Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2011, 09:16 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,793,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAirConcerns View Post
Hopefully it's on it's way. It's a real struggle when it's 117 and high humidity. Unfortunately it's only the 1st of July, which means we have a long ways to go ahead of us.
The heat doesn't bother me. Even if it's humid.

The few humid days we have here are a walk in the park compared to the humid summers in other parts of the country.

So we have a few days of high humidity; but we also have rain during that time.

Then we get to look forward to a very
  • beautiful Fall season, followed by a
  • mild Winter, then a
  • beautiful Spring, and
  • warm Summer with a
  • few Hot days, a
  • few Humid days, and then
  • the cycle of wonderful Phoenix valley weather begins all over again.
LIFE IS GOOD

Old 07-03-2011, 12:08 PM

711 posts, read 1,858,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
So we have a few days of high humidity; but we also have rain during that time.
That would equally describe Florida (high humidity, and daily heavy rain in the summer). The rain just makes the humidity worse since the heat evaporates it immediately after it stops.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:03 PM

190 posts, read 450,172 times
I'm not liking the heat and I thought I would. I came from an extremely spoiled vantage point though in perfect temps - 65-75 year round. What I'm struggling with is that I'm not at a job - so I'm home - and going out in the day is just ridiculous. Meaning not worth the effort to get into hot car travel to other hot places and drive home - sweaty and tired - and all I did was run a couple errands. So then I stay in to avoid all that - and I'm stir crazy - feel trapped indoors with expensive AC running all dang day and fans whipping around the ceiling... It is not impossible - but I wouldn't call it a pleasant way to live at all --- in sub zero temps I can suit up and move about to get warm or go for a snowmobile ride.... In 110+ temps here - I'm too old to wear skimpy clothes - and I wouldn't do that to anyone anyway lol...... There's no 'feel better' remedy when you are living in the heat aside from escaping in 'indoors' -- I'm getting anti - indoors it seems......... I mean I do go for walks at night after 8:30 pm.......still hot - but not ridiculous with sun beating down in addition to it being hot. I'm trying to adjust and just be patient........trying to live as if the heat weren't there at all ..... trying to do mind games to distract from it --- in the end - it's just too bleepin' hot outside!

Old 07-03-2011, 04:04 PM

46 posts, read 139,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloCoChef View Post
I'm not liking the heat and I thought I would. I came from an extremely spoiled vantage point though in perfect temps - 65-75 year round. What I'm struggling with is that I'm not at a job - so I'm home - and going out in the day is just ridiculous. Meaning not worth the effort to get into hot car travel to other hot places and drive home - sweaty and tired - and all I did was run a couple errands. So then I stay in to avoid all that - and I'm stir crazy - feel trapped indoors with expensive AC running all dang day and fans whipping around the ceiling... It is not impossible - but I wouldn't call it a pleasant way to live at all --- in sub zero temps I can suit up and move about to get warm or go for a snowmobile ride.... In 110+ temps here - I'm too old to wear skimpy clothes - and I wouldn't do that to anyone anyway lol...... There's no 'feel better' remedy when you are living in the heat aside from escaping in 'indoors' -- I'm getting anti - indoors it seems......... I mean I do go for walks at night after 8:30 pm.......still hot - but not ridiculous with sun beating down in addition to it being hot. I'm trying to adjust and just be patient........trying to live as if the heat weren't there at all ..... trying to do mind games to distract from it --- in the end - it's just too bleepin' hot outside!
Even though some people say they love the heat the majority of people here that I know just get through it like they do any place with a harsh winter. Everyone tells their extreme heat stories and jokes. They stay inside, do their shopping late after the sun goes down and enjoy water activities. If given the choice of the two extremes the ones who choose the heat like that extreme better. The ones who choose the cold like that extreme better and are in the cold country. We have extreme hikers here in the summer which I find crazy and they have extreme people wearing shorts in a MN blizzard as well, I find them equally crazy. People deal mainly with extremes because it's cheaper. It's a sacrifice and they learn to find good things about either extreme so they don't dwell on the negatives.
I can see it being a hard transition for someone from Southern Cal because you have a lack of either extreme. If SOCAL was cheap then I'm sure most would be there, the cost is SOCALS extreme I guess. Weeds out people who don't have money. All I can say is do as your doing, we all do it to some degree give or take our tolerance, nobody likes 105 or above unless they are in the AC or having fun pool side. It ends and we have great weather during the other extreme and we all climb out of our holes and get on with our lives. Make sure you take a vit. D just like people do in cold climates, exercise and make it a good time to read or clean or do what ever you do to pass the time until it ends.
I put off good books until summer then read them instead of going out. That way I'm almost happy for the time. I have a pool as well which makes summer more enjoyable. I also look forward to the monsoon storms which have a brilliant display of electricity.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:38 PM

