Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 08:44 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,145,747 times

Advertisements

Gender issues..... I think our whole damn society has issues, as we continue to spiral downward.
Nothing seems wrong or odd or shameful anymore apparently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 08:55 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,180,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
It's unbelievable that we're even considering this as an option for children.

Why can't parents raise their children as they are supposed to be raised. Why are children given so much freedom to dictate to their parents how they will dress?

If my son wanted to dress up like superman and go to school there's no way that would happen, but a dress? Give me a break.

What’s So Bad About a Boy Who Wants to Wear a Dress?

At 4 years old, there's no way I'd allow my son to make those decisions on his own.

There's an image of a boy in a green dress that goes with the article linked. That kid is probably older than 7 years old, I can't believe the world of hurt his parents are setting him up for. Why don't adults just put their foot down and impart discipline and be a parent.
It's just plain STUPID for anyone to wear a dress to school!

Last edited by Who?Me?!; 08-09-2012 at 09:04 PM..

Old 08-09-2012, 08:56 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,051,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
It's just palin STUPID for anyone to wear a dress to school!
Was your use of the word "palin" deliberate or an error?

I'm all for school dress codes - long skirts or dresses for the girls - shirt and tie with slacks for the boys.

That would go a long way towards improving our education system.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:57 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,302,451 times
Quote:
It's just PLAIN STUPID for anyone to wear a dress to school!

Does this include Girls??

Old 08-09-2012, 09:01 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,680,959 times
Quote:
It's just palin STUPID for anyone to wear a dress to school!
I would agree that it's probably stupid for a boy to wear a dress to school. School is all about learning how to fit in with the larger society outside of the tight family unit. Kids need this to develop into functioning adults. Wearing a dress is not going to make the process easy.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:01 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,863,275 times
I guess wearing a dress to school will make you grow up tough.

Johnny Cash A Boy Named Sue Live At San Quentin 1969 No Bleep - YouTube

Old 08-09-2012, 09:03 PM

30,118 posts, read 18,723,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
It's unbelievable that we're even considering this as an option for children.

Why can't parents raise their children as they are supposed to be raised. Why are children given so much freedom to dictate to their parents how they will dress?

If my son wanted to dress up like superman and go to school there's no way that would happen, but a dress? Give me a break.

What’s So Bad About a Boy Who Wants to Wear a Dress?

At 4 years old, there's no way I'd allow my son to make those decisions on his own.

There's an image of a boy in a green dress that goes with the article linked. That kid is probably older than 7 years old, I can't believe the world of hurt his parents are setting him up for. Why don't adults just put their foot down and impart discipline and be a parent.

When I was in college, I convinced my roommate - a former high school state champion in wrestling (I wrestled as well, but was not a state champ) to go to a biker bar, dressed in women's clothing in drag, and start talking crap about bikers. We figured we could take on 8-10 bikers and destroy them, thus going into a situation as cocky jerks, just wanting to beat people up. To our dismay, the biker guys thought it was ballsy (yet funny as hell) and bought us drinks, played pool, and took photos of us . They thought it was "cool" that we had the balls to come down to "their bar" and loved it. We all had a great time.

It reminds me of the Dr. Suess story "Sneetches, and other stories". We went to this place basically to kick some as* and came out really liking these biker dudes. They were low income, white trash(we had educations, but they did not)- just like us- we had a alot of fun. They knew we were there for trouble, but were the "gentleman" in the situation and did not start a fight. They were cooler heads who were good guys and prevailed over younger "thugs" looking for a confrontation. We, incidentally, were straight "A" students (although thugs) and should have known better; these bikers were very cool, in contrast to us.

"White trash" is not always irrational and impulsive. We thought they were "regular guys", just like us (who were lower income, yet educated, youths). I tell my kids about that today, such that they do not judge people based on their appearance or income group. Given their income status, they will never have the "fun" of bar fights, but certainly understand the importance of evaluation of an individual, based upon their character, rather than appearance or income class.

Last edited by hawkeye2009; 08-09-2012 at 09:14 PM..

Old 08-09-2012, 09:10 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,180,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Was your use of the word "palin" deliberate or an error?""""

I fixed it for you...I know how easily you're confused.

"""I'm all for school dress codes - long skirts or dresses for the girls - shirt and tie with slacks for the boys.

Wearing dresses improves education????? That's just NUTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Does this include Girls??

Yes, see, for many years now (since before even the 1900's) women have worn pants, normal , comfortable, practical PANTS....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I would agree that it's probably stupid for a boy to wear a dress to school. School is all about learning how to fit in with the larger society outside of the tight family unit. Kids need this to develop into functioning adults. Wearing a dress is not going to make the process easy.

Not for girls either.....

I can't believe the Dirty Old Men in here who LOVE the idea of school girls in skirts....phew!!!

Old 08-09-2012, 09:11 PM

30,409 posts, read 52,025,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I'm all for school dress codes - long skirts or dresses for the girls - shirt and tie with slacks for the boys.

I actually support school uniforms too, but think the girls should also have a pants option (as they do at most schools with uniforms around here). I mean, what if it's freezing cold, snowing, raining, etc? The pants would still be within uniform standards, so I believe that would be good enough. JMO

Old 08-09-2012, 09:12 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,969,694 times
When I was a little boy I would have never worn a dress to school ...

Unless my mother would buy me a classic little black dress designed by Coco Chanel, a simple cultured pearl necklace by Mikimoto, a tasteful handbag by Louis Vuitton, and shoes from Manolo Blahnik.

Otherwise it was strictly dungarees and a white T-shirt for me!

If I'm gonna wear drag, it's gotta be classy drag! Who do you think I am, Sarah Palin???

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies