Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2016, 12:26 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,815,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
TO be honest, 75 degrees with 65% humidity is absolutely comfortable. Dont believe me? Our winters here usually hold the same humidity and temps. All one has to do is look it up. Now, tell me thats "uncomfotable" (see link below). Humidity or not, East Coast summers are far more tolerable than our blistering hot, elongated summers. Sure its more humid, but the temps arent hot. If our summers were so tolerable and nice, how come this place gets vacated from June til October? How come places like NYC and CHI and DEN are chock full of tourists during teh summer, and PHX is a ghost town? How come our resorts are empty in summer? Oh, thats right, because our summers blow. And its not "dry HEAT". Its only "dry" in June, then the rest of our HEAT months are quite sticky. Lets get real, people. Quit sugarcoating our summers.

Here was a random day in Scottsdale this last winter (click link). Thats the SAME numbers you say that make Eastern summers so "miserable"? If you think our winters are glorious, then thats what we used to get half the summer in IL. It was heaven. Sure, there were days of super humidity, but it was only 2-3 days at a time, then back to cooler, much drier air. Here? Its CRAP all summer. Absolute CRAP. Hot, hotter, hotter still, then hot with humidity. Sorry, our summers suck arse.
https://www.wunderground.com/history...eqdb.wmo=99999
After living in the N'east for over 50 years I totally disagree with this. Sure we'd get cool fronts and our high temps aren't as high as here but the humidity is so thick it will choke you throughout the day. It's not uncommon to get 30-45 day stretches of 90+ temps with high humidity and IL isn't all that much better. My girlfriend lives there and there's a lot more than just a 2-3 day stretch of humid days but again,every year is different. The east coast weather is far worse then IL as the jet stream sucks moisture from the gulf right up the coast. Same with our winters when the jet stream dips down from Canada and there's moisture being sucked in from the gulf we'll have some nasty N'Easters which usually dump several feet of snow on us.

You can also ask yourself the same question why places like NYC,MA and CHI the people flock to places like AZ & FL in the winter months. Because winters suck!! It's cold,icy & snowing and most can't stand winters as they get older. Go to most east coast areas and they're a ghost town during the winter months. Just like here you'll get a few who don't mind it but the majority are hibernating inside or have high tailed it someplace warmer. Again,not everyone has the same weather tolerance and there seems to only be 5-6 people on here who constantly complain about it. There wouldn't be over 1.5 million people in Phoenix if it was that bad.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:32 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,981,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
After living in the N'east for over 50 years I totally disagree with this. Sure we'd get cool fronts and our high temps aren't as high as here but the humidity is so thick it will choke you throughout the day. It's not uncommon to get 30-45 day stretches of 90+ temps with high humidity and IL isn't all that much better. My girlfriend lives there and there's a lot more than just a 2-3 day stretch of humid days but again,every year is different. The east coast weather is far worse then IL as the jet stream sucks moisture from the gulf right up the coast. Same with our winters when the jet stream dips down from Canada and there's moisture being sucked in from the gulf we'll have some nasty N'Easters which usually dump several feet of snow on us.

You can also ask yourself the same question why places like NYC,MA and CHI the people flock to places like AZ & FL in the winter months. Because winters suck!! It's cold,icy & snowing and most can't stand winters as they get older. Go to most east coast areas and they're a ghost town during the winter months. Just like here you'll get a few who don't mind it but the majority are hibernating inside or have high tailed it someplace warmer. Again,not everyone has the same weather tolerance and there seems to only be 5-6 people on here who constantly complain about it. There wouldn't be over 1.5 million people in Phoenix if it was that bad.
All I know is that lower temps with high humidity are absolutely comfortable. High temps mixed with high humidity/dew point suck, for sure. But here, when its 105 degrees with 40% humidity and a 50-degree dewpoint suck just as bad. The only difference is that the heat here lasts much, much longer than it does out East. Thats just the truth. And Chicago averages only 20 days where temps struggle to reach 90 degrees. The rest of the summer is 75-85 on average. Its NEVER been even remotely close to having a month/1.5 months stretch of 90+ temps. I think the record was 10 days, Ill have to double check that. I know the NE's weather is different, but Chicago never really stayed sticky for long periods of time. Maybe a week at most that I can remember personally. Then we'd get those lovely Canadian cold fronts that dropped temps sometimes 25-30 degrees within a day. There are a few nights each summer where we would have to wear hoodies outside at night because it was that chilly. Here we dont get that luxury until late October.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:39 PM

639 posts, read 974,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post

30-45 days of 90+ didn't happen in my 30+ years in New England. 3 days of it was considered a heat wave. I don't know where you're specifically referring to but I don't think I ever encountered more than a week of 90+ degrees there. Is it uncomfortable when it's that hot? Yes. But it's uncomfortable when we hit over 110 here, and we do that for stretches every summer. The nice thing about the Northeast- weather varies. Even in the winters, it doesn't stay in the negatives for months on end. It changes. Here, we really don't get much of a temperature variance throughout the entire summer. It just doesn't let up. It comes down to an individual's tolerance though.

ETA: I just did a quick search. According to the Record Journal, in CT, "The longest consecutive streak of 90-degree weather happened in 1995, with 10 straight days; and there were nine each in 1973 and 2002."

Last edited by sandy6879; 06-29-2016 at 12:55 PM..

