Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2016, 06:00 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,746,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
A coat, hat, and gloves took me a whole 30 seconds. More like 20 seconds, actually. Were you guys going out on Arctic expeditions or something? Or are you guys grossly overweight? lol

I wont argue its far easier to slip on flip-flops and walk out the door.
Oh, no....

It is not a hat, coat and gloves, that won't do sh*t for a real cold weather city. I'm talking a base layer underneath your pants, something like under armour. After that I would put on 100% wool socks, which are quite thick, I needed to pack an extra pair of regular socks to change into after I got to the office. Under my work shirt I needed a base layer as well, again under armour type of material works great. Then 1 or 2 layers above that. You're also forgetting a scarf and eye protection, my eyes would literally water from the cold wind blasting in my face.

This is not a 30 second process as it involves doing things before you leave and again when you get to the office and again when you leave for the evening. It gets very old after a few months.

When I was going out for a hike, bike ride or run the layers were even more ridiculous then this and I still nearly got frost bite on more than 1 occasion.

Sure, maybe I could get it down to 10-15 minutes on good days but it's not a 30 second process.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:03 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,746,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tla921 View Post
We just got back from 4 days in Arizona (flew in/out of Phoenix). Coming from a hot & humid environment we were interested to see what "dry" heat feels like. On any given summer day here it can be 95 with 50% humidity and feel like 110'ish. After feeling 110 with low humidity that supposedly felt cooler, I'll take the humidity. I'm sure it's all about what you are used to, but damn, I just didn't like it. And to be honest, it surprised me, I just knew that I was gonna like the heat. Last night we were outside after dinner and it felt like a hair dryer blowing on us. Just crazy....not to mention seeing the dust storm off in the distance that I thought was a rainstorm.

We had actually put Phoenix on the "possible retirement location" list, it's no longer on the list (which I'm sure is good news for folks that are tired of transplants ).
You do realize you were here for literally record breaking weather right? I certainly won't argue for another retiree to come to Arizona but I bet I could pick 4 of the worst days of the year to visit anywhere you're considering that would make me never want to come back as well. But just my .02.

I moved away from Arizona once, couldn't wait to come back and with any luck I'll avoid leaving again. But I also have lived in enough places to know I can't judge a place in 4 days.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:20 PM

717 posts, read 1,059,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Oh, no....

It is not a hat, coat and gloves, that won't do sh*t for a real cold weather city. I'm talking a base layer underneath your pants, something like under armour. After that I would put on 100% wool socks, which are quite thick, I needed to pack an extra pair of regular socks to change into after I got to the office. Under my work shirt I needed a base layer as well, again under armour type of material works great. Then 1 or 2 layers above that. You're also forgetting a scarf and eye protection, my eyes would literally water from the cold wind blasting in my face.

This is not a 30 second process as it involves doing things before you leave and again when you get to the office and again when you leave for the evening. It gets very old after a few months.

When I was going out for a hike, bike ride or run the layers were even more ridiculous then this and I still nearly got frost bite on more than 1 occasion.

Sure, maybe I could get it down to 10-15 minutes on good days but it's not a 30 second process.
Where was this? I don't think I've ever seen anyone in New England go to those lengths unless they were planning to be outside for a long time. Most commuters just wear a warm coat, maybe a hat, and sometimes water proof shoes depending on how wet and slushy it is. If you do anything physical, like go ice skating outside, you are probably going to regret the hat about 5 minutes in when you start sweating.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:43 PM

457 posts, read 499,059 times
Quote:
You do realize you were here for literally record breaking weather right? I certainly won't argue for another retiree to come to Arizona but I bet I could pick 4 of the worst days of the year to visit anywhere you're considering that would make me never want to come back as well. But just my .02.

I moved away from Arizona once, couldn't wait to come back and with any luck I'll avoid leaving again. But I also have lived in enough places to know I can't judge a place in 4 days.
I do realize that my week in AZ was during record heat. But, isn't your average high temp June-Sept 100+? I am not saying I would never come back, just not live. I don't want to retire here, either. I just have to find where I do want to retire. The quest continues.......

Old 06-25-2016, 05:54 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,836,138 times
Quote:
I guess I just don't agree with your logic, I never ask why do I live here? I live here because I like it and every place has it's good and bad sides. When I walked around at -20 degree windchill living in the northeast I knew that was part of life there and when I walk around when it's 110 here, I realize that comes with the territory. That doesn't make me ask why I live here, weather is never the biggest reason I'd live anywhere, although I love sunny weather so being in the valley is generally better for me, but many other factors make up while I live here.

perhaps the fact that I have lived elsewhere gives me a different perspective than someone like you who has never seen anything different. You do realize cold cities are equally as miserable in the winter right? When you spend 20 minutes putting on layers and still freeze after being outside 10 minutes, it's not better.

