Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2018, 04:23 PM

10 posts, read 17,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post

April through most of October though in Mpls is very tolerable and often times nice. It's a great city all in all when you throw in quality of life.
I have to admit there are nice days before summer(April) and fall(october) right before the freeze takes hold. Otherwise you get eaten alive by mosquitoes

Old 06-13-2018, 07:28 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,307,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5 View Post
I have to admit there are nice days before summer(April) and fall(october) right before the freeze takes hold. Otherwise you get eaten alive by mosquitoes
Having a ton of mosquitoes in the nicer suburbs of downtown Mpls or St. Paul is mostly an old wives tale. No offense to the old wives.

Sure, there's skeeters in Minnesota, but it's not like it used to be and the many times I've been in the Twin Cities in the summer, I haven't noticed any at all.

I suppose it's mostly around the rural lakes, etc. With over 10,000 of them over (11.842 over 10 acres or more) I'm sure there's a few skeeters in the state.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:05 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,319,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5 View Post
Where I grew up it was also gnats. Swarms of them. Don't miss that!

Old 06-14-2018, 08:24 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,981,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Where I grew up it was also gnats. Swarms of them. Don't miss that!
Same here, especially in the PHX Mts. When hiking you literally have to keep moving at a brisk pace, because the stupid gnats wont leave you alone. As soon as you stop to rest, youre swatting dozens of them off of you.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:25 AM

262 posts, read 203,100 times
Even though I think the politics here are kind of screwed up, the police seem to not give a damn about any of us, and the heat makes people very mean and angry through the summer, the fact is the summer is the best for traffic. In the winter is best for going out and enjoying your life.

There’s about a good seven months of decent weather here and if you’re in sales, there are tons and tons of people to sell stuff too. There’s a lot to offer here and there’s a lot of opportunity if you’re willing to work hard for it.

You just have to be careful and be ready for the heat and stay with some water.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:27 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,319,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Same here, especially in the PHX Mts. When hiking you literally have to keep moving at a brisk pace, because the stupid gnats wont leave you alone. As soon as you stop to rest, youre swatting dozens of them off of you.
Not even the same intensity! The ones here are only in certain areas (I've encountered them on South Mountain) but back where I grew up it was pretty much every time you went in the yard. Add to that the high humidity and you get bugs sticking to your face. Not fun. Here you don't encounter them in every day life. A friend on Facebook who lives where I grew up just posted yesterday that they were looking forward to some relaxing on the deck but the gnats made them come inside. That's not an issue there.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:30 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,750,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I’m out at PMP regularly and many other preserves, 3000 miles a year biking, hiking and walking. I’ve never had even a remote issue with bugs as compared to living east of the Mississippi, sorry bud but I’m calling this as an exaggeration.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:28 PM

39,109 posts, read 51,340,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyDwyer480 View Post
Even though I think the politics here are kind of screwed up, the police seem to not give a damn about any of us, and the heat makes people very mean and angry through the summer, the fact is the summer is the best for traffic. In the winter is best for going out and enjoying your life.

There’s about a good seven months of decent weather here and if you’re in sales, there are tons and tons of people to sell stuff too. There’s a lot to offer here and there’s a lot of opportunity if you’re willing to work hard for it.

You just have to be careful and be ready for the heat and stay with some water.
After many years of telling myself that winter is better, I am leaning toward liking summer more now (god help me). I could not get over all the hours of darkness and the cold this past winter. I really like having the sun up when I get up and not having to bundle up. And a little daylight after dinner is welcome. Then again you have a good point about more things to do in winter. I don't know - there is a lot to say for both times of year. We live in paradise, don't we?

Old 06-14-2018, 07:10 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,022,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I’m out at PMP regularly and many other preserves, 3000 miles a year biking, hiking and walking. I’ve never had even a remote issue with bugs as compared to living east of the Mississippi, sorry bud but I’m calling this as an exaggeration.
He is right to a point. I was in the PMP last weekend. As soon as I got to a summit, I was swarmed with gnats, flies etc. For me it's a minor annoyance, but still annoying especially when stopped.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:19 PM

262 posts, read 203,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
After many years of telling myself that winter is better, I am leaning toward liking summer more now (god help me). I could not get over all the hours of darkness and the cold this past winter. I really like having the sun up when I get up and not having to bundle up. And a little daylight after dinner is welcome. Then again you have a good point about more things to do in winter. I don't know - there is a lot to say for both times of year. We live in paradise, don't we?

To each his own I suppose. I’m looking forward to the winter and the extended darkness. It’s like I cannot get up early enough to enjoy a little bit of time before the sun comes out. There’s just no way I’m going to get up at 4 AM to beat the sun you know what I mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area