Old 06-29-2016, 12:52 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,815,787 times
Quote:
All I know is that lower temps with high humidity are absolutely comfortable. High temps mixed with high humidity/dew point suck, for sure. But here, when its 105 degrees with 40% humidity and a 50-degree dewpoint suck just as bad. The only difference is that the heat here lasts much, much longer than it does out East. Thats just the truth. And Chicago averages only 20 days where temps struggle to reach 90 degrees. The rest of the summer is 75-85 on average. Its NEVER been even remotely close to having a month/1.5 months stretch of 90+ temps. I think the record was 10 days, Ill have to double check that. I know the NE's weather is different, but Chicago never really stayed sticky for long periods of time. Maybe a week at most that I can remember personally. Then we'd get those lovely Canadian cold fronts that dropped temps sometimes 25-30 degrees within a day. There are a few nights each summer where we would have to wear hoodies outside at night because it was that chilly. Here we dont get that luxury until late October.
I agree that Chicago weather,mostly the summers,are much better than the east coast and here it's just hot for months on end. Just the other night my gf was going to the gym and had to go back and get a light jacket,temps are perfect there this week only in the 70's to low 80's for highs. Trust me I'm not a fan of either extreme but at this point in my life i can tolerate heat better than cold.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:24 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,478,989 times
Is it actually going to be a high of 93 on Friday or did I wake up in some alternative universe this am????

Old 06-29-2016, 01:40 PM

226 posts, read 227,902 times
Quote:
TO be honest, 75 degrees with 65% humidity is absolutely comfortable. Dont believe me? Our winters here usually hold the same humidity and temps. All one has to do is look it up. Now, tell me thats "uncomfotable" (see link below). Humidity or not, East Coast summers are far more tolerable than our blistering hot, elongated summers. Sure its more humid, but the temps arent hot. If our summers were so tolerable and nice, how come this place gets vacated from June til October? How come places like NYC and CHI and DEN are chock full of tourists during teh summer, and PHX is a ghost town? How come our resorts are empty in summer? Oh, thats right, because our summers blow. And its not "dry HEAT". Its only "dry" in June, then the rest of our HEAT months are quite sticky. Lets get real, people. Quit sugarcoating our summers.

Here was a random day in Scottsdale this last winter (click link). Thats the SAME numbers you say that make Eastern summers so "miserable"? If you think our winters are glorious, then thats what we used to get half the summer in IL. It was heaven. Sure, there were days of super humidity, but it was only 2-3 days at a time, then back to cooler, much drier air. Here? Its CRAP all summer. Absolute CRAP. Hot, hotter, hotter still, then hot with humidity. Sorry, our summers suck arse.
https://www.wunderground.com/history...eqdb.wmo=99999
Still so much better than Houston. Or anywhere else on the Gulf Coast. Or the East Coast from Florida to Maine. Or the Midwest from Chicago to Indianapolis to St. Louis.

It's not sugarcoating, it's reality. 115 degrees with 10% humidity trumps 90 degrees with 60% humidity every time. It's silly to even compare the two.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:49 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,930,504 times
48 degrees this morning in the suburbs of Chicago, which was really something!

I agree that heat/cold tolerance definitely sways back and forth as you get older

when I was younger, I loved the below zero weather and horrific wind chills in Chicago, but now as an "older fart", I yearn to leave here and move to Phoenix, so I no longer have to shovel snow, fall on the ice, scrape my windshield day after day if I leave the car outside, anf buy 100's of pounds of ice melt every october, in preparation of whats to come...let alone get the snow blower ready, get the roof shovel out so ice dams dont run my expensive roof, and on and on..

Problem is, with the climate changes that are definitely part of our lives going forward, who knows how hot it will be in Phoenix, or how much worse the midwest winters will become????
I plan on taking my chances in Arizona...

Old 06-29-2016, 02:00 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,749,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
48 degrees this morning in the suburbs of Chicago, which was really something!

I agree that heat/cold tolerance definitely sways back and forth as you get older

when I was younger, I loved the below zero weather and horrific wind chills in Chicago, but now as an "older fart", I yearn to leave here and move to Phoenix, so I no longer have to shovel snow, fall on the ice, scrape my windshield day after day if I leave the car outside, anf buy 100's of pounds of ice melt every october, in preparation of whats to come...let alone get the snow blower ready, get the roof shovel out so ice dams dont run my expensive roof, and on and on..

Problem is, with the climate changes that are definitely part of our lives going forward, who knows how hot it will be in Phoenix, or how much worse the midwest winters will become????
I plan on taking my chances in Arizona...
I don't think you can try to pick and choose your way around climate change, it doesn't seem like any 1 region is going to have a better experience dealing with it.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:10 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,981,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade007 View Post
Still so much better than Houston. Or anywhere else on the Gulf Coast. Or the East Coast from Florida to Maine. Or the Midwest from Chicago to Indianapolis to St. Louis.

It's not sugarcoating, it's reality. 115 degrees with 10% humidity trumps 90 degrees with 60% humidity every time. It's silly to even compare the two.
Anything is better than Houston, including Barrow, AK.

Sorry, I would disagree that 115 degrees is "better" than 90. BOTH suck. Equally. There's no denying that. What sucks about PHX summers are the weeks and weeks of 105-120 degrees, then it "cools" to 100-110 but with added humidity. Its an insult to an existing injury. "Dry heat" my arse.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:14 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,749,772 times
Quote:
Anything is better than Houston, including Barrow, AK.

Sorry, I would disagree that 115 degrees is "better" than 90. BOTH suck. Equally. There's no denying that. What sucks about PHX summers are the weeks and weeks of 105-120 degrees, then it "cools" to 100-110 but with added humidity. Its an insult to an existing injury. "Dry heat" my arse.
Yeah, the other tough part about this cool off to 100-110 is that our lows stay a lot higher with the saturated air. 90 degrees at 6am is just not refreshing at all but I can sweat through it for a few months, always will choose this over freezing my arse off.

But I agree this is the most annoying time of the year. When it's still dry in early June, you can almost always beat the heat by getting up early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area