Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2018, 12:11 PM

5,649 posts, read 6,017,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
I've had a car for over 45 years and I've NEVER had my AC fail...let along in the middle of the desert miles away from any humanity and no cell phone or water or food and absolutely no chance of being rescued. I guess I"m just unusual. However, I"ve had many, many harrowing experiences having lived in the upper Midwest in crappy winter weather conditions for sure!!

I know I"m the exception, but thought I'd mention it.
That's crazy. Ive had a/c fail in my cars, lets see, 3 times since moving here 6 years ago. Its very common. Our shop is mostly filled with a/c jobs right now as I speak.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:27 PM

3,421 posts, read 2,953,804 times
sounds like you've had some bad car luck, BC; after spending over 30 years in the Automotive industry, I agree with you that AC systems go out all the time; amazingly, even though I have traveled millions of miles by car, I never had a AC system go on me; probably because I was lucky enough to always have new/newer cars to drive..
but, if you've been driving out here for years, and never had car AC problems, consider yourself lucky..the heat kills every thing under the hood, and below it..

Old 08-10-2018, 12:43 PM

2,555 posts, read 2,316,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
That's crazy. Ive had a/c fail in my cars, lets see, 3 times since moving here 6 years ago. Its very common. Our shop is mostly filled with a/c jobs right now as I speak.
I believe you. I guess I've been lucky.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:44 PM

6,856 posts, read 5,169,612 times
Before moving to AZ I don't recall ever replacing a compressor, in a car or a home system. Granted, my first car and my first house didn't even have a/c! One year of a/c use in Phoenix probably equates to five years' of use or more when we lived in the Denver area.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:55 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,652,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Before moving to AZ I don't recall ever replacing a compressor, in a car or a home system. Granted, my first car and my first house didn't even have a/c! One year of a/c use in Phoenix probably equates to five years' of use or more when we lived in the Denver area.
Ouch! What a major sacrifice that was!

Old 08-10-2018, 01:11 PM

6,856 posts, read 5,169,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
Ouch! What a major sacrifice that was!
That was not in AZ. I bought the car without a/c in Oregon and also owned it when I moved to Colorado. The house without a/c was in Colorado.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:14 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,773,151 times
I would rather deal with hot weather from May to August than freezing cold weather and snow from October/November till April/May

Old 08-11-2018, 09:56 AM

5,649 posts, read 6,017,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
I would rather deal with hot weather from May to August than freezing cold weather and snow from October/November till April/May
The heck did you live? Gnome, AK?

I lived far north and it might snow one day in October, and not reliably until very late November, and ended in late February. Snow might make an appearance in April, but it melts right away. And that's MAYBE one day. April and May up north are like our February weather here in Phoenix... definitely not cold and snowy.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:07 AM

586 posts, read 547,256 times
I live in Canada in the middle of the Prairies and I play golf from mid April to mid Oct almost every year and I'm a fair weather golfer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
The heck did you live? Gnome, AK?

I lived far north and it might snow one day in October, and not reliably until very late November, and ended in late February. Snow might make an appearance in April, but it melts right away. And that's MAYBE one day. April and May up north are like our February weather here in Phoenix... definitely not cold and snowy.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:54 AM

2,555 posts, read 2,316,106 times
[quote=BIG CATS;52769965]The heck did you live? Gnome, AK?

The following was taken directly word for word from the Chicago Tribune. 6 days of snow in April.

"The Chicago area saw a record 16 days in which temperatures were 32 degrees or lower in April, said Kevin Donofrio, a meteorologist for the National Weather Service. The previous record was set in 1874 and 1873 for 15 days freezing or below-freezing temperatures. The average monthly temperature is about 49 degrees, according to the weather service. Chicago also had 6 days this April with snow accumulation."

Many, many places in the Midwest got 20 inches or significantly more of snow in mid April this year. In Sioux Falls, South Dakota, as well as Chicago where you lived, it's very common for it to turn cold with a blizzard in late October...and don't fool yourself, it can be snowy and slush and generally very miserable in March...and it's still cold with pretty crappy weather in April which can last into May easily....there's basically June through maybe mid Sept that are decent (although can be humid and very storm then) in places like Sioux Falls and Chicago and a number of places in what we generally call the Great Plains or Midwest. Sure, there's the exception occasionally for a few days in the winter of more tolerable weather, but those are the exception and they are few and far between.

Now, some people like that weather. I understand and appreciate that. That doesn't make them weird or anything.

For you, absence apparently makes the heart grow fonder. And that's ok.

Last edited by Burkmere; 08-11-2018 at 11:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area