Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2015, 08:14 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,407,043 times

Advertisements

Moderate climates are best.. middle east coast, near the ocean shore or middle west coast along the ocean shores.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:45 PM

18 posts, read 20,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrylimeade View Post
Nicely put. In Minnesota we're cooped up indoors half the year or else we have to suit up in layers of clothes to go anywhere. Need a gallon of milk in January? Boots on, sweater, warm pants, socks, hat, gloves, down-filled coat (wool won't cut it), and unless you get a remote starter and remember to start your car ten minutes ahead of time, you still freeze your face off. Wrap your face in a scarf and your breath condenses on your eyelashes and turns into ice droplets (seriously; for those not used to upper Midwest winters, I'm not kidding). We came out to Phoenix in February and it was a revelation. The world is your living room. Sandals on? Check! Go.
Absolute truth. I've lived in Minnesota and North Dakota all my life (I'm 53) and can't wait to leave. Hoping to be in the Phoenix area in the next 3-4 months. On top of all the reasons above, I don't have to winterize my Camaro or motorcycle anymore and can drive the Camaro anytime I want. The motorcycle probably not in the dead of summer unless its at night or very early morning.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:49 PM

755 posts, read 1,119,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
Moderate climates are best.. middle east coast, near the ocean shore or middle west coast along the ocean shores.
Yes, moderate climates are best for those who like moderate climates. And hot climates are best for those who love the heat . There are even those who really actually love winter weather! (I like -ish a little bit of winter, but I can certainly live without it. Forever, if need be, happily.)

I love the beach but find most coastal areas in California and all in Oregon/Washington far too chilly most of the year. I love most of the Atlantic coast (directly on/near the beach where there's a breeze and the air feels drier) during the summer months. So the dream of a beach home year round for me is probably far fetched in terms of how often I would want to be there--in addition to the financial considerations. Even if we had my dream home at the beach for the summer, I would likely come running back to Phoenix for the rest of the year. The pool is an adequate stand-in for a beach most of the time. My back yard is tropical, appealing, and inviting.

In Phoenix the heat of the sun envelopes you. For some that's a downside, for me it's perfect to just feel perfectly warm all the time without the stickiness and damp of Florida nor the breezy chill of San Diego.

ETA: I understand that for others Phoenix has appeal in spite of the weather, as the OP suggests...For me it is the beauty of the desert, and the open, friendly, casual, live-and-let-live attitude that I find specific to the American west where I have spent my life. That's a comfortable atmosphere for me, weather aside.

Last edited by Montanama; 05-08-2015 at 07:58 PM..

Old 05-08-2015, 08:02 PM

363 posts, read 930,412 times
Didn't read 38 pages of reasons why people move to Arizona... but we looked at how far our dollar will reach as far as real estate and property taxes went back in 2011. It was Vegas, Phoenix, Atlanta or a couple of Florida cities. When one retires, the most important thing is to be able to actually survive without added hardships. I guess Phoenix was the winner for us.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:46 PM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matyoka View Post
Didn't read 38 pages of reasons why people move to Arizona... but we looked at how far our dollar will reach as far as real estate and property taxes went back in 2011. It was Vegas, Phoenix, Atlanta or a couple of Florida cities. When one retires, the most important thing is to be able to actually survive without added hardships. I guess Phoenix was the winner for us.
I don't understand why people retire in Phoenix. I am crossing the Rubicon into Medicareland myself here very, very shortly and I think this (and the others you name) would be a lousy place to live. I have lived here for my entire adult life, so I suppose that is part of it, but the traffic, congestion, people everywhere, the heat, the hassles of city life that go along with a place like Phoenix seem like a price tag too high. Why not Sierra Vista or Benson or someplace where the sun shines but the world is not on fire much of the year and the pace is more measured?

I probably won't be moving as I am trapped by debt and family ties, but if I could I surely would.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:13 PM

I am 45, retired at 43... Does that make more sense?

Old 05-08-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I don't understand why people retire in Phoenix. I am crossing the Rubicon into Medicareland myself here very, very shortly and I think this (and the others you name) would be a lousy place to live. I have lived here for my entire adult life, so I suppose that is part of it, but the traffic, congestion, people everywhere, the heat, the hassles of city life that go along with a place like Phoenix seem like a price tag too high. Why not Sierra Vista or Benson or someplace where the sun shines but the world is not on fire much of the year and the pace is more measured?

I probably won't be moving as I am trapped by debt and family ties, but if I could I surely would.
My mom pays $6,000 a year in property taxes for her 1200 sqft home in Somerset, NJ. During my Fed career I lived in many places including New Jersey and I couldn't wait to get out... As far as hassles of Phoenix city life, I don't believe I visited downtown more than 2 times in 2 years and 1 of them was for jury duty

Old 05-08-2015, 09:27 PM

872 posts, read 1,000,850 times
If San Diego is so nice and temperate, why don't MORE people live there? Every city has pros and cons and sometimes the pros can outweigh the cons for some people. Plus the fact that people can drive to a cooler location that isn't too far in the summer. Taxes, cost of living and winter are probably the top reasons why people are leaving states like New York, Illinois and the New England states. You can't shovel sunshine and heat

Old 05-08-2015, 09:48 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,568,238 times
You ease into the heat if you live there. I spent most of my life on the Gulf coast and by late July, I was complaining about the 101 heat with 85% humidity, but it didn't stop me from going about my life.

...And then I moved to California and we have a gloomy June with cool gray weather. I visited home (Houston) in early July for a week and I was physically ill after the first day. I spent the rest of the trip indoors between 9am and 7pm and couldn't wait to get back to California.

But I'd move to an Arizona climate and do ok, so long as I moved there in March and eased into the summer transition.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:37 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,182,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
This is not meant to be sarcastic at all, but a real question: If it is so gawdawful hot there--and I really have never been there but am interested--why do so many move there? It seems folks there are stuck in the air conditioning for 4-5 months of the year. Can someone clarify this for me?
I'm seriously looking to move there because there are so many baby boomers there, but people in the Midwest keep telling me how hot it is there and that I will not like it.
The Phoenix region surely has to be better for my allergies than Houston was where I had cold-like symptoms way more than I ever should have had.
But, if people are getting stuck living in their homes for 4-5 months of the year due to the heat, that's just like living in Chicago where folks get stuck in the house for 4-5 months of the year due to the chilling cold. Dang!
Realistically, home air-conditioning and car air-condition took out the major disadvantages of our local climate. After both were invented and affordable the population explosion the valley set in, around 1950 or so. Home and car heating were around for longer so the colder areas became livable and were settled first. But today it does not make a difference IMO. You either have a the inside season in the cold winter or in the hot summer. If anything it's better here because at least in New York summer's can be very uncomfortable for about 3 months on top of 5 winter months. Here in Phoenix you have at least 6 months guaranteed comfortable. The only places with real upside are like San Diego with nice climate almost year-round but they are very far and few in between and very expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area