Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2015, 06:12 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,505,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Is 140 with no humidity better than 95 with high humidity?
No but it has never been 140 here and it's pretty unusual to reach 120.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:21 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,596,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizenrich View Post
Yes, this absolute truth. I'll take 105 with low humidity over 85 with high humidity all day long. Literally.

Bottom line is San Diego has perfect weather. But, you're going to pay 5 or 6 times more for that weather.
I'm from San Diego's "east county" inland (15-20 miles from the beaches). I just look at it like this, "I moved further inland ).
It is brutally nasty hot and I hate this climate with a passion. I always thought San Diego was a bit too hot even and if I ever left it would be to a colder climate not a warmer one. Oh well, aside from the godawful weather this place is full of opportunity, and still close enough to visit San Diego whenever I want. I probably do about 13,000 extra miles a year living here with all the San Diego trips and back. I don't think I could live here without that proximity. I go into a funk when I go a month or so without a trip home.
And I actually have a new found appreciation for San Diego since coming to the desert. When I go back I go to the beach often (It was rare before), and I can actually smell all the trees. It's weird I never used to be able to pick up that smell.

In the same respect, I was always struggling to make ends meet there while here, I have a lot of disposable income and it's an absolutely fair trade off.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:39 PM

39,086 posts, read 51,266,875 times
It's going to be 70s tomorrow. Highly unusual. I am going to capture some of that air in tightly capped Mason jar and open it in July to enjoy the cool burst.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:54 PM

81 posts, read 82,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddjpb View Post
I've been cooped up inside for the past 6 months because it's TOO FREAKING COLD to go outside. I can't enjoy the heat, I can't enjoy the palm trees. I can only enjoy wearing 5 layers of clothes as well as gloves, thick socks, boots, hats, scarves, and more every single time I just want to get out of the house.
Nicely put. In Minnesota we're cooped up indoors half the year or else we have to suit up in layers of clothes to go anywhere. Need a gallon of milk in January? Boots on, sweater, warm pants, socks, hat, gloves, down-filled coat (wool won't cut it), and unless you get a remote starter and remember to start your car ten minutes ahead of time, you still freeze your face off. Wrap your face in a scarf and your breath condenses on your eyelashes and turns into ice droplets (seriously; for those not used to upper Midwest winters, I'm not kidding). We came out to Phoenix in February and it was a revelation. The world is your living room. Sandals on? Check! Go.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:02 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,476,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Is 140 with no humidity better than 95 with high humidity?
Being that I lived in the Middle East I personally like 110 with no humidity better than 95 with high humidity. Humidity gives me a headache its disgusting, if you ever lived a summer in the South you would understand how Arizona weather in the summer is way better than a Nashville summer.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:32 PM

755 posts, read 1,119,659 times
Thank goodness, I find San Diego too chilly for me. It's lovely, but I'm always just a little uncomfortably cold there. Can't afford it, so it's just as well!

I can spend 7 months in the cold of Montana, stuck inside because I don't particularly enjoy outdoor winter sports (I can ski, and will if I must) and because the cold physically hurts my body. I drive on icy roads and shovel snow. On the up side, the scenery is beautiful and the skies are generally sunny all winter long. True "summer" weather is perhaps 3 months.

Or I can spend 3-5 months (depending on who you ask, for me it's about 6 weeks) in what some would consider extreme heat in a place equally as beautiful (in my view). The heat doesn't bother me, I love it, but even I tire of the hot nights and constant A/C.
If nothing else, it's a shorter period trapped inside, but for me, a dip in the pool and I am good to go for a walk or putter around in the yard. I love it. Phoenix is beautiful. There are downsides, but imo the weather ain't one.

Different people like different things, thank goodness.

(And ETA: I have no problem with the resurrection of this thread. People ask me this exact question ALL. THE. TIME.)

Last edited by Montanama; 05-07-2015 at 09:41 PM..

Old 05-08-2015, 07:19 AM

7,187 posts, read 9,247,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It's going to be 70s tomorrow. Highly unusual. I am going to capture some of that air in tightly capped Mason jar and open it in July to enjoy the cool burst.
Keep it in the fridge. That way it won't spoil.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:22 AM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,432,200 times
Sometimes people like an area regardless of the weather. And it's not like they are really stuck inside for 4-5 months if they go out and live with it.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:07 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,616,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanama View Post
(And ETA: I have no problem with the resurrection of this thread. People ask me this exact question ALL. THE. TIME.)
From what I've read, unless I've missed it, the C-D Terms of Service don't seem to have any problem with "resurrection of threads" either.

On the other hand, they do have a problem with the "bumping" of threads, which is a horse of a different color.

I doubt if anybody believes that bringing back old & cold threads from the dark depths of the C-D dungeon is bumping, however we posters dutifully enjoy giving anybody (newbie or veteran) who resurrects -- the razzberries! And we razz ALL. THE. TIME.!

Old 05-08-2015, 08:08 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,612,035 times
Look on the bright side, this is the only place you can jump in the pool fully clothed and go for a walk around the block, by the time you return you're completely dry. It's like magic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area