Unlike you, I have not tried to speak for my "society" once - I have only spoken for myself thus far, so I'm not responsible for what other people here are doing. But yes, every society has their ways of enforcing beliefs... some do so through exclusion, others through inclusion, and I personally only support the latter.

This is really off topic, though, since this family doesn't seem to be forcing anything on anyone.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:17 AM

Btw, being "liberal" isn't a culture - it's a political/social leaning, and a rather vague one at that. I'm a libertarian, for example, so my specific beliefs will differ from your typical Democrat. My cultural identity is Slavic-Jewish and American, not liberal or Californian (especially since I'm not originally from CA).

Old 08-10-2012, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
So, why does society seem to be getting more & more liberal in its societal norms? You guys complain about that, and then claim we're dying off... make up your minds, LOL.
White liberals may well be becoming more "liberal." That doesn't mean the other demographics in this country are adopting your values tho. Our erstwhile mexican, central american, and asian immigrants all represent traditional cultures. It was the black churches along with the mormon church that are largely reponsible for proposition 8 passing. The people of my part of the country are still just as traditional as they've always been. Honest, you won't find anyone around here dressing our little boys in little girls clothing. Honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies