Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2016, 01:49 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,772 times

Advertisements

SAD is just as prevalent in Phoenix as it is in any given city in the Midwest; however, the most depressing time of the year in Phoenix is the inverse of what it is in the Midwest.

If you suffer from SAD, you're a lot better off in South or Central Florida than Phoenix.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:58 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
SAD is just as prevalent in Phoenix as it is in any given city in the Midwest; however, the most depressing time of the year in Phoenix is the inverse of what it is in the Midwest.

If you suffer from SAD, you're a lot better off in South or Central Florida than Phoenix.

Seasonal affective disorder is MUCH less common, overall, with respect to spring and summer than it is to winter. Yes, people get depressed by, or tired of, the heat here, but that's not necessarily SAD. I'll bet there are people that get tired of it in FL too, but they are a lot closer to a beach.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:05 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post

For me my SAD went away completely the first year I moved here. Summer is the BEST time of the year here.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Seasonal affective disorder is MUCH less common, overall, with respect to spring and summer than it is to winter. Yes, people get depressed by, or tired of, the heat here, but that's not necessarily SAD. I'll bet there are people that get tired of it in FL too, but they are a lot closer to a beach.
SAD is less common in Florida because summers are significantly more bearable in the major Florida cities than in Phoenix or Tucson. I really do not care what anyone says because I'm speaking from personal experience after having lived in both states.

Florida has a better clouds-to-sun ratio and many more "breaks" from the intense summertime heat and humidity in the form of cloud cover, daily afternoon thunderstorms, sunshowers, large shade trees, trade winds and sea breezes, the occasional tropical storm and so forth.

Plus, you can escape to the beach in Florida, which always experiences lovely breezes, as opposed to driving hours to northern Arizona to beat the heat in Phoenix.

Oh, yeah - you don't burn your hands on your car doors or steering wheel in Florida.

Florida also has more pleasant winters, too. Aside from Jacksonville and the Panhandle, most of Florida is warmer in the wintertime than Phoenix.

In much of Florida, you're rewarded with, quite possibly, the loveliest winter weather in all of North America. In Phoenix, on the other hand, you don't receive as much of a respite from the hellishly hot summers, since winters in Phoenix are often cold, especially in the early morning and late evening hours.

No, Phoenix isn't cold in the same respect as the Midwest or Northeast in the wintertime, and it rarely snows there, but it still gets and stays cold - I really don't care what anyone says.

When I lived in Phoenix, I frequently wore a beanie and gloves on my 5:00 AM runs from December 1 to March 1; I never had to do that when I lived in South Florida.

IMO, it really sucks to be so hot and sweaty for so much of the year and then *STILL* have a wear a jacket or sweatshirt for most of the winter season.

And you still sweat like a ***** in church from July 1 to September 15 in Phoenix - don't let anyone fool you into thinking it's a "dry heat" once monsoon season is in full swing. 104F and rainy is no fun - trust me on that one. Too bad no one in Arizona tells you how humid it actually gets in the summer (well, at least by desert standards).

Old 05-17-2016, 02:08 PM

604 posts, read 934,420 times
My experience having lived in central Florida is NOT similar to the above post. Florida is unbearable due to humidity (even at the beach) and BUGS. The alleged "relief" due to cloud cover and rain also brings with it tornados and lightening. YUK! I'll take the desert heat any day (and am making the move permanently in 4 weeks!).

Last edited by GeneR; 05-17-2016 at 02:18 PM..

Old 05-17-2016, 04:34 PM

604 posts, read 934,420 times
And then there's this:

The 10 Best Weather Cities - Farmers' Almanac

Old 05-17-2016, 04:49 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR View Post
Yuma, El Paso, Reno...horrible cities IMO. Weather isn't everything.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:53 PM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,656 times
I HATE HATE HATE the summers in Florida I always could not wait for fall and for the humidity to drop - conversely I LOVE summer in Phoenix and always missed the heat in the winter.
The daily deluge of rain and the stifling humidity made me depressed.

And yes the bugs are horrific. You cannot be outside at night. Everyone has screened cages around their pools and patios. So awful.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garson View Post
I HATE HATE HATE the summers in Florida I always could not wait for fall and for the humidity to drop - conversely I LOVE summer in Phoenix and always missed the heat in the winter.
The daily deluge of rain and the stifling humidity made me depressed.

And yes the bugs are horrific. You cannot be outside at night. Everyone has screened cages around their pools and patios. So awful.
I never, ever had pest issues in Florida, as the pest control efforts are quite good there, in particular in the upscale coastal communities. I also lived very close to the ocean, so pests were not much of an issue to begin with due to the trade winds, etc.

I observed more mosquitoes and gnats in the air in Arizona during late monsoon season than I ever did in Florida, TBH.

And as far as I'm concerned, dude, scorpions are about the most deadly indoor pest on this side of the world. There are no scorpions in Florida.

People in the West have the most peculiar perceptions of Florida, which probably stem from very limited experience with the state relative to most people in the Midwest, Northeast and South, who mostly grow up taking annual pilgrimages to Florida.

Trust me when I tell you this - pests are the least of your concerns there, LOL.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:52 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,277,207 times
Speaking as someone born in the Southeast US and who spent considerable time in Florida. The weather in Florida is miserable in the Summer, but the wackadoo people in Florida makes it even worse. And don't get me started on bugs, even the swimming pools are screened in to keep bugs out. AZ is not close to my previous home in So Cal climate wise in the Summer, but much more pleasant than most of Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area