Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2015, 05:58 PM

226 posts, read 227,613 times

Advertisements

If Minneapolis is so cold, why do so many people live there?

Old 05-05-2015, 06:01 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,973,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade007 View Post
If Minneapolis is so cold, why do so many people live there?
Minneapolis is only cold for 4-5 months of the year. Phoenix bakes a good 8 or 9.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:03 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,973,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Yes, but their heat is a wave and ours is a season. And, the dewpoint out by me is 70 this morning, there is little chance of rain today. It's just miserable here, there and everywhere this summer. Our advantage is that we are prepared for and know how to live with this kind of heat.
Yeah I find it funny when people try to argue Arizona has mild summers compared to back East. I know humidity sucks, but seriously? You can't compare ANYWHERE back east to Arizona, not even Miami in terms of oppressive heat.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:31 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,505,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Minneapolis is only cold for 4-5 months of the year. Phoenix bakes a good 8 or 9.
Minneapolis or anywhere else in the midwest has high humidity in the summertime which makes it feel worse, it may not get to 110 in July like it does here but at least it's dry most of the time.

In addition the air is often thick with bugs, mosquitoes are a problem in Minnesota and in Michigan where I'm from.

Phoenix heat is nothing to boast about, I don't like it here in the summertime but to some of us it's a tradeoff, put up with three or four months of blistering heat or three or four months of sub-freezing weather, icestorms, and heavy snow.

At least we don't have to shovel heat or scrape heat off our windshields, and things don't come to a total standstill when it's 110-115 here.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:58 PM

545 posts, read 1,486,415 times
Quote:
Phoenix bakes a good 8 or 9.
8 or 9?

Old 05-05-2015, 09:13 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,342,524 times
Quote:
Phoenix bakes a good 8 or 9.
I see you've never lived here.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:41 PM

11 posts, read 12,633 times
People tend to over stretch the truth here in defense of Phoenix but lets be honest, we may have a dry heat spell in the early part of summer and in the end of it but the humidity is here as well during the monsoon season and yes, we have mosquitoes. Don't kid yourself, heat is heat. Five months of hot summer weather and seven months of nice weather.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:58 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,505,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali4u View Post
People tend to over stretch the truth here in defense of Phoenix but lets be honest, we may have a dry heat spell in the early part of summer and in the end of it but the humidity is here as well during the monsoon season and yes, we have mosquitoes. Don't kid yourself, heat is heat. Five months of hot summer weather and seven months of nice weather.
The horrible heat is usually just three or four months here, June, July, August are the worst, and sometimes September can be just as hot.

The rest of the year is pretty darn nice.

The only time I ever experienced mosquitoes here was last year after those heavy rainstorms that caused flooding.

In no way am I defending the Phoenix heat, I dread summertime as much as anyone else but it's a matter of taking the bitter with the sweet.

I'll easily deal with a Phoenix summer over a Minnesota or Michigan winter.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:03 PM

44,646 posts, read 61,677,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
The horrible heat is usually just three or four months here, June, July, August are the worst, and sometimes September can be just as hot.

The rest of the year is pretty darn nice.

The only time I ever experienced mosquitoes here was last year after those heavy rainstorms that caused flooding.

In no way am I defending the Phoenix heat, I dread summertime as much as anyone else but it's a matter of taking the bitter with the sweet.

I'll easily deal with a Phoenix summer over a Minnesota or Michigan winter.
Phoenix has generally 9 months good to great weather, 3 months hot.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:13 PM

140 posts, read 174,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali4u View Post
When is the humidity here? Dec looks to be highest avg: Humidity Averages for Arizona in December - Current Results

and Phoenix is lower than all of these cities: Relative Humidity in December at US Cities - Current Results
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area