Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2011, 01:06 PM

70 posts, read 209,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
Hey Stoneycipher,
I just moved here almost exactly one month ago from the central Oregon coast. It doesn't get any more wet than that. The little town I lived in averaged 119 inches per year.
You are correct that the Pacific Northwest is probably the most beautiful area of the U.S. I will certainly miss being out on one of the many lakes and rivers you have up there but for me, I just couldn't handle the rain any longer. Last winter almost killed me.
As many say on here, it is what you make it and that applies to me as well.
I did enjoy the summers in the PNW, it's the winters that got to me so I moved to Arizona. East Mesa to be exact and so far I love it here. The desert has it's own beauty that can't be matched anywhere else.
Many have said that I'm in the "honeymoon period" and that I'll regret the move but I don't think so. Endless sunshine, lots of ways to cool off and so far, very nice people.
I just bought a house here that I couldn't have afforded up there in my wildest dreams, lots of lake around here (suprisingly) and easy access to Cali. beaches, the forested mountians near Flagstaff, Vegas, Grand Canyon among many other wonderful things.
Frankly, I'm glad I've lived to experience both the PNW and the Great Southwest at length.
One thing I can say after experiencing it first hand. It really is a dry heat. 105 is actually not bad. Not bad at all. 118 wasn't my favorite but with a pool, I survived it just fine.

My thoughts exactly....very well put.......and I'm from Joisey!!!

Old 07-20-2011, 01:16 PM

122 posts, read 307,720 times
If Phoenix is that hot, why do so many move there?

Personally, I will NEVER understand it!

Old 07-20-2011, 07:09 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,521,453 times
So many have raved about liking the heat and not having to put up with cold winters...but what good is the heat, when the people are cold?

Old 07-20-2011, 09:48 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,706,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
So many have raved about liking the heat and not having to put up with cold winters...but what good is the heat, when the people are cold?
zing!

I go outside just to defrost, then its back to work.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:14 PM

13 posts, read 27,281 times
It's hot mainly June-Sept but very bearable. Humidity is nil although during monsoon seasin you probably will notice it a little. Even tbough it's hot it doesn't stop most people from going about their day. Just have to keep hydrated and pace yourself. The weather the rest of the year is great. It does get "cold" in the wintet st night sometimes. There is an occasional frost. We moved from back east several years ago and would never go back to the humidity, snow, ice, gray skies.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:57 AM

175 posts, read 372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
...but what good is the heat, when the people are cold?
That was a rather nebulous statement.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:10 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,761,614 times
Has anyone noticed the temperatures across the states? I would rather be here in 117 than in Houston or Kansas. Good night, they must be dropping like flies on the east coast. I predict a new wave of "I just can't take the heat anymore" moving to AZ next year.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:40 AM

39,096 posts, read 51,300,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Has anyone noticed the temperatures across the states? I would rather be here in 117 than in Houston or Kansas. Good night, they must be dropping like flies on the east coast. I predict a new wave of "I just can't take the heat anymore" moving to AZ next year.
Yes, but their heat is a wave and ours is a season. And, the dewpoint out by me is 70 this morning, there is little chance of rain today. It's just miserable here, there and everywhere this summer. Our advantage is that we are prepared for and know how to live with this kind of heat.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,078 times
Many reasons. Lots of people move to lots of places for lots of reasons. 1. Maybe they grew up there, it's home 2. Some people like the heat 3. They enjoy the winter so much they don't mind giving it up for the summer (the same reason why lots of people move to places where it snows in the winter - the summer is so nice it's worth it) 4. Job opportunities 5. Good colleges 6. Family

Those are only a few reasons. But let me tell you, Arizona is a beautiful place. Maybe it's just because that's where my childhood was spent, but the thing is you can go outside and run in the grass and feel the warmth of the sun ANY DAY OF THE YEAR. The palm trees are beautiful, the occasional rain is glorious, the grass is lush, and you cannot - CANNOT - beat those cool summer nights (yes it may be 105 out, but it's cool compared to the 120 in the day). I hate being stuck here in Colorado. It's May and it's supposed to snow next week -_- I've been cooped up inside for the past 6 months because it's TOO FREAKING COLD to go outside. I can't enjoy the heat, I can't enjoy the palm trees. I can only enjoy wearing 5 layers of clothes as well as gloves, thick socks, boots, hats, scarves, and more every single time I just want to get out of the house. And many people enjoy the terrain in Arizona. Like skiers enjoy Colorado, dirt bikers, hikers, etc enjoy Arizona (did you know there are more mountain peaks and summits in Arizona than any other mountain state, even the so-called "mountainous" Colorado).

Old 05-05-2015, 05:52 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,879,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
This is not meant to be sarcastic at all, but a real question: If it is so gawdawful hot there--and I really have never been there but am interested--why do so many move there? It seems folks there are stuck in the air conditioning for 4-5 months of the year. Can someone clarify this for me?
I'm seriously looking to move there because there are so many baby boomers there, but people in the Midwest keep telling me how hot it is there and that I will not like it.
The Phoenix region surely has to be better for my allergies than Houston was where I had cold-like symptoms way more than I ever should have had.
But, if people are getting stuck living in their homes for 4-5 months of the year due to the heat, that's just like living in Chicago where folks get stuck in the house for 4-5 months of the year due to the chilling cold. Dang!
I have no idea why people want to move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area