Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2018, 08:15 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,298,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
He is right to a point. I was in the PMP last weekend. As soon as I got to a summit, I was swarmed with gnats, flies etc. For me it's a minor annoyance, but still annoying especially when stopped.
But it's a minor annoyance that you leave behind when you leave the mountain. In the midwest you can never escape it unless you just go inside. That's the difference.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:28 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,968,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
But it's a minor annoyance that you leave behind when you leave the mountain. In the midwest you can never escape it unless you just go inside. That's the difference.
Never once had a problem with gnats in the Midwest. Not once. Now ticks and mosquitos on the other hand...

Since moving to AZ I've traded ticks and mosquitos for flies, gnats, and... more mosquitos.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Never once had a problem with gnats in the Midwest. Not once. Now ticks and mosquitos on the other hand...

Since moving to AZ I've traded ticks and mosquitos for flies, gnats, and... more mosquitos.
Where I grew up gnats were BRUTAL. They were everywhere, all summer. You could not escape them. You'd walk out into that humid air and they would stick to you. You never wanted a drink without a lid. They'd fly i your eyes and up you nose.Add to that mosquitoes and sitting outside, especially in the evenings, was not comfortable without some OFF and citronella candles. I had tiki torches going all the time, and even then I would often give up and go inside because I was tired of swatting bugs.

There is nothing near that bad here, even in an occasional annoying swarm on a hike.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Where I grew up gnats were BRUTAL. They were everywhere, all summer. You could not escape them. You'd walk out into that humid air and they would stick to you. You never wanted a drink without a lid. They'd fly i your eyes and up you nose.Add to that mosquitoes and sitting outside, especially in the evenings, was not comfortable without some OFF and citronella candles. I had tiki torches going all the time, and even then I would often give up and go inside because I was tired of swatting bugs.

There is nothing near that bad here, even in an occasional annoying swarm on a hike.
Maybe it was an Iowa problem then. After all I was in the middle of the nations 3rd largest metropolitan area, which might have something to do with it. But all my times hiking around IL, WI, etc, I never had gnat problems. Even in the burbs most places didn't even have mosquito problems. Out in the country woods, however. UGH. Horrible. I would drown myself in Off and still was miserable swatting skeeters.

And the gnat swarms in the PHX Mts can get truly awful, trust me. You don't stop on your climb because you're instantly surrounded. When I reach the summit I have to search for a super windy spot (which ther always is one) on the mountain so I can get a little respite from their attacks. If the wind isn't strong enough to blow them away, you cant sit down because its just misery. Same with the mosquitos in summer at our current place. I don't go outside at nights any more because of the mosquitos. In the winter they still bother me, but theres a lot less of them.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Maybe it was an Iowa problem then. After all I was in the middle of the nations 3rd largest metropolitan area, which might have something to do with it. But all my times hiking around IL, WI, etc, I never had gnat problems. Even in the burbs most places didn't even have mosquito problems. Out in the country woods, however. UGH. Horrible. I would drown myself in Off and still was miserable swatting skeeters.

And the gnat swarms in the PHX Mts can get truly awful, trust me. You don't stop on your climb because you're instantly surrounded. When I reach the summit I have to search for a super windy spot (which ther always is one) on the mountain so I can get a little respite from their attacks. If the wind isn't strong enough to blow them away, you cant sit down because its just misery. Same with the mosquitos in summer at our current place. I don't go outside at nights any more because of the mosquitos. In the winter they still bother me, but theres a lot less of them.
Doesn't matter what your metro size is, bugs don't care. That's just SILLY! All you need are grass and trees. I assume the third largest metro area in the country (AKA the greatest city ever) has those things, right?

I have encountered the swarms hiking, so I can compare them from experience. But you'll keep arguing a moot point cuz that's what you do!

Once again the topic has gone waaaaaay off course here.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:44 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,737,597 times
Quote:

I find this perspective amusing, especially when I see friends hiking the Midwest, Sotuheast, and Northeast in netted masks and stocking up in gallons of deet spray, no freaking thanks. I have seen gnats here before but it’s very rarely an issue or even crosses my mind.

You don’t see netted porches here, netted pools, or hikers with netted masks on. It just doesnt compared to buggy places in wetter regions.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:53 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,745,327 times
Fascinating discussion of gnats Chicago vs Des Moines. Where is that person that uses her non-moderator persona to tell people to stay on topic?

Old 06-15-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Fascinating discussion of gnats Chicago vs Des Moines. Where is that person that uses her non-moderator persona to tell people to stay on topic?
I tried to push this back to topic a few times and completely gave up. It's impossible with weather threads. This is why, once again, I think this forum needs a "weather chat" sticky topic so the never ending weather conversation here can go on forever with no boundaries, and all be in one place instead of many single threads! The board would be a lot easier to manage for sure

Old 06-15-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Doesn't matter what your metro size is, bugs don't care. That's just SILLY! All you need are grass and trees. I assume the third largest metro area in the country (AKA the greatest city ever) has those things, right?

I have encountered the swarms hiking, so I can compare them from experience. But you'll keep arguing a moot point cuz that's what you do!

Once again the topic has gone waaaaaay off course here.
You can have all the grass and trees you want, that's not what mosquitos breed in. Mosquitos are virtually nonexistent in Chicago. I never got one bite. Ever. Do you see fans at Wrigley Field swatting at mosquitos?

And yes, my claim stands true. Some areas have problems, others do not. Like scorpions here. We had a house in the burbs which had horrible skeeter issues. We moved not even 4 miles away and they were never an issue. They were there, but nothing to be called bothersome.

Next!

Old 06-15-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I find this perspective amusing, especially when I see friends hiking the Midwest, Sotuheast, and Northeast in netted masks and stocking up in gallons of deet spray, no freaking thanks. I have seen gnats here before but it’s very rarely an issue or even crosses my mind.

You don’t see netted porches here, netted pools, or hikers with netted masks on. It just doesnt compared to buggy places in wetter regions.
In the woods of WI, the swamps of SC, etc, there are bajillions of mosquitos no doubt. Rural farmland (which most of IL is)? Never had an issue. They're there, but not armies of them descending upon you. I used to hike Waterfall Glen FP, Warrenville Grove FP, Blackwell FP, etc, and the mosquitos were a bit of a nuisance towards dusk, but not super bad. Then places like the Nachusa Grasslands or Headwaters Conservation area had no mosquitos that I ever noticed because they were open and more out towards the farmlands. I never wore any nets nor does anyone else. Now if youre camping outside in the deep northwoods of MN or WI, then yes, nets most likely will be required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area