Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2016, 11:21 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,725,165 times

Advertisements

For retirees...there is a reason they leave in April. The way I see it...PHX is a place to work in order to retire to a much better climate out west. There is a reason home prices are way higher in Prescott , Flagstaff and coastal CA for a comparable home in PHX.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:01 AM

522 posts, read 696,592 times
With air conditioning it's not that hard; you just have to stay inside most days and plan ahead a bit more when traveling outside.

Old 06-14-2016, 03:11 AM

394 posts, read 343,805 times
Many of the posts referring to parts of CA being a preferred choice if not for cost - are missing the primary reason many of us move from there... Legislative buffoonery is ruining the state (an entire thread could be dedicated to the multitudes of reasons, but there are other forums with boatloads of examples)... That coupled with extreme traffic, complete over-crowded metro (and even distant suburbs) make it a hell hole regardless of cost.

Phoenix is shangri-la in comparison. And the difference in weather isn't nearly as relevant as many say it is (that's an excuse for those that stay in CA and those that want to complain about AZ).

If you are a Freedom loving American, CA is the last place you want to be - and AZ is a great choice!

Old 06-14-2016, 06:22 PM

594 posts, read 700,345 times
Default I totally agree !

It's becoming rather obvious the crowd who keeps saying the same hashed over comments about people wanting to move to California or Phoenix is a temporary stop for people with California aspirations obviously have never lived there.
I've been in Arizona for almost 20 years and have not met one person including myself who wanted to move back to that madness. Furthermore, us native Californians simply cannot understand the continued infatuation by some for the place. California is not what it used to be people. And I'm not bashing California, it's just not what it used to be.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:25 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,291,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
I've been in Arizona for almost 20 years and have not met one person including myself who wanted to move back to that madness. Furthermore, us native Californians simply cannot understand the continued infatuation by some for the place. California is not what it used to be people. And I'm not bashing California, it's just not what it used to be.
Well now you've found one I'm not going to rehash my entire story but I'm from Mission Viejo and I plan to return to either that general area (South OC) or North SD county in about 10-11 years. I hate much of Southern California, including most of LA. The areas I like are nice, somewhat upscale but not ultra luxury, safe, close access to the beach and hiking, close access to many dining options. Phoenix is in my top-5 cities to live in though, I just prefer the ocean and the climate and of course still have friends and family in the area.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:59 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,316,397 times
I have a great idea...how about we talk about PHOENIX, and only Phoenix? This is crazy off topic.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 814 times
I was born in Simi Valley, CA and moved to the high desert of California (Hesperia) when I was 8 years old (1982ish?). After I married in 1996, I moved to Wrightwood, CA where I lived for 7 years. Divorce happened and I went a little bunkers and moved to New Hampshire for a year. Worst year of my life. Hightailed it out of there to Tampa, Florida. Tampa was nice but it was HUMID and miserable in the summer.

While I was frolicking on the east coast, my family moved to Phoenix, AZ. I would watch the news while I was in Tampa and see 110F summers in Phoenix and think to myself "why would anyone want to live in that crazy desert?!". This is while I was DYING in 85F 100% humidity weather where you stepped outside and couldn't BREATHE because it was so hot and sticky.

Long story short, things didn't work out for me in Tampa and I missed my family dearly so in 2010 (after 6 1/2 years in Tampa) I relocated to Phoenix. And I really love it here. I've got a great job, my family is close, I live in a beautiful apartment complex (green and full of citrus trees) - I honestly don't feel like I'm living in the desert. Now when it's 120F outside, it can be miserable, but we have AC in our cars, homes and at work so really it's not that big of a deal. What's wonderful is that the rest of the year (other than summer) the weather is PERFECT here. It doesn't get too cold and stays a wonderful 70-80F. I can hop on my bike and ride for MILES for most of the year. I can't complain and would rather live here then anywhere else in the US.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:08 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,980,447 times
Know what else the heat brings? These nasty cusses. Had my first encounter last night on our patio. No more sitting outside at night for me! Nothing worse than these monsters flying out of the darkness and landing on you. No thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
If Phoenix is that hot, why do so many move there?-beetle.jpg  

Old 06-16-2016, 09:41 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,145,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Know what else the heat brings? These nasty cusses. Had my first encounter last night on our patio. No more sitting outside at night for me! Nothing worse than these monsters flying out of the darkness and landing on you. No thanks.
It's just a harmless (to you) Palo Verde beetle.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:50 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,316,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
OMG!! I just saw one of those last night for the first time. I was outside getting my cat and both of us were freaked out. The thing was the size of a hummingbird and was dive bombing us. I'm surprised I didn't have nightmares about it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area