Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2018, 03:08 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,349,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
In the woods of WI, the swamps of SC, etc, there are bajillions of mosquitos no doubt. Rural farmland (which most of IL is)? Never had an issue. They're there, but not armies of them descending upon you. I used to hike Waterfall Glen FP, Warrenville Grove FP, Blackwell FP, etc, and the mosquitos were a bit of a nuisance towards dusk, but not super bad. Then places like the Nachusa Grasslands or Headwaters Conservation area had no mosquitos that I ever noticed because they were open and more out towards the farmlands. I never wore any nets nor does anyone else. Now if youre camping outside in the deep northwoods of MN or WI, then yes, nets most likely will be required.
My parents live in rural IL (not too far from glorious Chicago, I might add) and would beg to differ, and so would I thinking about the time I have spent at their house. And it's not just mosquitoes, it's lots of other bothersome bugs that pester you all day long

Last edited by ElleTea; 06-15-2018 at 03:19 PM..

Old 06-16-2018, 02:44 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,767,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I tried to push this back to topic a few times and completely gave up. It's impossible with weather threads. This is why, once again, I think this forum needs a "weather chat" sticky topic so the never ending weather conversation here can go on forever with no boundaries, and all be in one place instead of many single threads! The board would be a lot easier to manage for sure
Yeah that’s not a bad idea, countless weather threads pop up and even threads of completely unrelated topics end up on weather quite a bit. I’d second this motion.

Old 06-16-2018, 06:16 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,509,270 times
Please visit first. It is hot. I contemplated the move myself and visited for a week. I enjoyed my stay but I quickly realized it was not for me.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:55 PM

39,169 posts, read 51,452,938 times
So today was upper 80s and dewpoint in mid-60s and I hear many say how nice and cool it was. People came out of the cocoon and were out and about. That is what a warm summer day is in the rest of the country. Normal Phoenix is simply miserable.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:46 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,999,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
So today was upper 80s and dewpoint in mid-60s and I hear many say how nice and cool it was. People came out of the cocoon and were out and about. That is what a warm summer day is in the rest of the country. Normal Phoenix is simply miserable.
It was nice until you exerted yourself even slightly.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:55 PM

4,619 posts, read 9,312,610 times
Quote:
Disagree. I was out at a baseball practice last weekend when it was 107 and dry and it was more comfortable than today for sure.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:51 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,944,407 times
Quote:

It was downright cold up here in Cottonwood today. It rained most of the day, a slight breeze and pretty dang chilly! I was sorry I didn't wear a long sleeved shirt. Not sure of the temp but doubtful is was much above 70-75. To me that's cold especially when it's wet! I didn't even mind the humidity. It felt good for a change and I love the smell of approaching rain!

I have to kind of laugh at all the posts about mosquitoes. I suggest spending a summer in Alaska and they'll never complain about lower 48 mosquitoes again! lol They aren't that big but they are prolific and come at you in HUGE swarms. I worked across the street from my apt. in Fairbanks and to get back and forth I had to walk through one of those big black swarms of mosquitoes. When you opened the apt. vestibule door they'd zoom on in and, for some reason, all the apt. doors had about an inch of space at the bottom. So they'd get in there too. I remember waking up one morning with one side of my face full of mosquito stings and 'bumps'. Ugh. I did NOT like the mosquitoes of Alaska and had plenty of experiences with them in various locations in the state. Hardly any mosquitoes here in Verde Valley but maybe a few down by the river. At least I've never had any complaints about them here and we don't seem to sell much anti mosquito stuff at Walmart. Some but not a lot and mostly to folks who are going camping.

Old 06-17-2018, 04:27 AM

274 posts, read 296,926 times
Lol at how old this forum is.

Either way, it feels like the heat is always getting worse. It's a good question why people move up here, though. For us, it was a job opportunity, but we are realizing the summers are not for us and we're Arizona natives. We've endured two Phoenix summers and we've had enough. So, moving is definitely in the plans and we hope to never return to the Phoenix area.

I can't stand how grouchy people are around here and I honestly think it's because people get so uncomfortable, hot, sweaty, and dehydrated. Water just isn't enough if you're out and get hot, you need electrolytes, too. Sometimes it feels like you're losing water faster than you can drink it.

Moving here for allergy reasons I would not suggest at all. I don't suggest the Phoenix area for anyone that has respiratory issues or allergy problems...it is miserable!

I love how people are all like, "Today was so cloudy and rainy and nice," and I have to agree, but it doesn't make up for all the other days we've had that are over 100 and all the ones coming up that will be 100 or more...yuck. Welcome summer...time to stay indoors and go stir crazy just to keep cool. I'd rather be kept inside due to cool rather than heat.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:31 AM

8,053 posts, read 12,331,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viridianforest View Post
Lol at how old this forum is.

Either way, it feels like the heat is always getting worse. It's a good question why people move up here, though. For us, it was a job opportunity, but we are realizing the summers are not for us and we're Arizona natives. We've endured two Phoenix summers and we've had enough. So, moving is definitely in the plans and we hope to never return to the Phoenix area.

I can't stand how grouchy people are around here and I honestly think it's because people get so uncomfortable, hot, sweaty, and dehydrated. Water just isn't enough if you're out and get hot, you need electrolytes, too. Sometimes it feels like you're losing water faster than you can drink it.

Moving here for allergy reasons I would not suggest at all. I don't suggest the Phoenix area for anyone that has respiratory issues or allergy problems...it is miserable!

I love how people are all like, "Today was so cloudy and rainy and nice," and I have to agree, but it doesn't make up for all the other days we've had that are over 100 and all the ones coming up that will be 100 or more...yuck. Welcome summer...time to stay indoors and go stir crazy just to keep cool. I'd rather be kept inside due to cool rather than heat.
I know exactly what you mean. The summer heat seems to become more monotonous and harder to deal with the longer you live here. What's even more discouraging is how the average temperatures have increased over the years, and it will likely keep getting even warmer ... this is largely due to the urban heat island effect, and it mainly affects evening/late night/early morning temps.

With that said, I don't agree about staying inside all summer. I purposely use my vacation days during the summer months and take periodic trips to cooler destinations, otherwise I would probably go stir crazy if I had to stay here and endure the heat. Traveling and seeing different scenery from time to time is good for you anyway. I think too many people stay here during the summer, sweating it out, or staying cooped up in a house or office doing their usual drudgery, and that's what makes them grouchy. I'd very likely be the same way if I didn't take vacations from now through August.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:59 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,999,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
It was nice until you exerted yourself even slightly.
Ill agree it was gross. I changed my battery Saturday morning and sweat buckets in that humidity. I also changed a battery last June when my phone said it was still 106 degrees at night. I sweat buckets then, too. The nice thing about Saturday when the wind picked up it actually was a cool breeze and felt great, compared to the typical June hair dryer breezes we get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area