Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 10:56 PM

30,469 posts, read 52,182,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Think of caveman and cavewoman on an island though.

there will still be gender roles here, due to different physical and mental attributes.

Society reflects these.
There will be gender roles, perhaps, but WHICH gender roles? We're speaking of how each gender dresses, and even in modern society these differ between cultures & countries. So how could it be determined by nature, when a man in Samoa and a man in Canada (traditionally) dress so differently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 11:01 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,855,620 times
Nature plays a big part - ie: the climate, landscape and soil etc..

Religion also factors in a great deal.

but anyway, how can anyone claim it to be appropriate for a young boy to wear a dress to school?

Old 08-09-2012, 11:03 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,382,174 times
Quote:
how can anyone claim it to be appropriate for a young boy to wear a dress to school?
It's appropriate for a young boy to wear a dress to school.

Just like that.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
but anyway, how can anyone claim it to be appropriate for a young boy to wear a dress to school?
Apparently, this child's parents can... do you know this child, and if not, how can you claim to know more than his parents?

Old 08-09-2012, 11:05 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,109,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
No it isn't. Dresses are for girls and women. Boys and men don't wear dresses - not if they are normal.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
No it isn't.
Yes it is

People don't concern themselves with the genitalia of small children - not if they are normal.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:11 PM

3,326 posts, read 3,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm not all that familiar with Scottish or Irish culture, so thanks for the interesting link. But I'm not really advocating anything, I'm only saying that should be a free & individual choice. You say to "do whatever you want, just leave my people alone" - and this is all that's being requested in return. If a boy (or man) wants to wear a dress, why can't everyone refrain from giving him a hard time about it? I understand children will tease, but at least the adults can maintain some level of maturity. Is that so much to ask?
You want to paint me as intolerant. All cultures/sub cultures have values. All cultures encourage individuals within those cultures to share the same values and mores. This just one way your culture encourages compliance with your values.

source
Quote:
By Allison Klein
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, July 18, 2007

On a narrow, leafy street in Northwest Washington, where Prius hybrid cars and Volvos are the norm, one man bought a flashy gray Hummer that was too massive to fit in his garage.

So he parked the seven-foot-tall behemoth on the street in front of his house and smiled politely when his eco-friendly neighbors looked on in disapproval at his "dream car."

It lasted five days on the street before two masked men took a bat to every window, a knife to each 38-inch tire and scratched into the body: "FOR THE ENVIRON."

"The thought of somebody vandalizing it never crossed my mind," said Gareth Groves, 32, who lives with his mother in a three-story home in the 4300 block of Brandywine Street NW in American University Park. "I've kind of been in shock."

Now, as Groves ponders what to do with the remains of his $38,000 SUV, he has been the target of a number of people who have driven by the crime scene in his upscale neighborhood and glared at him in smug satisfaction.

"I'd say one in five people who come by have that 'you-got-what-you-deserve' look," said his friend Andy Sexton, 27, who is visiting from Arkansas and has been helping Groves deal with fallout from the crime.

Neighbor Lucille Liem, 37, who owns a Prius hybrid, said that a common sentiment in the neighborhood is that large vehicles are impractical and a strain on the Earth -- and Hummers in particular are a symbol of consumer excess.

"The neighborhood in general is very concerned with the environment," said Liem, whose Prius gets about 48 miles a gallon compared with the Hummer's 14 miles a gallon. "It's more liberal leaning. It's ridiculous to be driving a Hummer.".......

Old 08-09-2012, 11:13 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,855,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post

Just like that.
because?

how can this be appropriate?

Old 08-09-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
because?

how can this be appropriate?
Because the default is that everything is appropriate unless their is reason it is inappropriate. No one has provided a reason that it is inappropriate.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
You want to paint me as intolerant. All cultures/sub cultures have values. All cultures encourage individuals within those cultures to share the same values and mores. This just one way your culture encourages compliance with your values.
When did I ever call you intolerant? I've been very civil to you, and completely respect your opinions and values... I've only said that not everyone agrees, and asked if you're able to accept that. You didn't actually answer my question, so I have no idea if you're tolerant or not.

P.S. I'm not a cross-dresser, nor do I have a child, and therefore this is not my issue to defend. I've never advocated sending a boy to school in a dress, it's just none of my business if they do.

Quote:
source
What on earth does that have to do with me, or with allowing people to dress as they please? I think you've been smoking some California herb, LOL.

Every sub-culture has its wackos, but that really doesn't mean anything to the general population. Should I pull out similar stories from conservatives or the Ozarks? Matter of fact, I was just thinking of my mother's recently departed friend, who was originally from the Ozarks (WV)... he was basically forced out of his hometown, and permanently disowned by his parents, just for being openly gay. Should I assume that represents all people from your neck of the woods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies