Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2018, 03:31 PM

5,649 posts, read 6,017,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
In your post you indicated that it was torture to change your battery in the heat but easy when it's 20 below. Now you are saying it took "5 minutes and is relatively easy to do." Which is it??

There are other methods to get one's batter changed. I use AAA, or you could hire someone, but if you did that you'd have less to complain about, and it seems like money is a huge concern for you. Many other places to live that are cheaper and the weather isn't as hot.

I was in Omaha for the past four days and for two or three of them it was 99 degrees an humid. It was similar in the place you love (Chicago). I didn't compare heat indices of Phoenix and Omaha/Chicago during those days. I was too busy enjoying life and the College World Series to even notice much. (Had a seat in the shade at the Greatest Show on Dirt!)
Its basic common sense... when its hot, you sweat and get ill-tempered. When its cold, you dress for it. Easy. Is it fun changing a battery when its super hot or mega cold? No.

I guess you can pay for AAA and wait around for them to show up for something as simple as a battery change and have no place to go. At which point the AAA guy gets there and says under his breath "this dude really cant change a battery?"

And yes, it was humid there in Omaha and CHI. It happens a few times each summer. Then it goes away. Then it comes back. Then it goes away. It doesn't go away here. It stays. For months on end.

People move to PHX for the sun and lack of natural disasters. I don't think there has been a person in the history of mankind to say "I cant wait to move to a place where its 110-118 degrees for 100+ straight days! Its going to be so enjoyable!"

Old 06-20-2018, 04:40 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,783,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Its basic common sense... when its hot, you sweat and get ill-tempered. When its cold, you dress for it. Easy. Is it fun changing a battery when its super hot or mega cold? No.

I guess you can pay for AAA and wait around for them to show up for something as simple as a battery change and have no place to go. At which point the AAA guy gets there and says under his breath "this dude really cant change a battery?"

And yes, it was humid there in Omaha and CHI. It happens a few times each summer. Then it goes away. Then it comes back. Then it goes away. It doesn't go away here. It stays. For months on end.

People move to PHX for the sun and lack of natural disasters. I don't think there has been a person in the history of mankind to say "I cant wait to move to a place where its 110-118 degrees for 100+ straight days! Its going to be so enjoyable!"
When it’s hot you do things in the morning or night, find shade whenever possible, have water nearby and also dress for it in light clothing, a hat, etc.... you make it sound like there’s nothing that gen be done to avoid heat issues... it’s not 120 24 hours a day 6 months of the year. It’s pretty manageable to plan outdoor activity when it’s below 100.

It’s never been 110+ for 100 straight days, probably hasn’t even been 100+ for 100 days. I also don’t think anyone moves to areas where it’s below for days on end and says it’s going to be so much fun!

Old 06-20-2018, 08:34 PM

2,555 posts, read 2,316,106 times
Quote:

Or a person who says I can't wait to move to Chicago there's six months of bad weather...plus scattered times the other six months where 's it's bad, also.

Weather is one consideration...pick your poison....

Old 06-21-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
When it’s hot you do things in the morning or night, find shade whenever possible, have water nearby and also dress for it in light clothing, a hat, etc.... you make it sound like there’s nothing that gen be done to avoid heat issues... it’s not 120 24 hours a day 6 months of the year. It’s pretty manageable to plan outdoor activity when it’s below 100.

It’s never been 110+ for 100 straight days, probably hasn’t even been 100+ for 100 days. I also don’t think anyone moves to areas where it’s below for days on end and says it’s going to be so much fun!
When you state "you do things in the morning or night", that pertains to planned activities. And yes, I agree there. But car problems in mid day heat? You don't really have an option there, and its miserable.

I meant to say 100-118 for 100+ straight days. I obviously know its not 100 degrees for 100 days. If that was the case, I think everyone would leave. I believe the records show over 100 days of 100+ degree temps on average in Phoenix annually.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:06 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,302,345 times
I blew a tire in the middle of summer - it sucked.

Not a much as shovelling a driveway growing up or getting car unstuck from a ditch

Old 06-21-2018, 10:02 AM

3,421 posts, read 2,953,804 times
Quote:
I believe the records show over 100 days of 100+ degree temps on average in Phoenix annually.
https://weather.com/news/climate/new...e-most-records

Old 06-21-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
Thanks for the link! Most places Ive check list 90-102 days a year of temps at 100+. I was right on the money.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:18 PM

156 posts, read 165,116 times
As a sun worshipper, I most def prefer a sunny climate over a cold one. One thing that I don't think has been mentioned is Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). It's a real condition that affects some people that live in gloomy weather places, particularly during the winter due to lack of sun exposure.

