Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2011, 12:39 PM

183 posts, read 550,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd2k View Post
You can actually sit outside on a summer night in Phoenix because NO MOSQUITOES!!!! Thats huge.
I've been worried about making the heat adjustment, but is there no mosquitoes in PHX?
Is it because there's a scarcity of standing water for them to breed?

Old 06-19-2011, 12:51 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ bound View Post
I've been worried about making the heat adjustment, but is there no mosquitoes in PHX?
Is it because there's a scarcity of standing water for them to breed?
NO mosquitos is a bit of a stretch, but there are not many and they don't mess with your evenings on the patio.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Since I have not experienced October in the Valley (other than a visit it two) I'm going to yield to your expertise. But I THOUGHT people were complaining about the long Monsoon season (a.k.a. the humidity) either last year of the year before. Yes or no?? So 98 and "humid" is still not comfortable. Again, I don't know so please chime in.

As a side note, we were down in mid May with some friends (I forget the exact days). One of our friends was having a tough time during the hottest part of the day when the thermostat hit 97. Now to me, that felt GREAT but it just goes to show you how subjective the heat (or cold) is. I kept on suggesting that it is "low humidity" but her hubby kept on defaulting to the actual temperature.

While I have personally experienced -48 real temperature (OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!) and used to make fun of people from the Valley complaining about a cool evening in January, I too was complaining this winter when it was windy. So low humidity in Phoenix also makes the "cold" feel colder.
The monsoon ends right after Labor Day usually and humidity crashes. It feels a whole lot better. The high temps hang on for a few more weeks but succumb to the decreasing length of day and nights get colder because they are longer. October can have a day or so over 100, but they are not too common after the first week. Then temps start to fall rapidly and by the end of the month, it is usually in the 80s. October is also the time when we can have hurricanes, or more precisely remnant lows, come up from the Pacific. It can rain a lot and be humid for several days when this happens.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:14 PM

593 posts, read 1,412,156 times
There ARE mosquitoes, just not all over and it really depends on where you are. I could never go outside during the summer at my house because the second I went outside I would get bit up so bad my arms and legs were unsightly and it was too hot to wear pants so I just didn't go outside at all. It was either the proximity to the canals or a neighbor with standing water somewhere. But there are mosquitoes, don't be fooled!!

Old 06-19-2011, 01:38 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,784,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchNsniff View Post
There ARE mosquitoes, just not all over and it really depends on where you are. I could never go outside during the summer at my house because the second I went outside I would get bit up so bad my arms and legs were unsightly and it was too hot to wear pants so I just didn't go outside at all. It was either the proximity to the canals or a neighbor with standing water somewhere. But there are mosquitoes, don't be fooled!!
Many times it's a house where the owner is in a short sale situation and has moved out leaving the utilities off and the pool gets stagnant and green. If there is a vacant home nearby that has a pool, then if you can get in the back yard and see a green pool, then call the Maricopa County Vector Control Home :: Vector Control

They will come out and put Gambusia (mosquito eating fish) in there.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:52 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,877,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
This is not meant to be sarcastic at all, but a real question: If it is so gawdawful hot there--and I really have never been there but am interested--why do so many move there? It seems folks there are stuck in the air conditioning for 4-5 months of the year. Can someone clarify this for me?
I'm seriously looking to move there because there are so many baby boomers there, but people in the Midwest keep telling me how hot it is there and that I will not like it.
The Phoenix region surely has to be better for my allergies than Houston was where I had cold-like symptoms way more than I ever should have had.
But, if people are getting stuck living in their homes for 4-5 months of the year due to the heat, that's just like living in Chicago where folks get stuck in the house for 4-5 months of the year due to the chilling cold. Dang!

I don't know why so many move here.

I think I would prefer the cold over the heat. I like November, December, and January here.

Definitely have mosquitoes here

Old 06-19-2011, 02:02 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,947,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
Definitely have mosquitoes here
Yea right...if you thik we have Mosquitos here then you don't know what it's like to have Mosquitos.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:06 PM

20 posts, read 58,680 times
the worst place to have mosquitos is on your ear lobe!!!!! Anyway, sure, phoenix is hot, but it is dry, so you dont have to worry about humidity. It can 106 and you wont even notice (really). also the majority of people that are moving there are retired people because it is warm.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:34 PM

9,746 posts, read 11,171,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The monsoon ends right after Labor Day usually and humidity crashes. It feels a whole lot better. The high temps hang on for a few more weeks but succumb to the decreasing length of day and nights get colder because they are longer. October can have a day or so over 100, but they are not too common after the first week. Then temps start to fall rapidly and by the end of the month, it is usually in the 80s. October is also the time when we can have hurricanes, or more precisely remnant lows, come up from the Pacific. It can rain a lot and be humid for several days when this happens.

That's great news that the humidity is down. But my favorite MN month is October. The leaves change color, the lake is calm with uneventful weather, The apples are plentiful to make pies and the grass and fields are green. While I'm not ready to retire at age 47, I'm going to enjoy cherry picking the best of both climates. I must say that the more I come to to the desert the more I appreciate it.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
That's great news that the humidity is down. But my favorite MN month is October. The leaves change color, the lake is calm with uneventful weather, The apples are plentiful to make pies and the grass and fields are green. While I'm not ready to retire at age 47, I'm going to enjoy cherry picking the best of both climates. I must say that the more I come to to the desert the more I appreciate it.
That's northern Arizona in October. Leaves, crisp cool air. The water is still warm at Powell and it is absolutely the best time to go there. We can cherry pick weather all year in AZ. Just drive somewhere else if it's too hot/cold. Helps to be retired (and rich) though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area