190 posts, read 450,172 times
Yes - good post ... Makes perfect sense.... I could be busy inside here cleaning etc... instead of bellyaching LOL.... I was a Central Coast person - not southern - but same deal - small homes that are affordable in this area went for about 319K - my friends parents dumped a ton of money into their bank account to have it happen for them.... I don't have that luxury - so hopped on over here...

I haven't had the best luck in buying - deals falling through etc... so I just keep getting my CA realtors selections per email - just in case something incredible comes along. But you have to be prepared for not much to do -- SLO County is SLOW county .... literally.

The heat may be a small price to pay for the options available here in pretty AZ.... I used to drive 40 min. to get to a Target.... Gosh who knows how many I'd pass in a 40 mile search here! Shopping is fantastic, the beauty of the area is fantastic, the ability to drive to the Grand Canyon and other pretty areas - and afford to stay there awhile. Having a pool is a must on my list though to live here - an absolute must. Sparkling pool for exercise - sweet! Then there's the Mayo Clinic here - and a ton of stuff I haven't explored yet.

I LOVE storms - was here by chance last year when that one took a chunk off the Mayo Clinic Hosptial building - I saw it in the air - said to myself 'that's a white tornado' - decided against a photo and dove into my hotel room - turned on the news and a short amount of time later - there was the 'damage' - on the same floor my sleep study was to be on the next day LOL....

After that I went home and y'all had the infamous short but damaging hail storm...

Went to Arizona Mills the other night for a diversion -- kinda fun! I thnk I'll adjust - I've adjusted to worse things.... Now to find that elusive house!

Old 07-03-2011, 04:48 PM

6,751 posts, read 6,756,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
This is not meant to be sarcastic at all, but a real question: If it is so gawdawful hot there--and I really have never been there but am interested--why do so many move there?
It's July, 93 and Humid in DC, and I'm still dreading winter. Would gladly trade more heat now for no snow 6 months from now.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:01 PM

105 posts, read 326,455 times
When its 110 and you add even the SLIGHTEST amount of humidity its worse than all these ppl from back east or the midwest saying its not.......its just as big of a load of hot air(pun)........I grew up in Indiana where it was humid.......and spent much of my adult life in west Texas......I almost choked and coughed up a lung at 7 in the morn today.........I love Phx....but the heat is brutal and more so when even the slightest amount of humidity is added.......In Indiana I grew up with the cold......and I'd take cold any day of the year.........I thought West Texas summers were bad......not even close.....

Old 07-03-2011, 09:11 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,339,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
It's July, 93 and Humid in DC, and I'm still dreading winter. Would gladly trade more heat now for no snow 6 months from now.
I used to live in our nation's capital and my assessment is: 100 deg. in DC makes 100 deg. in AZ seem quite pleasant. I still have bad dreams about riding a bus to work in DC in August ... wearing pantyhose and high heels.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,794 times
hot and flies
but a lot of must see

Old 07-04-2011, 06:15 AM

6,407 posts, read 9,004,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowHeavyGroove View Post
When its 110 and you add even the SLIGHTEST amount of humidity its worse than all these ppl from back east or the midwest saying its not.......its just as big of a load of hot air(pun)........I grew up in Indiana where it was humid.......and spent much of my adult life in west Texas......I almost choked and coughed up a lung at 7 in the morn today.........I love Phx....but the heat is brutal and more so when even the slightest amount of humidity is added.......In Indiana I grew up with the cold......and I'd take cold any day of the year.........I thought West Texas summers were bad......not even close.....
I'm from Michigan and disagree with you 100%. My old man (visiting right now) disagrees too. The weather here is fantastic and I'd rather deal with this heat than midwest humidity and having to unearth my driveway every winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area