Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2016, 02:35 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,379,501 times

Advertisements

It's Palo Verde Borer Beetle season! Remarkable, we've all had the same experience for the first time this year within a matter of days of each other. We saw our first one at our house a couple days ago. It was pretty docile, we just shoo'ed it out of the garage with a broom. I will admit to not wanting ANYthing to do with a flying palo verde beetle. I feel so bad for Big Cats getting one in his hair, that had to be a trip!

We do have a palo verde on the edge of our property so I assume that's why we always see at least one every June. The good news is they are short-lived. Kind of a cool insect in a way, they live underground for a few years and then by the time they get to be huge adults, they emerge in June to fly around awkwardly, be huge and scary looking, mate, and die.

Apparently they don't even eat once they reach adult status so they are strictly above ground to mate. Before dying, the females lay their eggs in the ground and the cycle begins again.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:36 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,376,694 times
I have not seen a palo verde tree within a 5 mile radius of my house, so let's hope the one I saw was just passing through!

Old 06-16-2016, 02:57 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,379,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I have not seen a palo verde tree within a 5 mile radius of my house, so let's hope the one I saw was just passing through!
Wow, really? Palo Verde trees are like weeds in Phoenix, they're everywhere! Haha.

I guess if you lived in an irrigated area that would improve your chances of not having PV trees everywhere but for those of us who live in non-irrigated areas, they're kind of part of the standard "desert landscaping" package and you just see them everywhere.

I have nothing against palo verdes at all, but they're pretty ubiquitous so sometimes I get a little bored with them.

Old 06-16-2016, 03:12 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,590 posts, read 14,743,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
Wow, really? Palo Verde trees are like weeds in Phoenix, they're everywhere! Haha.

I guess if you lived in an irrigated area that would improve your chances of not having PV trees everywhere but for those of us who live in non-irrigated areas, they're kind of part of the standard "desert landscaping" package and you just see them everywhere.

I have nothing against palo verdes at all, but they're pretty ubiquitous so sometimes I get a little bored with them.
Irrigated area here (24th St&McDowell)

Old 06-16-2016, 04:18 PM

5,649 posts, read 6,017,163 times
Quote:
Theyre the green-barked trees you see everywhere. I guarantee you have them all over, its the most common tree in the Valley by a million miles. I live about 2 miles from a preserve, so thats why Im guessing I see so many of the blasted beetles.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:20 PM

5,649 posts, read 6,017,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
It's Palo Verde Borer Beetle season! Remarkable, we've all had the same experience for the first time this year within a matter of days of each other. We saw our first one at our house a couple days ago. It was pretty docile, we just shoo'ed it out of the garage with a broom. I will admit to not wanting ANYthing to do with a flying palo verde beetle. I feel so bad for Big Cats getting one in his hair, that had to be a trip!

We do have a palo verde on the edge of our property so I assume that's why we always see at least one every June. The good news is they are short-lived. Kind of a cool insect in a way, they live underground for a few years and then by the time they get to be huge adults, they emerge in June to fly around awkwardly, be huge and scary looking, mate, and die.

Apparently they don't even eat once they reach adult status so they are strictly above ground to mate. Before dying, the females lay their eggs in the ground and the cycle begins again.
I didnt have one in my hair, I was just imagining the horror of that happening. hahaha

Their lifecycle is interesting for sure, but Id rather do without, thank you very much. They dont go away until October, and I usually dont see them in June, usually early July, so the visit from the one last night was most unexpected.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:08 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,376,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Theyre the green-barked trees you see everywhere. I guarantee you have them all over, its the most common tree in the Valley by a million miles. I live about 2 miles from a preserve, so thats why Im guessing I see so many of the blasted beetles.
Yes I know what a Palo Verde tree is. And no. Looking out my windows to all of my neighbor's houses, I do not see any. I thought about this driving today, too. Did not see a one. They are not prevalent in my neighborhood at all.

There wasn't any that I could recall at my last place, either. That place had massive pines.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:12 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,608,063 times
Quote:
Yes I know what a Palo Verde tree is. And no. Looking out my windows to all of my neighbor's houses, I do not see any. I thought about this driving today, too. Did not see a one. They are not prevalent in my neighborhood at all.

There wasn't any that I could recall at my last place, either. That place had massive pines.
They aren't prevalent in my neighborhood either. We have plenty of pines and palms though.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:05 AM

10,228 posts, read 16,360,495 times
Don't know about Phoenix but I would love to live in Palm Springs if I was able to keep my house here. Because I'd spend my summers here and wherever else I'd like to go. I can deal with high-90/100 degrees but wouldn't want a steady season of it any hotter than that.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:46 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,168,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Dude, youre talking to a guy who had a HUGE tarantula and scorpion collection. Ive plucked up tarantulas right off the ground, and held all of my scorpions, minus the medically significant ones. Big, flying insects that land on me unexpectedly (and wont get off), suck.
I have yet to see one Tarantula since moving out here, how common are they and do they seek shelter inside your home like scorpions do? I actually had a dream about some Tarantulas last night and it freaked me out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area