Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2018, 08:50 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,614,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by viridianforest View Post
Lol at how old this forum is.

I love how people are all like, "Today was so cloudy and rainy and nice," and I have to agree, but it doesn't make up for all the other days we've had that are over 100 and all the ones coming up that will be 100 or more...yuck. Welcome summer...time to stay indoors and go stir crazy just to keep cool. I'd rather be kept inside due to cool rather than heat.
I agree with you. If it's freezing cold outside you've usually also got sleet or snow to contend with so you're not likely to be spending much time outside anyway.

Is there such a thing as reverse SAD (seasonal affective disorder?) My mood brightens on a cloudy day, especially with the prospect of rain here in the valley.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:57 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,993,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
It's a matter of preference.

I'd still rather shovel snow than change a tire in summer, lol.

I had a tire blow on me when I was living in Tennessee and it was 98 F that day and humid as a MF...and did I mention SUNNY? Ugh, that sucked. It doesn't take long to change a tire and I had no problems doing it but I was absolutely drenched by the time I got back in the car. Any kind of car work when it's too hot is a bummer and unless it's absolutely necessary I avoid working on cars when it's over 80 F.

Some years before that I had a tire go driving back from Pulaski, NY to Syracuse, NY right as a massive snowstorm was coming in. It was blowing snow all over and about 22 F out with winds blowing 25-35 MPH. It was more miserable than it had to be since I had only brought my light coat and hadn't brought gloves Still, it was easier warming up after freezing my arse off than cooling down after sweating it off.
^

This.

Cheers!

Last edited by BIG CATS; 06-22-2018 at 09:25 AM..

Old 06-22-2018, 02:57 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,916,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
I agree with you. If it's freezing cold outside you've usually also got sleet or snow to contend with so you're not likely to be spending much time outside anyway.

Is there such a thing as reverse SAD (seasonal affective disorder?) My mood brightens on a cloudy day, especially with the prospect of rain here in the valley.
Reverse SAD does exist though for a long time it was not thought to. The research body on it is not as extensive on it as regular SAD disorder since it is not nearly as common:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...too-180955673/

Treatment for it is not well developed but follows the same basic regimen as for regular depressive episodes:

https://www.webmd.com/depression/summer-depression#1

I would also think that trips (if affordable) to cloudier places also might help out

I don't know if I actually have reverse SAD but my mood drastically improves when it is dark and cloudy out; the kind of cloudy with low-lying stratus clouds. I also feel happy when it rains and snows.

I lived in a couple of sunny climates and I would feel depressed because it seemed like that sun never quit, lol. I remember feeling relief and being delighted when we would get the rare cloudy day

I am fortunate where I live now since generally the only time you have to deal with sun is during the summer and late spring. You almost never see the sun in the winter or fall and pretty rarely in the early spring.

It's not super common but you aren't alone in this

Old 06-22-2018, 03:19 PM

39,127 posts, read 51,411,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post

It's boredom with the same old, same old weather everyday. It can be bad here. When it gets gray and cool, I too get the rush, but after two days I am so sick of it and happy to see Ol' Sol again. Sunshine is addicting. Gray is depressing. Now, today and for the next month, the sun is kinda ugly. It is so damn bright and glaring. Come September, though, the shadows and the textures of things return and it is nice just to look at the world bathed in sun again.

Old 06-22-2018, 04:12 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,185,076 times
Yup...they want to do a study on peoples' affection for inclement weather, AZ would be a good place to start. Too much of any one type of weather is going to affect your outlook on a change, one way or the other. I love the sun...just not right now.

Old 06-22-2018, 05:06 PM

31 posts, read 23,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Reverse SAD does exist though for a long time it was not thought to. The research body on it is not as extensive on it as regular SAD disorder since it is not nearly as common:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...too-180955673/

Treatment for it is not well developed but follows the same basic regimen as for regular depressive episodes:

https://www.webmd.com/depression/summer-depression#1

I would also think that trips (if affordable) to cloudier places also might help out

I don't know if I actually have reverse SAD but my mood drastically improves when it is dark and cloudy out; the kind of cloudy with low-lying stratus clouds. I also feel happy when it rains and snows.

I lived in a couple of sunny climates and I would feel depressed because it seemed like that sun never quit, lol. I remember feeling relief and being delighted when we would get the rare cloudy day

I am fortunate where I live now since generally the only time you have to deal with sun is during the summer and late spring. You almost never see the sun in the winter or fall and pretty rarely in the early spring.

It's not super common but you aren't alone in this
I totally agree with you about feeling pumped up on a dark cloudy day. I like rain but I need clouds even more. I actually prefer those long overcast days where it doesn't rain and you can take advantage of doing things outdoors without the sun in your face. I have lived in Tucson for the past year and it has been sheer misery. Last week, we got a rare cloudy day and me and my husband were delighted. After like 100 days of constant (and I mean constant sunshine) it was amazing. The other day I happened to catch one of my favorite childhood movies - this old Disney made for TV movie called Holes where they are working in the desert waiting for a cloud to roll by to block the sun lol - I can relate now. I felt on top of the world like nothing else - I felt like running a marathon even though I've sadly had to give up running since moving here because of the brutal sun beating down all year round.

The funny thing was that the weather on this rare cloudy day was the "dreaded" 90's and humid and yet we felt so cool and refreshed that we went to our favorite hiking spot and actually did the trail twice because we did not want to leave. The cactus looked greener, the air smelt fresher, the mountains looked better., the area felt less chainy and more natural than usual I can't even explain seeing the clouds after 100 days with sun beating down on your face especially if you are an outdoors person like me. I think living in Arizona and being any type of outdoorsy person just doesn't mix. We basically never play tennis anymore either which is sad and riding the bike feels like a chore of trying to get done before the sun blasts us too much.

Most people out here say that dry and 100+ feels cooler than 80 and super high humidity and my husband and I (and everyone that has visited us) beg to differ. My GPS weather station today actually says 135 degrees in the sun! In my opinion, the sun index matters much more than the humidity index especially when you are doing activities outside. When you hike out in the desert, you are basically hiking in 135 degrees where when you hike out in a humid climate there are more shade and trees to block the sun which really makes ALL the difference! The funniest thing of all is that I sweat like nothing else in the desert and am surprised by the number of gnats and mosquitoes here!

Thankfully moving out of Tucson this fall and moving on to greener pastures, both literally and figuratively!

Old 06-22-2018, 11:56 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,673,934 times
I find the weather absolutely perfect. I love it. Maybe when monsoon season hits and the humidity kicks in, it may be a different story.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:42 AM

3,411 posts, read 4,667,057 times
I can guarantee you, if the weather was more bipolar like in Denver, you guys would probably complain about it too. I personally wasn't a fan of it when I lived there. Monotonous weather has its advantages.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:17 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,634,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Monotonous weather has its advantages.
Fair and warmer.
Fair and warmer.
Fair and warmer.
Fair and warmer.
Fair and warmer.
Fair and warmer.
Fair and warmer.

etc...

Old 06-23-2018, 09:48 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,993,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Yup...they want to do a study on peoples' affection for inclement weather, AZ would be a good place to start. Too much of any one type of weather is going to affect your outlook on a change, one way or the other. I love the sun...just not right now.
Would be interesting actually. I dislike change and while the heat aggravates me, it doesn’t control my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area