Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2018, 02:49 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,983,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Just curious, if you dislike it here so much and so love the Chicagoland that you left, did you ever consider moving back?....
No place is perfect, that's why. I left CHI for the wife, quite unwillingly. Theres a lot I love about AZ, and a lot I hate. Same went for IL. And TN.

Old 06-11-2018, 03:41 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,909,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
A few days a year it’s super hot in the late afternoon is much better than almost anywhere in the midwest or southeast.

Really I can’t even believe people would argue this. The upper Midwest like the dakotas and Montana both herb blazing hot in the summer and frigid in the winter areas of Michigan and Wisconsin are cold from
September to may, the east coast is socked in by snow for half of the spring, and the southeast is regularly 100+ with humidity.

115 for a few hours a year is vastly superior to take than months of freezing temps, humidity, snow and dreary rain.
People argue this because of personal preferences

The upper Midwest does have some hot days; I've been in Minnesota and seen the periodic 90F+ degree day but it's not commonly that hot up there. I would expect 90F+ temperatures in Phoenix/other desert SW and in the South.

Yes, the Midwest does have quite a large temperature difference between winter and summer but there are some people who love that type of climate. Go up to Minneapolis or the Michigan's UP and you'll see the wintr enthusiasts out in full force

Most of the Northeast does get some snow but the majority of it does not get massive amounts. The snowbelt extending from Cleveland through Syracuse tends to get large amounts of snow; usually 6-12 feet depending on where one is in that snow belt. A lot of Northeastern areas are pretty mild for snow fall, or at least as I see it. If you don't like snow, avoid Pulaski, NY or Tug Hill; they often get 15-20 feet of it a year.

The climates of the Midwest do get rain but are not particularly cloudy IMO. Some of the cities in the snow belt are cloudy but I love clouds and rain.

I personally love our March and April here because you never know if it's going to be in the 40s/50's or if it's going to go berserk and dump a foot of snow or break out with some thunderstorms. It generally ends up doing all three things during those months ::

It's just a matter of preference. I happen to enjoy 4-season climates that are cloudy, humid and have long winters and others like ones with hot summers. It kind of works out better that way because it would be awfully crowded in Arizona or the Snow Belt if all of us preferred one or the other

Old 06-12-2018, 07:36 PM

277 posts, read 277,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
People argue this because of personal preferences

The upper Midwest does have some hot days; I've been in Minnesota and seen the periodic 90F+ degree day but it's not commonly that hot up there. I would expect 90F+ temperatures in Phoenix/other desert SW and in the South.

Yes, the Midwest does have quite a large temperature difference between winter and summer but there are some people who love that type of climate. Go up to Minneapolis or the Michigan's UP and you'll see the wintr enthusiasts out in full force

Most of the Northeast does get some snow but the majority of it does not get massive amounts. The snowbelt extending from Cleveland through Syracuse tends to get large amounts of snow; usually 6-12 feet depending on where one is in that snow belt. A lot of Northeastern areas are pretty mild for snow fall, or at least as I see it. If you don't like snow, avoid Pulaski, NY or Tug Hill; they often get 15-20 feet of it a year.

The climates of the Midwest do get rain but are not particularly cloudy IMO. Some of the cities in the snow belt are cloudy but I love clouds and rain.

I personally love our March and April here because you never know if it's going to be in the 40s/50's or if it's going to go berserk and dump a foot of snow or break out with some thunderstorms. It generally ends up doing all three things during those months ::

It's just a matter of preference. I happen to enjoy 4-season climates that are cloudy, humid and have long winters and others like ones with hot summers. It kind of works out better that way because it would be awfully crowded in Arizona or the Snow Belt if all of us preferred one or the other
My argument is that in terms of how much it affects your life, a few hot days a year that really have no affect other than comfort is much easier to deal with than cold climates

Weather you prefer cold or heat is irrelevant it’s simply easier to live in a hot climate, less work, less interruption, less special clothing and materials, less maintainence etc.

