Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2016, 12:47 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,720,385 times

Advertisements

A lot of 80s down there. 80 goes from Benson to Tombstone and Bisbee. 83 is what you take from Vail south to Sonoita and then you turn on 82 in Sonoita to head towards Patagonia and Nogales.

Old 06-25-2016, 06:54 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,731,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tla921 View Post
We just got back from 4 days in Arizona (flew in/out of Phoenix). Coming from a hot & humid environment we were interested to see what "dry" heat feels like. On any given summer day here it can be 95 with 50% humidity and feel like 110'ish. After feeling 110 with low humidity that supposedly felt cooler, I'll take the humidity. I'm sure it's all about what you are used to, but damn, I just didn't like it. And to be honest, it surprised me, I just knew that I was gonna like the heat. Last night we were outside after dinner and it felt like a hair dryer blowing on us. Just crazy....not to mention seeing the dust storm off in the distance that I thought was a rainstorm.

We had actually put Phoenix on the "possible retirement location" list, it's no longer on the list (which I'm sure is good news for folks that are tired of transplants ).
You are right, it is about what one is used to. The heat here is vastly different from back east. Not sure which one I prefer yet because both are hot. It is good you guys came and experienced it for yourself and now you know it is not the right fit for you.

Good luck with your search.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:38 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,971,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Oh, no....

It is not a hat, coat and gloves, that won't do sh*t for a real cold weather city. I'm talking a base layer underneath your pants, something like under armour. After that I would put on 100% wool socks, which are quite thick, I needed to pack an extra pair of regular socks to change into after I got to the office. Under my work shirt I needed a base layer as well, again under armour type of material works great. Then 1 or 2 layers above that. You're also forgetting a scarf and eye protection, my eyes would literally water from the cold wind blasting in my face.

This is not a 30 second process as it involves doing things before you leave and again when you get to the office and again when you leave for the evening. It gets very old after a few months.

When I was going out for a hike, bike ride or run the layers were even more ridiculous then this and I still nearly got frost bite on more than 1 occasion.

Sure, maybe I could get it down to 10-15 minutes on good days but it's not a 30 second process.
I lived in Chicago, which is absolutely frigid from December til March. I never put on layers unless I was going to be out hiking or sledding with the kids. For work it was my pea coat, my hat, and leather gloves if it was cold enough out. I guess my blood was more tolerant of cold than yours?

Old 06-27-2016, 10:47 AM

226 posts, read 227,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
5 people have died this month that I know of from the heat , 4 were hikers last weekend
Moral of the story: Don't go hiking in the middle of the day!!!

Old 06-27-2016, 11:44 AM

277 posts, read 430,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Upstate NY was where I was from, and it truly was winter there from Nov-Mar. To quote Bill Murray "I got a prediction, it's going to be cold, it's going to be grey, and it's going to last the rest of your life"

Normal highs in Rochester were 49 or less from Nov 10-Mar 31, bottoming out at 29 in January, and Nov and Dec only get 25% possible sun, and 100" of snow per winter!
My Hubby grew up in Syracuse and I'm from Minnesota. Ground never thawed til the 1st of May. I love the change of seasons, but when one gets older it is a pain to pay someone to remove snow that's several feet deep.

We are in New River, and mi-June through mid-September is Hades but the rest of the year is gorgeous ! We are considering Prescott, but are concerned about the reports of pollution from wood burning stoves and no regulation about people burning trash and garbage in their yard. The humidity is considerably higher in Prescott, but the temps are about 10 degrees on average cooler than New River, and we are about 8-11º cooler than Phoenix.

The only perfect climate is coastal California.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:38 PM

13,284 posts, read 7,334,621 times
Nice day today for all you heat lovers 110F 22% humidity. Heat index is 108 probably the highest in the nation today. This is when you ask what happend to the dry heat everyone talks about LOL

Old 06-27-2016, 06:19 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,826,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Nice day today for all you heat lovers 110F 22% humidity. Heat index is 108 probably the highest in the nation today. This is when you ask what happend to the dry heat everyone talks about LOL
Monsoon season is starting...

Old 06-27-2016, 06:31 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,302,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
This is still a dry heat.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:42 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,627,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCat View Post
My Hubby grew up in Syracuse and I'm from Minnesota. Ground never thawed til the 1st of May. I love the change of seasons, but when one gets older it is a pain to pay someone to remove snow that's several feet deep.

We are in New River, and mi-June through mid-September is Hades but the rest of the year is gorgeous ! We are considering Prescott, but are concerned about the reports of pollution from wood burning stoves and no regulation about people burning trash and garbage in their yard. The humidity is considerably higher in Prescott, but the temps are about 10 degrees on average cooler than New River, and we are about 8-11º cooler than Phoenix.

The only perfect climate is coastal California.
You should consider Nogales, prob the most moderate climate in AZ, almost as warm as Phoenix in the winter, and they still have palm trees, but about the same as Payson in the summer (10-15° cooler than Phoenix)

Old 06-27-2016, 06:55 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,102,435 times
some of y'all are just crazy lol! Posters like elletea could prob be out in 122 degree weather sippin on a cold drink & be fine lol. Love the desert sw but it def depends what ones used to.

coming from a humid climate, would prefer 95-100 degree (humid but also gets dry) weather in San Antonio over anything 106+ in phx. Especially at night as it feels cooler than the oven like temps at 10pm.

At the same time, I would prefer 100 degrees in phx than 89 Houston summer humidity. Just different breaking points for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area