Here are some thoughts about living in the desert, both good and both. Though keep in mind I live in southeastern CA desert.

*It's paradise for 6 months of the year, from November-April (Thus why we get the snowbirds)
*Don't have to worry about shoveling snow, black ice, slipping on ice, blizzards, being snowed in, scraping ice from car
windshields, etc.
*You'll have an abundance of sunshine pretty much year round.
* The sun is harsh on car batteries, generally lasting only 2 years.
*July & August are the most brutal months, where temps reach 110+. The sun will hurt your face and skin if it hits you directly after a while.
*You can easily get burned when opening doors, touching objects exposed to sun, etc.
*Getting in the car that is not in the shade & has been hours in the sun is one of the worst feelings ever. Another easy way to get burned. It's essential to get windows tinted & find shade whenever possible. Ideally you have a newer car that you can turn on AC with remote.
*Summer heat can be dangerous, especially if you go hiking during those months. Many people have underestimated the heat & have died as a result of heat stroke and dehydration.
*You move around your day to adjust to the heat by doing things in the morning & evenings, avoiding afternoons whenever possible.
*AC is a must
*It's really important to drink lots of water & stay hydrated throughout the day
*Going to the beach is heaven & a rite of passage during the summer. Something I look forward to every year. (More of a CA thing)
*Possibly get cracked lips and dry skin during winter due to lack of humidity. It happens to me.
*The wide open sunny blue sky is one of the most beautiful things about the desert.
*Starry Sky,you can actually see the night stars due to low light pollution.
*The desert has a serenity & tranquility that is hard to describe.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:50 PM

274 posts, read 298,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I know exactly what you mean. The summer heat seems to become more monotonous and harder to deal with the longer you live here. What's even more discouraging is how the average temperatures have increased over the years, and it will likely keep getting even warmer ... this is largely due to the urban heat island effect, and it mainly affects evening/late night/early morning temps.

With that said, I don't agree about staying inside all summer. I purposely use my vacation days during the summer months and take periodic trips to cooler destinations, otherwise I would probably go stir crazy if I had to stay here and endure the heat. Traveling and seeing different scenery from time to time is good for you anyway. I think too many people stay here during the summer, sweating it out, or staying cooped up in a house or office doing their usual drudgery, and that's what makes them grouchy. I'd very likely be the same way if I didn't take vacations from now through August.

Yes, the concrete, asphalts, and buildings heating up in the day does not help it at all. I would imagine if there wasn't a lot of "land development" the temperatures may be a lot better.

I suppose I'm finding myself inside all summer because I can't stand the heat. I'd love to go out, but with a two small children that can't regulate their temperatures well it is difficult and with the area we are in - I don't feel it's safest to go out super early morning or late at night. The littles get upset in the car when it's dark out - ugh. Not to mention, when you're in so much debt that vacation to a cooler spot isn't in the books...it feels impossible to deal. Don't get me wrong, I love being outside. If I could, I'd be out every single day, but the heat with small children just makes it too difficult. It's okay, though, come August I won't be in the Phoenix area...thank goodness.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:41 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,930,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I blew a tire in the middle of summer - it sucked.

Not a much as shovelling a driveway growing up or getting car unstuck from a ditch
It's a matter of preference.

I'd still rather shovel snow than change a tire in summer, lol.

I had a tire blow on me when I was living in Tennessee and it was 98 F that day and humid as a MF...and did I mention SUNNY? Ugh, that sucked. It doesn't take long to change a tire and I had no problems doing it but I was absolutely drenched by the time I got back in the car. Any kind of car work when it's too hot is a bummer and unless it's absolutely necessary I avoid working on cars when it's over 80 F.

Some years before that I had a tire go driving back from Pulaski, NY to Syracuse, NY right as a massive snowstorm was coming in. It was blowing snow all over and about 22 F out with winds blowing 25-35 MPH. It was more miserable than it had to be since I had only brought my light coat and hadn't brought gloves Still, it was easier warming up after freezing my arse off than cooling down after sweating it off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area