Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2011, 01:33 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeSafetyQuestions View Post
It can be truly painful during monsoon season. After the rain, the humidity is near 100% and the temperature remains above 100F. There's a reason why people say summers are 7 months long here.
"Painful?" Puh-lease. The humidity in Phoenix is never near 100%. People who say our summers are 7 months long are ill-informed.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:55 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
"Painful?" Puh-lease. The humidity in Phoenix is never near 100%.
Please "don't shoot the messenger",.........but:
........never say NEVER...............just to keep the record straight: according to NOAA/NWS records...........The record highest HUMIDITY for Phoenix was recorded on 12/28/2007.........yep: 100%

Old 07-09-2011, 03:34 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
........never say NEVER...............just to keep the record straight: according to NOAA/NWS records...........The record highest HUMIDITY for Phoenix was recorded on 12/28/2007.........yep: 100%
Notice the date-- DECEMBER. Some of the winter storms have been very wet, and yes, the air does get saturated, because it's MUCH COOLER in December. It's a lot easier to get to 100 percent then, if we're in the middle of one of those wet storms and it's still raining. We get heavy fog in areas around the Valley when those wet storms clear. Such humidity readings NEVER happen after, or even in, the summer storms.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:49 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeSafetyQuestions View Post
It can be truly painful during monsoon season. After the rain, the humidity is near 100% and the temperature remains above 100F. There's a reason why people say summers are 7 months long here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
"Painful?" Puh-lease. The humidity in Phoenix is never near 100%. People who say our summers are 7 months long are ill-informed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Hey, Griz, always happy to accept documented facts as opposed to hysterical and unfounded declarations. However, I don't think your example speaks to the string of nonsense I was responding to.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:13 PM

5 posts, read 14,376 times
i dont have to shovel heat, it is "nice" at night. i use to mountain bike at 4 am in the summer it was great. I talk to my mom in december and she tells me she got another foot of snow or it has rained and been cloudy for days. that is why i stay in phx. the heat is not bad till it is above 100 or humid. that is about 2 months of the year

Old 07-09-2011, 10:35 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
I actually think the heat is over played a bit. A lot of people come here because they enjoy other things like open spaces, dryer air, and newer neighborhoods and shops. There is a different feel to the Southwest than other parts of the country. The heat is just one extreme that gets picked on. I'm sure that there are other things to say MN or Maine as well but most people remark on their extreme winters as if it's a deal breaker. For some who take weather into account as a serious issue than I would consider thinking about our heat but for the majority there are certainly more important factors like jobs, recreation and affordable housing. Heat is dealt with and some deal with extreme summers better than extreme winters. Depends on what makes life enjoyable for you. If avoiding any place hot is on that list then I would consider Phoenix summers would break the deal. If not than you might enjoy them, they are nice to swim in and as the old saying goes they take less physical labor than snowy winters.

Last edited by PoppySead; 07-09-2011 at 10:36 PM.. Reason: spelling mistake

Old 07-13-2011, 01:57 PM

18 posts, read 39,954 times
We live here because it is beautiful! The heat is relative. If you stay in air conditioning, it's not that big a deal. Days like today where it is only 104 degrees, with low humidity in mid-July are wonderful! You can usually go outside in the evenings. Heck - we even get in our hot tub in the summer! We don't have many bugs, so you don't have to worry about pests when you are enjoying outdoor life. And if it is hot 5 months out of the year, it's a small price to pay for the other gorgeous 7 months! Since there has been a lot of growth in the past decade, much of the suburbs are new and not run down, and the cost of living is very affordable. We have very few natural disasters (earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes are pretty much non-existent). It's a great place to live!

Old 07-13-2011, 02:15 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
it's significantly cooler after a monsoon storm when the humidity will be the highest .... as the storm passes and temps kick up again the humidity will drop back to normal levels for the season

you don't get both at the same time though - the mechanics of the season just don't allow for maximum heat at the same time of maximum humidity that accompanies an actual storm

Old 07-13-2011, 02:19 PM

874 posts, read 1,648,800 times
Probably because of the obvious: jobs. Yet some people might like the city, it's climate, etc.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:55 PM

121 posts, read 342,237 times
Isn't it obvious? It's a DRY HEAT!! It's not like South Florida (or, for that matter, ANYWHERE in FL), where you don't take your clothes off to take a shower, you PEEL them off.
Anyway, Phoenix is not a great city to live in by any means. People move here because it's sunny and warm most of the time, jobs, relatively cheap to live here. But there's nothing great about Phoenix at all. I could go on and on and on. San Diego here I come - expensive or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area