Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2018, 09:38 PM

4,176 posts, read 2,580,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
To divert my point and change the conversation of course.

I only challenge that the state is barren based on a cross state drive. It is clearly not.

Whether I’d be excited at the prospect of being stranded by a broken down car? Irrelevant to that point.
Nooo, (she said slowly, and patiently ). It was in the beginning of all this when he first wrote about that stretch. You don't remember do you, lol? And it's not the whole state as you claim here "I only challenge that the state is barren based on a cross state drive." Nobody said that. Give us a direct quote where it was said that the whole state is barren as you claim. The guy even said he likes Arizona. It was just part of it that was sucky to him. I wouldn't have liked it either.

You said: "To divert my point and change the conversation of course."
And why, my good man, are you so paranoid? Most of us are straightforward, and don't play games. Only making statements of fact as we see it. This is a discussion, not a board game. He made the point first before any of you responded. Just because you can't remember it is not our fault.

You just don't like it that some people think that part of your state is fugly, and are arguing that it isn't. It's our opinion, not everybody likes the same thing. Lots of states have areas that some people don't like, and others do. Big deal.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

Parts of Arizona are beautiful, and parts not so much. Please see my earlier post about the Arizona places I do like. Some people even love the dried out yucky parts. And it all depends of who you are talking to. Everyone is different. You keep arguing that other people's opinions are not valid. Hey those desert stretches look barren to some of us. You can love it if you want to. Let us have the same freedom to see it differently. One person's dessicated wasteland is another's outdoor paradise .

All done now. Remember, nobody said the whole state was barren. That road doesn't spread out over the whole state. Now, back to good old Hot Phoenix, for me at least.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:57 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,971,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Nooo, (she said slowly, and patiently ). It was in the beginning of all this when he first wrote about that stretch. You don't remember do you, lol? And it's not the whole state as you claim here "I only challenge that the state is barren based on a cross state drive." Nobody said that. Give us a direct quote where it was said that the whole state is barren as you claim. The guy even said he likes Arizona. It was just part of it that was sucky to him. I wouldn't have liked it either.

You said: "To divert my point and change the conversation of course."
And why, my good man, are you so paranoid? Most of us are straightforward, and don't play games. Only making statements of fact as we see it. This is a discussion, not a board game. He made the point first before any of you responded. Just because you can't remember it is not our fault.

You just don't like it that some people think that part of your state is fugly, and are arguing that it isn't. It's our opinion, not everybody likes the same thing. Lots of states have areas that some people don't like, and others do. Big deal.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

Parts of Arizona are beautiful, and parts not so much. Please see my earlier post about the Arizona places I do like. Some people even love the dried out yucky parts. And it all depends of who you are talking to. Everyone is different. You keep arguing that other people's opinions are not valid. Hey those desert stretches look barren to some of us. You can love it if you want to. Let us have the same freedom to see it differently. One person's dessicated wasteland is another's outdoor paradise .

All done now. Remember, nobody said the whole state was barren. That road doesn't spread out over the whole state. Now, back to good old Hot Phoenix, for me at least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
On two occasions I drove from Las Vegas,NV to El Paso,TX driving from the northwestern tip, to the southeastern tip of AZ crossing the entire state diagonal, what I noticed is, how desolate the vast areas are away from the metro areas. When I say desolate, I mean no sign of life, no brush, no cactus, nothing but dust, highway, and extremely hot, dry scorched land. The area reminded me of what the moon would look like if it had an atmosphere. The picturesque landscape of the painted dessert was nowhere to be found in many remote areas, all I could think of is, what a horrible area it would be to break down in 110°F temps.
Literally all I’m talking about.

There is no cross state diagonal route where this is true.

And then I said maybe he’s from a place where he doesn’t appreciate desert because it’s green.

Then you got into cars breaking down and other nonsense.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:20 PM

7,052 posts, read 6,316,197 times
How did this go from Phoenix being hot to being stranded in the desert? Did I miss something?

Old 06-07-2018, 10:58 PM

277 posts, read 276,920 times
Quote:
I fail to see how being lost in the desert means the desert is barren?

Maybe you’re from a green place and don’t see the desert for what it is, but if you pay attention, a big chunk of Arizona is in a very unique environment and is the in the wettest desert in the world.

What route did you take anyway? The only way I could see it appearing barren would be to run west to Yuma and then straight up along the Colorado river. Otherwise you’d hit mountains and interesting plant life
Here is the deal bud, you claimed you crossed the state diagonally and went through “vast stretches of barren wasteland without even brush” and insinuated if anyone got stuck they would die (something that never happens )

This claim is unequivocally absolutely and unquestionably false as I and others have shown and said. Therefore you are ignorant or willingly being devious which is not acceptable in this forum.

Good day

Old 06-07-2018, 11:27 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,971,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Here is the deal bud, you claimed you crossed the state diagonally and went through “vast stretches of barren wasteland without even brush” and insinuated if anyone got stuck they would die (something that never happens )

This claim is unequivocally absolutely and unquestionably false as I and others have shown and said. Therefore you are ignorant or willingly being devious which is not acceptable in this forum.

