Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2016, 09:51 AM

394 posts, read 343,214 times

Advertisements

speaking of flying insects - are bug zappers common on there?... during the recent visits I've had, bugs haven't really been an issue - but my exposure has been minimal so far.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:59 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,140,676 times
Not as common as areas back east but I've seen them used out here.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:14 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,967,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
It's just a harmless (to you) Palo Verde beetle.
They are harmless, but they can pinch like a mofo! And even when you grab them, their thorax is covered in super sharp spikes, which also hurt. I wont mention how hard they can hold onto you as well. Its the stuff of nightmares. Especially when they land on you at night. Im sorry, but itll send any grown man into full-blown panic mode.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:17 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,140,676 times
wuss

Old 06-16-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
OMG!! I just saw one of those last night for the first time. I was outside getting my cat and both of us were freaked out. The thing was the size of a hummingbird and was dive bombing us. I'm surprised I didn't have nightmares about it!
Just wait til one lands in your hair. Itll take forever to get out because they grasp onto things like no tomorrow. Meanwhile, it'll be stumbing about on your head, further burying itself in there, while you scream yourself hoarse. hahahaha The beetle in my pic took a few seconds to get off my shirt, and that was with slapping it rather hard and shaking my shirt vigorously.

I dont know about you guys, but I have a TON of them by me in Scottsdale. As soon as dusk settles in, you can look to the sky and see dozens of them flying around. And they fly like theyre drunk. You have no way of telling their intended direction. I used to think praying mantises flew bad... until I moved here and saw these horrible things.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
wuss
Dude, youre talking to a guy who had a HUGE tarantula and scorpion collection. Ive plucked up tarantulas right off the ground, and held all of my scorpions, minus the medically significant ones. Big, flying insects that land on me unexpectedly (and wont get off), suck.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:21 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Just wait til one lands in your hair. Itll take forever to get out because they grasp onto things like no tomorrow. Meanwhile, it'll be stumbing about on your head, further burying itself in there, while you scream yourself hoarse. hahahaha The beetle in my pic took a few seconds to get off my shirt, and that was with slapping it rather hard and shaking my shirt vigorously.

I dont know about you guys, but I have a TON of them by me in Scottsdale. As soon as dusk settles in, you can look to the sky and see dozens of them flying around. And they fly like theyre drunk. You have no way of telling their intended direction. I used to think praying mantises flew bad... until I moved here and saw these horrible things.

That was the first one I have seen. It was flying around much like a June Bug does; like it's too heavy to really fly and it kept smacking into the side of the house. The fact that my cat seemed afraid of it as well says something as cats usually LOVE to chase stuff.

It literally was the size of a hummingbird. Hummingbirds are small for birds but HUGE for bugs. If I saw dozens flying around I'd never go outside again!

Old 06-16-2016, 10:24 AM

96 posts, read 112,876 times
People move to Phoenix because the cost of living is reasonable, especially for the Western US, and because there are jobs there. It definitely really gets hot there. It is not exaggerated.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:16 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,473,443 times
It's only gonna be 118 on Saturday? Sounds like a nice day for a picnic.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post

It literally was the size of a hummingbird. Hummingbirds are small for birds but HUGE for bugs. If I saw dozens flying around I'd never go outside again!
They do get pretty big, and their size is definitely intimidating. I would reiterate and say when I saw dozens, it wasnt at a time. I can see a dozen easily in 15 minutes or so, criss-crossing the sky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area