Offices and schools never shut down for snow, our cities don’t need to spend millions on snow plows and pot holes every year. I never have to worry about hail damage or ice dams on my roof. I’ll never have to rake leaves, I don’t need heavy coats and boots etc etc

There is a reason why the earliest civilizations began in warm climates

Old 06-12-2018, 08:52 PM

6,313 posts, read 4,220,935 times
Quote:
My argument is that in terms of how much it affects your life, a few hot days a year that really have no affect other than comfort is much easier to deal with than cold climates

Weather you prefer cold or heat is irrelevant it’s simply easier to live in a hot climate, less work, less interruption, less special clothing and materials, less maintainence etc.

Offices and schools never shut down for snow, our cities don’t need to spend millions on snow plows and pot holes every year. I never have to worry about hail damage or ice dams on my roof. I’ll never have to rake leaves, I don’t need heavy coats and boots etc etc

I’d say that is a personal preference. Me I prefer a temperate climate but I’ve lived with very cold weather and now live with very hot weather and like all extremes in weather I cope. There are resource and expenses in every climate ,that’s like comparing apples and oranges.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:11 AM

586 posts, read 543,345 times
Cold climates don't have to spend thousands on water for landscaping every year, they don't have to paint their house every 7 to 10 years, they don't have to replace AC every 10 years, cars don't need new batteries, wipers, etc every few years. There is maintenance in each location based on climate. And you make it sound like summer heat is 10 days while winter is 8 months in the North, both are incorrect. Where I live has 75 to 85 degree average for 5 months, a coupe months of fall, a couple months of spring, and 3 cold winter months. That's kinda similar to AZ's opposite direction weather. And I live in Canada. I have a house in both places and I spend more on maintenance in AZ than I do in Canada.
Quote:

Old 06-13-2018, 09:51 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,983,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
Cold climates don't have to spend thousands on water for landscaping every year, they don't have to paint their house every 7 to 10 years, they don't have to replace AC every 10 years, cars don't need new batteries, wipers, etc every few years. There is maintenance in each location based on climate. And you make it sound like summer heat is 10 days while winter is 8 months in the North, both are incorrect. Where I live has 75 to 85 degree average for 5 months, a coupe months of fall, a couple months of spring, and 3 cold winter months. That's kinda similar to AZ's opposite direction weather. And I live in Canada. I have a house in both places and I spend more on maintenance in AZ than I do in Canada.
I concur. Home and auto maintenance here is far worse than in cold climates. We never once put a dime into heat or a/c repairs up north, unlike here. The heat and dry air ruin everything. The only benefit to the climate here is that cars don't really ever rust. But the paint and interiors get destroyed, so take your pick.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:15 AM

39,109 posts, read 51,351,497 times
Quote:

Rake leaves? Maybe not, but life would be impossible here without blowers.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:43 AM

I'm on the Prairies in Canada so cars rusting also isn't an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I concur. Home and auto maintenance here is far worse than in cold climates. We never once put a dime into heat or a/c repairs up north, unlike here. The heat and dry air ruin everything. The only benefit to the climate here is that cars don't really ever rust. But the paint and interiors get destroyed, so take your pick.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:46 AM

277 posts, read 277,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
You don’t have to spend thousands on water here you choose too. You think that the cold causes more car maintainance? That’s absurd and I’ve never seen anyone needing new house paint everyb7 years more like every 20.

You are all incorrect on assessing that hot climates are somehow more maintainence intense in warm climates, it’s simply untrue.

Why do ruins in deserts last for thousands of years? You guys are fooling yourselves

Old 06-13-2018, 10:49 AM

Houses in my neighborhood are being painted on a regular basis right now, none are 10 years old. I did mine at 7. The rest of your post makes little sense when replying to mine????
Quote:
You don’t have to spend thousands on water here you choose too. You think that the cold causes more car maintainance? That’s absurd and I’ve never seen anyone needing new house paint everyb7 years more like every 20.

You are all incorrect on assessing that hot climates are somehow more maintainence intense in warm climates, it’s simply untrue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area