Good day
I think you quoted the wrong post.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by 9162
On two occasions I drove from Las Vegas,NV to El Paso,TX driving from the northwestern tip, to the southeastern tip of AZ crossing the entire state diagonal, what I noticed is, how desolate the vast areas are away from the metro areas. When I say desolate, I mean no sign of life, no brush, no cactus, nothing but dust, highway, and extremely hot, dry scorched land. The area reminded me of what the moon would look like if it had an atmosphere. The picturesque landscape of the painted dessert was nowhere to be found in many remote areas, all I could think of is, what a horrible area it would be to break down in 110°F temps.

Quote:
Literally all I’m talking about.

And then I said maybe he’s from a place where he doesn’t appreciate desert because it’s green.

Then you got into cars breaking down and other nonsense.
Thank you for finding that quote. I really didn't want to look for it.

It still wasn't the whole state. It was only what he could see from the road .

Then ask him what highway(s) he took on that trip, and see what he says.

Hey 9162, which way did you go???

It may be interesting to see how he went. I don't think he is making it up. But I've been wrong before, lol. That first video where the girl got stranded for days was on a huge cattle ranch. 1200 sq miles, I think it said, or something insane. I don't know what those poor cattle were eating as there wasn't much out there at all. But that isn't near a busy road so idk, maybe there is more of that kind of land. It's a cool video. When I drove to Phoenix I went from Denver, Albuquerque, Flagstaff to Phoenix. The other 2 times was Mesa to Sedona twice. That's all I'm vaguely familiar with.

I can kinda agree with your next point. But I think he said he liked it, and had been to Az before.

Rofl, yes I "got into cars breaking down" because he said so in his post that you just quoted back to me. Thanks for that btw so I didn't have to look it up.

9162 said: " all I could think of is, what a horrible area it would be to break down in 110°F temps."

---------------------------------------------

Last edited by mlulu23; 06-08-2018 at 12:55 AM..

Old 06-07-2018, 11:59 PM

To make it relevant. Here is the toasty Phoenix forecast.

Thursday
0%103°74°Night - Clear. Winds variable at 4 to 7 mph (6.4 to 11.3 kph). The overnight low will be 77 °F (25.0 °C).Sunny with a high of 106 °F (41.1 °C). Winds variable at 2 to 9 mph (3.2 to 14.5 kph).
Friday
0%106°75°Sunny today with a high of 106 °F (41.1 °C) and a low of 75 °F (23.9 °C).
Saturday
0%107°80°Sunny today with a high of 107 °F (41.7 °C) and a low of 80 °F (26.7 °C).
Sunday
0%104°79°Sunny today with a high of 104 °F (40.0 °C) and a low of 79 °F (26.1 °C).
Monday
0%104°78°Sunny today with a high of 104 °F (40.0 °C) and a low of 78 °F (25.6 °C).
Tuesday
0%107°79°Mostly sunny today with a high of 107 °F (41.7 °C) and a low of 79 °F (26.1 °C).
Wednesday
0%107°85°Partly cloudy today with a high of 107 °F (41.7 °C) and a low of 85 °F (29.4 °C).
Thursday
0%104°86°Partly cloudy today with a high of 104 °F (40.0 °C) and a low of 86 °F (30.0 °C).
Friday
0%100°86°Partly cloudy today with a high of 100 °F (37.8 °C) and a low of 86 °F (30.0 °C).
Saturday
5%96°82°Partly cloudy today with a high of 96 °F (35.6 °C) and a low of 82 °F (27.8 °C).
Sun

Old 06-08-2018, 01:01 AM

Quote:
You mean this one? With two alternatives.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/las+...7!2d31.7618778

----------------------------------------------------------------

Old 06-08-2018, 09:19 AM

7,191 posts, read 9,258,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
You mean this one? With two alternatives.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/las+...7!2d31.7618778

----------------------------------------------------------------
Having driven both of the auto routes listed above I can't recall anyplace along the route where there is no life at all. The third route is flying. There are always bushes and grasses even in the most barren parts of those routes. You just have to look.

That is what this whole subthread is about. The impressions of a driver crossing Arizona. Mistaken impressions.

To tie this back to the main topic, yes, many people crossing the desert for the first time have the same impression. Pointing this out to them while crossing the desert yields a, "Pfft! That's not plant life! Not like back home."

My only response is you're not back home anymore.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:40 AM

39,093 posts, read 51,295,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
Having driven both of the auto routes listed above I can't recall anyplace along the route where there is no life at all. The third route is flying. There are always bushes and grasses even in the most barren parts of those routes. You just have to look.

That is what this whole subthread is about. The impressions of a driver crossing Arizona. Mistaken impressions.

To tie this back to the main topic, yes, many people crossing the desert for the first time have the same impression. Pointing this out to them while crossing the desert yields a, "Pfft! That's not plant life! Not like back home."

My only response is you're not back home anymore.
Unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area