Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2018, 06:54 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,616,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac58 View Post
C'mon people. How often does your AC fail and/or your car break down in unbearable heat? If more than once every ten years, you're not maintaining your car properly. THAT'S the problem, not the weather. In cold climes, during storm conditions, smart people carry sleeping bags, provisions and other emergency supplies in their trunk. In Phoenix, it would be simple enough to carry a gallon of water, shade umbrella, and whatever else you might need in your car during the hot months, on the extremely rare chance that your car breaks down.

Sheesh. You all make it sound like it's a regular occurrence. The sky is falling!
C'mon, Mac. What would any absentee Ore-gone-ian really know about Phoenix / Arizona HEAT?

Old 08-10-2018, 07:51 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,740,401 times
Quote:
C'mon people. How often does your AC fail and/or your car break down in unbearable heat? If more than once every ten years, you're not maintaining your car properly. THAT'S the problem, not the weather. In cold climes, during storm conditions, smart people carry sleeping bags, provisions and other emergency supplies in their trunk. In Phoenix, it would be simple enough to carry a gallon of water, shade umbrella, and whatever else you might need in your car during the hot months, on the extremely rare chance that your car breaks down.

Sheesh. You all make it sound like it's a regular occurrence. The sky is falling!
Yeah, add to that the fact that we’re not living in the middle of nowhere, if the car breaks down on the 202 you can call yourself an Uber and be out of there in 10 minutes worst case scenario. If you’re on a road trip to California you should bring some water and food for sure; that’s common sense anywhere.

Things always get blown out of proportion for weather threads.

One clear benefit to the heat over cold is you’re rarely dealing with extreme weather here that will actually cause you break down, crash or get stuck. If we are having a dust storm or rain storm then the heat is not as big of a factor as it’s cloudy and cooler.

When you deal with weather events in cold climates it can be quite dangerous and I personally felt less in control of my destiny when I hit black ice or a nor’easter blows through and drops 3-4’ Of snow in a short period.

I find our climate much more bearable.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:12 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,640,765 times
Time to add my 2 cents to the thread. Primarily, people move to Phoenix for jobs, secondly is cheaper cost of living, third for weather and retirees. That about sums it up.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:54 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,971,972 times
Quote:
C'mon people. How often does your AC fail and/or your car break down in unbearable heat? If more than once every ten years, you're not maintaining your car properly. THAT'S the problem, not the weather.
I'm in the auto industry. A/C components fail all the time, regardless. I've seen failed systems on cars with less than 1,000 miles on the clock. Your statement that you have to maintain your a/c for it to work would never apply there now would it? A/C line o-ring failures are the biggest culprit for system failures, followed by leaky high side ports, and then compressors seizing up prematurely. Tell me, how do you maintain those to prevent failure? Do you take the time to remove all your a/c lines (ie compressor to condenser, drier to evap, evap to compressor, etc) and replace all those O-rings each year? Doubt it. Do you replace your Schrader valves each year? Doubt it. The only thing you can do is keep your Freon level correct and hope for the best. The whole "you're not maintaining your car properly" statement is quite ridiculous.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:22 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,304,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I'm in the auto industry. A/C components fail all the time, regardless. I've seen failed systems on cars with less than 1,000 miles on the clock. Your statement that you have to maintain your a/c for it to work would never apply there now would it? A/C line o-ring failures are the biggest culprit for system failures, followed by leaky high side ports, and then compressors seizing up prematurely. Tell me, how do you maintain those to prevent failure? Do you take the time to remove all your a/c lines (ie compressor to condenser, drier to evap, evap to compressor, etc) and replace all those O-rings each year? Doubt it. Do you replace your Schrader valves each year? Doubt it. The only thing you can do is keep your Freon level correct and hope for the best. The whole "you're not maintaining your car properly" statement is quite ridiculous.
I've had a car for over 45 years and I've NEVER had my AC fail...let along in the middle of the desert miles away from any humanity and no cell phone or water or food and absolutely no chance of being rescued. I guess I"m just unusual. However, I"ve had many, many harrowing experiences having lived in the upper Midwest in crappy winter weather conditions for sure!!

I know I"m the exception, but thought I'd mention it.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:56 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,069,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Time to add my 2 cents to the thread. Primarily, people move to Phoenix for jobs, secondly is cheaper cost of living, third for weather and retirees. That about sums it up.
+1

Yup, I'm here because of a job. Absent that factor I doubt it would have occurred to me to move to Phoenix metro. Yes, the area has many positives, but a good job and a reasonable cost of living are the reasons I am here.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:01 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,069,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
I've had a car for over 45 years and I've NEVER had my AC fail...let along in the middle of the desert miles away from any humanity and no cell phone or water or food and absolutely no chance of being rescued. I guess I"m just unusual. However, I"ve had many, many harrowing experiences having lived in the upper Midwest in crappy winter weather conditions for sure!!

This climate puts a severe demand on a/c systems. In the past five years we've had to go to a hotel twice because of issues with our home a/c. In addition, the compressors on both of our vehicles have failed in that same timeframe.

Of course, these are not life-threatening issues for people who have the resources to address the problem, but it can be serious for people who are "on the edge" financially speaking. Same comment applies to cold climates, especially today when nearly everyone has a cell phone.

Last edited by hikernut; 08-10-2018 at 12:19 PM..

Old 08-10-2018, 11:11 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,145,425 times
In Januray when there's ice and snow in many places, it's nice and sunny in Phoenix. It is worth goingthru the grueling summers to enjoy that luxury.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:24 AM

16,113 posts, read 6,868,553 times
Arizona Phoenix area : Valley of the Sun.....................

more like surface of the Sun..........L.O.L. ( not including higher elevations like Flagstaff )

Pros: Beautiful scenery. Stargazers Paradise. Modern and ultra clean neighborhoods. Perfect weather 3-4 months out of the year.

Cons: Hot,little rain(except for the occasional Monsoons),Hot,no snow,Hot,dust devils,Hot,roadrunners,Hot,tumbleweed,Hot,Crickets ( Arizonas
Roaches),Hot,Boiling pavements,Hot,Car Interiors Hot.........Hot,Hot !

Old 08-10-2018, 11:36 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,616,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Arizona Phoenix area : Valley of the Sun.....................

more like surface of the Sun..........L.O.L. ( not including higher elevations like Flagstaff )

Pros: Beautiful scenery. Stargazers Paradise. Modern and ultra clean neighborhoods. Perfect weather 3-4 months out of the year.

Cons: Hot,little rain(except for the occasional Monsoons),Hot,no snow,Hot,dust devils,Hot,roadrunners,Hot,tumbleweed,Hot,Crickets( Arizonas
Roaches),Hot,Boiling pavements,Hot,Car Interiors Hot.........Hot,Hot !
And, your point is...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area