By the way, I spend way more time outdoors than the average indoor office worker. I'm not going to pretend I work outdoors, those people have a different level of toughness that I'll never even pretend I have and I say this for people who work both here and in cold climates. But I do spend 3-5 days on the local trails year-round, most of my excursions are between 2-4 hours, although I'll run longer in the winter months when heat isn't an issue. During the summer I get out as early as humanly possible or even go at night, but overall I find it manageable. When I lived in a winter city, it was impossible to adjust my timing for cold weather.
I'd rather take on layers than being as little clothes as possible but still be sweating until the ends of the time. But regardless of that, I'm just saying the heat gets a little extreme for everyone who lives here. At least once. It's a fact of life when you live in one of the hottest cities in the country let alone the world. While the ME and NA cities have us beat we are practically next in line. There wasn't even a moment of time the heat didn't hit you like a brick? I doubt that entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamebird98 View Post
Randy from "A Christmas Story"
Lol that's what I was thinking. But I think everyone who watched the movie knows that his mother overdid the layers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
Where was this? I don't think I've ever seen anyone in New England go to those lengths unless they were planning to be outside for a long time. Most commuters just wear a warm coat, maybe a hat, and sometimes water proof shoes depending on how wet and slushy it is. If you do anything physical, like go ice skating outside, you are probably going to regret the hat about 5 minutes in when you start sweating.
I want to know too, out of curiosity.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:20 AM

394 posts, read 343,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
I'd rather take on layers than being as little clothes as possible but still be sweating until the ends of the time. But regardless of that, I'm just saying the heat gets a little extreme for everyone who lives here. At least once. It's a fact of life when you live in one of the hottest cities in the country let alone the world. While the ME and NA cities have us beat we are practically next in line. There wasn't even a moment of time the heat didn't hit you like a brick? I doubt that entirely.
I'm not trying to speak for the poster you responded to - but I feel the people that downplay (for a lack of better term) the excessive heat, are simple trying to put it in perspective...

It's clear (from this thread) that everyone has a different tolerance level to extreme ambient temps... I happen not to mind the heat, but I understand there are more ways to get warm than cool - so some people feel extreme cold trumps heat... However, there is a certain level of effort that it takes to be comfortable in either environment - and to get the best comfort possible in extreme heat takes less effort than extreme cold (even though the results may not be equal).

I do find it ironic that we have people downplaying the heat by referencing the cold - then have responses downplaying the cold saying heat is harder to tolerate. We can all agree that every location has some level of discomfort - those of us that favor AZ find it to be Tolerable (and better than other alternatives).

Unfortunately it's human nature to not be content... Maybe not so unfortunate, because the fact itself is what drives us to always make our lives better... If heat sux and cold is better, AZ is the wrong place for you. If cold sux and heat is better, you are in one of the best places... If you are stuck in a place you're not comfortable with, that's when fortitude and dedication kicks in to either do what it takes to be content or make a change.

But lets be real... It too hot and people should not move there (« attempt to help keep AZ from being overcrowded )

Old 06-25-2016, 10:07 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,880,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
This is not meant to be sarcastic at all, but a real question: If it is so gawdawful hot there--and I really have never been there but am interested--why do so many move there? It seems folks there are stuck in the air conditioning for 4-5 months of the year. Can someone clarify this for me?
I'm seriously looking to move there because there are so many baby boomers there, but people in the Midwest keep telling me how hot it is there and that I will not like it.
The Phoenix region surely has to be better for my allergies than Houston was where I had cold-like symptoms way more than I ever should have had.
But, if people are getting stuck living in their homes for 4-5 months of the year due to the heat, that's just like living in Chicago where folks get stuck in the house for 4-5 months of the year due to the chilling cold. Dang!

I don't know why so many people move here. They like hot weather I guess.
It's to darn hot atleast half the year in my opinion.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:52 AM

13,345 posts, read 7,373,734 times
Most of the people who say they, "don't mind the heat" I find really never spend more then 20 minutes a day outside. If you like to go outside and do things you have to just bear the heat but also be weary how dangerous it is be smart about it. We will have about 1-10 people die this summer just from being outside hiking in the city I'm thankful we haven't had any so far in June.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:18 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,644,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Most of the people who say they, "don't mind the heat" I find really never spend more then 20 minutes a day outside. If you like to go outside and do things you have to just bear the heat but also be weary how dangerous it is be smart about it. We will have about 1-10 people die this summer just from being outside hiking in the city I'm thankful we haven't had any so far in June.
Maybe I'm an exception, but I've worked construction here, and still don't mind the summers

Old 06-25-2016, 11:35 AM

2,338 posts, read 4,723,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Maybe I'm an exception, but I've worked construction here, and still don't mind the summers
The key word is TOLERATE...Never met a Zonie who prefers 115 to 105 if they have a choice. The people who sit in a cubicle all week during peak heat hours and say they love it being 5 feet from their AC home or swimming pool is not an accurate depiction of loving the heat. If you folks LOVED the heat...you would be exerting yourself for hours taking in the 110 plus. Until you do that...you have no grounds to pimp up how much you love the heat. END OF STORY !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area