Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2016, 08:39 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,988,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post

It takes some getting used to but I would say Phoenix summers are still a lot more enjoyable than cloudy, gray midwest/east coast winters.
I used to think that, too, but lately Im not so sure. People here LOVE when its cloudy and cool out, as the constant sun and heat wears people out. I guess Im saying that you should be thankful for the variety of weather you have up there. Seriously.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:49 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,110,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I used to think that, too, but lately Im not so sure. People here LOVE when its cloudy and cool out, as the constant sun and heat wears people out. I guess Im saying that you should be thankful for the variety of weather you have up there. Seriously.
I could see that, going through winter makes you appreciate summer/spring more. However, the grey days up north also get tiring as you go months with out seeing the sun and it gets dark at 5pm.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:51 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,481,782 times
Quote:
This is my perspective as a recent visitor to the PHX area (Scottsdale and Tempe principally).

The summer in Phoenix is kind of like the winter in the midwest/northeast. By that I mean people tend to stay in doors more and it's not considered the best time of year weather wise. That being said I was able to enjoy the pool, sip on happy hour drinks on a patio, hike Camelback, walk to Fashion Square mall and Old Town Scottsdale in the height of the heat (reached 118 a few days I was there). You just need to be smart about staying hydrated, know your limit in the sun and only be outside for an hour or two at a time. Also as cliche as it is dry heat feels a lot better than the humidity we have out east. I would say 100 degrees in Phoenix feels about the same as 85-90 degrees in areas with high humidity.

It takes some getting used to but I would say Phoenix summers are still a lot more enjoyable than cloudy, gray midwest/east coast winters.
You are a brave man

Old 06-20-2016, 10:54 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,110,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
You are a brave man
The navy seal with a baby strapped to his back ahead of me was much braver haha

Old 06-20-2016, 11:59 AM

926 posts, read 756,823 times
Quote:
I could see that, going through winter makes you appreciate summer/spring more. However, the grey days up north also get tiring as you go months with out seeing the sun and it gets dark at 5pm.
Understandable! As much as I'm NOT a "sun worshipper", at the same time, I don't think I'd enjoy constant grey days and darkness, either.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I lived in the Midwest, and its never gray "for months". Sure, the winter months are the cloudiest, but they still average 45-50% sunshine. Its a lot less than the summer months, but its not Seattle.

And I agree, seeing spring and summer roll around was amazing. Here, we dont get that. Here we dread summer, and its so odd to see all the tv commercials of people out on the boat docks, etc, celebrating summer, while its 120-degrees out here and people are dying.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:53 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,308,541 times
Quote:
Here we dread summer, and its so odd to see all the tv commercials of people out on the boat docks, etc, celebrating summer, while its 120-degrees out here and people are dying.
To each his own, but the ones who are out in this excessive heat are purely ignorant, and they deserve what they get. Thankfully, I'm gone during much of the summer, and I have another trip planned for next week, and other one in July. The best way to beat the Phoenix heat is LEAVE! There are many cooler locations within less than a day's drive that are 30+ degrees cooler than here.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
To each his own, but the ones who are out in this excessive heat are purely ignorant, and they deserve what they get. Thankfully, I'm gone during much of the summer, and I have another trip planned for next week, and other one in July. The best way to beat the Phoenix heat is LEAVE! There are many cooler locations within less than a day's drive that are 30+ degrees cooler than here.
2 weeks ago during our first heat wave, I did Sedona on Friday, and the GC on Saturday. When we rolled into Flag to get gas, it was 71 degrees. Felt. So. Awesome.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:52 PM

594 posts, read 701,038 times
Default I could never tire of SUNSHINE

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER.
Plants wither and shrink without the sun. The entire earth needs the sun.If you asked 100 people, sun, no sun, 98 would say more sun. The other 2 would be on City-Data trying to convince the other 98 that we're some how get tired of Sunshine.
In the words of that great super group from overseas....." Sun, sun sun........here comes the SUN "

Old 06-20-2016, 08:06 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,676,217 times
Quote:
I lived in the Midwest, and its never gray "for months". Sure, the winter months are the cloudiest, but they still average 45-50% sunshine. Its a lot less than the summer months, but its not Seattle.

And I agree, seeing spring and summer roll around was amazing. Here, we dont get that. Here we dread summer, and its so odd to see all the tv commercials of people out on the boat docks, etc, celebrating summer, while its 120-degrees out here and people are dying.
Not everyone dreads summer here, and I was working construction here during June 2008 when we had that 10 day plus stretch of highs 110-115, so I truly know what it's like to experience our heat, I'll still take it over the 5 month winters from back east
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area