Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 12:25 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,236,557 times

Advertisements

I've been to Minnysoda in BOTH seasons....snow and mosquitos.....I"ll take AZ/NV any ol day

Old 06-28-2011, 12:30 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,470,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
That's why I dragged down my ski's to AZ. I plan on skiing in Flagstaff!!

The ski resorts in MN are CONSTANTLY making snow. Why?? There isn't enough snow to cover the measily 250 vertical hill and it is constantly melting when the temps jump well over freezing several times in December and in February.

I need to correct you on this statement. Flagstaff gets 100" a year on average. Check this place out Upper Peninsula of Michigan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Records of 390 inches (990 cm) of snow or more have been set in many communities in this area.[20] The Keweenaw Peninsula averages more snowfall than almost anywhere in the United States—more than anywhere east of the Mississippi River and the most of all non-mountainous regions of the continental United States.[21]"

That would be 4 times more snow that Flagstaff AND it is in the Midwest! On average, it's about 2.5x more snow that Flagstaff and it's a short drive from Duluth MN.
Well thank you for proving me wrong But I mostly referring to any of the cities that claim to get a lot of snow(Minnaepolis, Chicagos). The midwest gets those freezing temps but Flagstaff gets the real snow.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:32 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,522,940 times
Did I hear correctly the forecast is for 117 this weekend? Expect some new record temperatures to be set.

I guess this is what it takes to get the monsoon season started, I am wishing for some nice rainstorms in the coming weeks.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:08 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,703,339 times
Here's another thing to consider. Many people move to a place like Phoenix because they want to escape their former city that has four seasons. They want to escape snow and cold weather thinking that Phoenix will be better for them. The truth is that these people are trading one thing and getting another thing. In Phoenix you don't have snow but you have blazing hot sun and temperatures that can fry a dog's or cat's feet they are so hot. So the desert heat isn't necessarily better like many people believe it is. The dryness of the desert can also make your skin dry out and crack and your nose can bleed too. Plus, the dry air is NOT good for your hair and nails. In Phoenix you are going to get hot weather starting in April and it may not end until November. In fact , it is not unusual to see 95 degree weather in Phoenix in April. If I could get a nickel for every time someone mentioned that they are tired of the cold weather in_________ fill in the blank and they want to move to a warm weather place like Phoenix, I'd be rich by now! I am not criticizing Phoenix or AZ as I think AZ is pretty in some parts but I'm just stating the obvious here. 110F and dry is starting to get dangerously hot. You have to start replacing fluids once it hits 85-86 degrees IMO because even that temperature can cause you to sweat if you walk long distances. Once it hits the low 90s then you really have to drink that water or else its goodbye. Point is that people should really think before they make a move to Phoenix.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:00 PM

9,914 posts, read 11,304,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I've been to Minnysoda in BOTH seasons....snow and mosquitos.....I"ll take AZ/NV any ol day

That's like me saying LV boils down to smog, unemployment, and tumble weeds. After all, "I've been in LV in BOTH seasons".

Old 07-01-2011, 09:49 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,366,986 times
Some people just want to see sunshine. There are a lot of places in this country that are overcast even if it doesn't rain a lot there. Having that clear bright blue sky with sunlight and puffy clouds with the mountains and open space in the background is very unique and uplifting. That's what draws a lot of people to AZ.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:08 AM

9,914 posts, read 11,304,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Some people just want to see sunshine. There are a lot of places in this country that are overcast even if it doesn't rain a lot there. Having that clear bright blue sky with sunlight and puffy clouds with the mountains and open space in the background is very unique and uplifting. That's what draws a lot of people to AZ.
Amen.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:38 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,522,940 times
Quote:
Agree to some extent.

Any kind of weather can become tiresome after a long while though, including sunny and clear with no rain for extensive periods, which is common in Phoenix.

Ongoing heat for several months with no break from it becomes especially hard to deal with, dry or not.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:25 PM

51 posts, read 118,553 times
Quote:
This exactly.

Detroit was so...dreary. I didn't even want to open the blinds on my windows because I knew what I'd find.

Because of the nature of the life I've made (I work from home and attend grad school online, from home), I don't leave my house any more here in AZ than I did in MI. However, I've found that when I DO leave my house I feel much more fulfilled with my surroundings (not to mention I can open my blinds and get doused with sunshine!).

The heat is what it is. I can spend about an hour out in this 110+ heat before needing to go back in the AC. I'd prefer it down somewhere near 95-100, but I still feel fortunate for the warmth. I'm actually looking forward to a day or two of light flurries that may be here in Phoenix in the winter...it won't stick, I won't have to scrape it off of my car, and I'll actually be able to enjoy it without getting frostbite!!

Old 07-01-2011, 08:28 PM

295 posts, read 555,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Did I hear correctly the forecast is for 117 this weekend? Expect some new record temperatures to be set.

I guess this is what it takes to get the monsoon season started, I am wishing for some nice rainstorms in the coming weeks.
Hopefully it's on it's way. It's a real struggle when it's 117 and high humidity. Unfortunately it's only the 1st of July, which means we have a long ways to go ahead of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area